Early 4e sales?

96 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere selling the 4e books early. Yes I am that eager to ditch 3.x. The wait is awful, I don't see what the big deal about a simultaneous launch day is.
Hopefully there is no place doing so and anyone that does is properly prosecuted.

The "big deal" as you put it, is to the gaming shops that have to stock this stuff at risk to themselves. If Barnes and Noble sells their stuff early, or even their local competitors, they are going to lose out big time on the rush sales.

They have a hard enough time keeping up with the massive preorder discounts that Amazon offers.
*whistles nonchalantly and hides amazon.com receipt*
*whistles nonchalantly and hides amazon.com receipt*

Wow! Amazon sells D&D too? :P

I've preordered my core set from Amazon, but I will support my local bookstore (which I"ve done for years) and buy an additional copy (or two) of the PH (at least) once it hits shelves there.

Best of both worlds ;).
/\ Art
Just preorder from Amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com. I ordered the core gift set for $68 before taxes. That's nearly a third off the base cost ($104). If I was a member I could have gotten more off, but I don't wanna because they send you all these e-mails and try to get you to buy stuff you don't want and you never shop there enough to justify the expense and THEY JUST WON'T LEAVE YOU ALONE ONCE THEY KNOW YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh...sorry. Yeah, early 4e releases? That's unlikely unless an employee leaks them. No one at Wizards is that evil, though. Right?
the one annoying thing is that even with one-day shipping, i wont get my order from Amazon until the 9th. so for 3 days ill have to go sit in Barnes & Noble all day, reading the books. :P

i preordered from Amazon since its so much cheaper. for the forthcoming books(adventurers vault, martial power, et al) not sure what ill do. might preorder, might just buy em at my local FLGS. i like supporting my local store.
Just thought you should know. the countdown continues...
my best friend is incharge of my FLGS and he threw a fit at me for suggesting he open the box and let me look at them in front of him in the store pre relase...so Matt if you are reading this...
:hoppingma: :headexplo:

ok now that I got that out of my system...

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

I don't have an FLGS. So I feel no guilt about pre-ordering from Amazon...
Hopefully there is no place doing so and anyone that does is properly prosecuted.

If by prosecuted you mean have penalties within the contract levied against them and/or are sued, then yes I agree. If by prosecuted you mean have the state charge them with a criminal offence, I think that might be a tad zealous ;)
I reserved a copy at my local book store Black&Read mostly because they always give me a 20% off on the new dungeon and dragons books. It is a nice deal
Amazon preorder, way way way back like 2-3 months ago, my price is just under 55 dollars for the gift set. It is more if you preorder now. I am a rabid fanboy enough to order that far in advance, but also cheep enough I took the free shipping choice so will have to wait for the 1oth or 11th to get the books.
I ordered the core gift set for $68 before taxes.

you payed $68? I only payed $54.75 :D YAY FOR B&N 25% OFF COUPONS!!!
you payed $68? I only payed $54.75 :D YAY FOR B&N 25% OFF COUPONS!!!

I paid $74... Canadian.
Live rates at 2008.05.25 00:26:36 UTC
1.00 CAD = 1.01168 USD

:cry:
Dont worry, the US Dollar is catching up to Canada fast.

I work for my local game store, so i got 50% off and my employee discount.
Dont worry, the US Dollar is catching up to Canada fast.

lol Which of us is that supposed to be good for, Haldrik? :P We've spent the past thirty years waiting for our dollar to match the Americans' again...

...and it hasn't made my books any cheaper. :cry:
I work for my local game store, so i got 50% off and my employee discount.

Is that an at-cost discount on D&D products?! I should work at a game store!
If you preorder from amazon it will most likely arrive on the release date. I have preordered all my book and video games from amazon for 3 years or so and while the ship date they give is usually the release date everything I have preordered as actually been delivered on the release date.

I too hope that anyone who sells the 4e stuff early is hit with a significant penalty.
Actually it really depends on if wotc set a street date of exactly june 6. AKa do not open until june 6 on the box.
the one annoying thing is that even with one-day shipping, i wont get my order from Amazon until the 9th. so for 3 days ill have to go sit in Barnes & Noble all day, reading the books. :P

I got the free 3-5 day shipping, and they're arriving on the 10th. Is it really worth it to pay $30+ to get the books one day sooner?
well by luck you can go free shipping via amazon.com and end up getting it within a few days if not sooner depending on luck
Is that an at-cost discount on D&D products?! I should work at a game store!

Actually it's just a deal cause it's an anime store and i normally don't buy merchandise.
Amazon says I will not get the gift set until 15 August because of the release date of the MM 4ed. Is this true or will I be able to purchase all three core books in June?
Whattttttt?????? August? The MM should be available same as the PHB?!?
Playing Scales of War

Rogue.jpg

Amazon says I will not get the gift set until 15 August because of the release date of the MM 4ed. Is this true or will I be able to purchase all three core books in June?

All three are out on the 6th. I only just recently discovered a FLGS so I'm gonna buy me an extra phb on game day from them.

I have a preorder of 4 Player's Handbooks for my players, and 1 Gift Set for myself, all together shipped by Free Super Saver Shipping from Amazon.ca. Because your post worried me, I just doublechecked my order, and sure enough, Amazon (again, .ca) is estimating arrival between the 12th and 17th of June (this year, of course :P).

(It's worth noting that Amazon.ca is also estimating that I will receive my previous order, Keep on the Shadowfell and a Dungeons of Dread booster, tomorrow, Tuesday, 27 May 08, when I actually received it last Friday, 23 May 08. It was shipped Free Super Saver Shipping as well, via Canada Post.)

