Errata in leather bound core books?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I haven't been able to find a thread about this, so I don't know if this question has already been answered. My question is about the new leather bound printing of the core rulebooks. Will they be updated with any errata that is discovered in the hard bound core rule books?

Also, does anyone know if they'll be leather bound versions of the PHB2, DMG2, MM2, PHB3, etc.?
I'm surprised that no one's replied to this. Let me clarify the question:

The 4E core books will be released shortly. No doubt they will be very carefully proof read. However, nobody is perfect and there are bound to be a few mistakes discovered in the core books after release.

The deluxe leather bound editions of the core books will be released in October. Will the deluxe editions be updated with errata that is discovered in the original core books?

Is anyone else interested in the answer to this question?
Given the lag time between printing a book and releasing it to the public, I doubt they'd have more than a few weeks to compile errata and make the required corrections. WotC may simply decide to hold off on any changes until they have a comprehensive list of corrections, at which time they're likely to simply put the info on their website.
I suspect that the leather bound core books will have minimal errata/changes from the standard versions given the short time between the core release and the leather version. This is one of the reasons I'm disappointed that they are releasing the deluxe versions so soon. I would much rather they spaced them out like they did with the 3.5 deluxe versions. This would give more time for applying errata.

It seems like too much of a money grab honestly. Don't get me wrong, I really like my leather 3.5 books. But I didn't mind buying them over time, kind of a nice Christmas gift over a few years. This is too rushed.

L
It seems like too much of a money grab honestly.

You can say that about a lot of WotC recent and future offerrings, ranging from Races and Classes to the DDI.
Meh, you can say that about every WotC offering ever. They are a for-profit company and their business model has always been to saturate the market with product in order to cash in on the fanaticism that surrounds their franchise games. *shrug* Nothing really new here.
I have no plans to pick up the leather bound books... Releasing them three months after the "regular" books is a bit of a slap in the face. The only ones really interested in picking up the deluxe editions will be the serious fans of the game, who, pretty much by definition, will have just laid out for the regular version a few months before. I'm allergic to buying the same book twice, and don't want to wait. If they'd been released at the same time, I might've upgraded to the deluxe versions, but I won't be waiting for them.
I think there will be people who pick them up just for the construction aspect. They have a nice look and feel to them. Unfortunately, I think the early release of these books:
a) turns off the average fan who just bought the same book four months earlier
b) prohibits the amount of errata they can include
c) will stop some purchases just on financial reasons - people only have so much money for their hobby and if they just spent $60-$100 in the couple months before on the new core rules, spending double that amount to get the same books again will have to wait as they'll probably rather spend it on miniatures, tiles, adventures, supplements, etc.

L
I think there will be people who pick them up just for the construction aspect. They have a nice look and feel to them. Unfortunately, I think the early release of these books:
a) turns off the average fan who just bought the same book four months earlier

So, people will stop playing the game that they just bought 3 books for because WOTC offers Leather bound books soon afterwards???!?!

b) prohibits the amount of errata they can include

With just about everyone having access to the internet, errata in a printed copy is a non-factor. Yeah, it'd be nice to have a "perfect" copy in something as nice as the leather-bound edition, but delaying the release of the leather-bound editions for this does not make sense. There are those who will want only one copy of the books, and those that really want the leather-bound edition will want it quickly and WOTC needs to meet that market demand.

c) will stop some purchases just on financial reasons - people only have so much money for their hobby and if they just spent $60-$100 in the couple months before on the new core rules, spending double that amount to get the same books again will have to wait as they'll probably rather spend it on miniatures, tiles, adventures, supplements, etc.

Not sure how this is a bad thing regarding the "early-release" of them. People who have the money will buy them = more profit for WOTC. People who do not have the money, will not buy them right away.

If Wizards delays them further, then people who have the money will not be able to give WOTC that money, and people that don't have the money still won't be able to buy them.
So, people will stop playing the game that they just bought 3 books for because WOTC offers Leather bound books soon afterwards???!?!
*respectfully snipped for space*

Nah... A lot of us just won't buy the fancy leather books. I'm sure they're very nice, but these are game books. I know how I treat game books. They get chucked in a bag, hauled around, banged around, battered. They wind up with all sorts of odd things being used to mark pages. (I've learned to keep a pad of post-it notes in my bag with the books I really care about.) They get passed around, they get Coca-cola spilled on them, and wind up with cheese-doodle orange crap smudged on the pages.

In short, my game books get abused. I won't spend extra on fancy game books that'll get put on a shelf and never touched, or will cause me heart failure every time someone sets their Mountain Dew on the table next to them

Some people will buy them, I'm sure. I just don't have that kind of spare cash to throw around.
I'd be shocked if we see second printings of the PHB, DMG and MM, with corrections any time before the PHB2, MM2 and DMG2. I think all additional print runs prior to then will be as per what we've got now.

WotC have already send the books back to the printers for more copies as pre-sales have been so good. (According to a wizards spokesperson).

Can anyone recall how long is was before the 3.0 core books were being printed including errata? That'll probably be a good indication.
I'll probably pick up leather copies. When looking at a 30 or 40 dollar pricetag already, the leather bound ones, if they follow suite of the last versions, are about twice that? Which means if I'm going to pick up a second copy anyways, I might as well go for the nicer ones anyways as it's close enough in price (For me, I understand many have different opinions, and different budgets) that I might as well get the leather ones when they come out instead of the normal versions.
Last time around, the leather books seemed to be merely leather wrapped versions of the second printing. There will be a fair amount of errors and clarifications in the first few weeks and I found it helpful to have a more perfect version with my 3.5 leatherbound books and found it easier to keep track of my book at the play table. I don't really see why'd they change a successful and popular former practice.