...So, I feel reassured! Amazon has been good to me! *Knocks on wood.*
If by prosecuted you mean have penalties within the contract levied against them and/or are sued, then yes I agree. If by prosecuted you mean have the state charge them with a criminal offence, I think that might be a tad zealous ;)

Naturally. I don't think there is any actual law against selling books early. It is just a real jerk move to the FLGS who has to eat the lost sales.
We're doing midnight madness and releasing the books at 12:01 am Friday the 6th. We're also running a short adventure for those who want to play that night. Most gaming stores ought to have their first orders in on that Thursday so those of you dealing with local shops might be able to convince your retailers to do the same thing. [Incidentally, Diamond Comics is shipping the books for the Wednesday comic shipment that week so some stores may even have it that early].
I am a member of Amazon Prime which allows me to get 1 day shipping on any item for $3.99. My Keep on the Shadowfell arrived one day earlier than expected and it was shipped 1-day as well, so I'm hoping that means that my books will arrive on Friday (meaning shipped Thursday) instead of Monday.

Time will tell. Sooner or later ... Time will tell.
Naturally. I don't think there is any actual law against selling books early. It is just a real jerk move to the FLGS who has to eat the lost sales.

Agreed.

If a set release date has been set then it is really unfair for stores to release stuff early, especially if those releasing it early are huge corporations and those who are sticking to the date are small independants.

I would have thought that it was the hobbies best interests for FLGSs to get permission to release stuff earlier than big stores since it's FLGS that promote the hobby, get new players interested, host games, sell other products as well as the books, help staff the cons and represent the hobby to the public. Oh well...
Playing Scales of War

Rogue.jpg

What... is an FLGS? I could see some books being sold early in more remote places, but wouldn't WotC be monitoring the sales of them and just not sell books to suppliers if they pull a super dick move like selling early?
dupe.
What... is an FLGS?

Friendly Local Game Store.

I could see some books being sold early in more remote places, but wouldn't WotC be monitoring the sales of them and just not sell books to suppliers if they pull a super dick move like selling early?

Let's say Borders releases a book early and WotC gets $10,000 from them (making up these numbers). WotC retaliates by not giving Borders the books next time and so WotC loses that $10,000.

Doesn't sound like that great of an idea. Now an individual FLGS gives WotC $500 (making up the numbers again). WotC can stand to make an example of the FLGS and lose that $500.
I paid $74... Canadian.

Don't cry. I paid them about 90 euro. That's the price they have here in Italy (3 core books).
Tried once to order books from Amazon and that was a mess for the import procedure. I had to go to the closest airport and custom clear them myself and pay VAT.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

I use amazon all the time because the closest game store is 130+ miles away. I have been a member of amazon prime since it was offered because I probably spend that much on regular shipping in a year so getting 2 day for free was great.

I always get the free 2 day shipping as part of my prime membership and everything I pre-order arrives on the release date. In my confirmation email they list the release date as the estimated ship date but in my experience they ship the order early enough that it arrives on the release date.
I ordered from amazon.com strictly because the two local shops I'm aware of are owned by the same guy and managed by arrogant pricks that I refuse to give my business to. I'd buy from a local gaming shop if there was one that wasn't run this way...
I've seen multiple reports of people that ordered them via the internet of already receiving their books. If that is the case, then WotC should give brick and mortar stores to go ahead to start sales immediately.

Traditional game/book stores have it hard enough, but if internet retailers are allowed to break street date (and this is assuming it is a hard street date), it's just another nail in the coffin for the FLGS.
I ordered from amazon.com strictly because the two local shops I'm aware of are owned by the same guy and managed by arrogant pricks that I refuse to give my business to. I'd buy from a local gaming shop if there was one that wasn't run this way...

I order for much the same reason. There is no FLGS near me, and the closest is a comic store that has so so service and only a 50/50 of having any DND product I want.
I don't see what the big deal about a simultaneous launch day is.

The point is that all businesses get a fair chance to sell the product. If the distribution center is in California then a Barnes and Noble in San Fransisco is likely to have the books before a Borders in Denver and has an advantage in sales. Its to keep competition fair. A street date is usually set far enough beyond the shipping dates that all stores will have received the product and be ready to sell it on that date.
Friendly Local Game Store.

Let's say Borders releases a book early and WotC gets $10,000 from them (making up these numbers). WotC retaliates by not giving Borders the books next time and so WotC loses that $10,000.

Doesn't sound like that great of an idea. Now an individual FLGS gives WotC $500 (making up the numbers again). WotC can stand to make an example of the FLGS and lose that $500.

Publishers can and will levy hefty fines on big chain stores for breaking street date. On the employee level big chain stores can and will fire members of their inventory teams when that happens.
The point is that all businesses get a fair chance to sell the product. If the distribution center is in California then a Barnes and Noble in San Fransisco is likely to have the books before a Borders in Denver and has an advantage in sales. Its to keep competition fair. A street date is usually set far enough beyond the shipping dates that all stores will have received the product and be ready to sell it on that date.

Beyond that, sales numbers are generated from first week/month/60 days of sales. Most publishers are only interested in this for their major releases, so "My Favorite Umber Hulk" by Danny Newcomer isn't street dated, but John Grisham's books will always be. D&D books aren't normally street dated, but there's a lot of stock being put in the 4e rules.

If the first week of sales is set, all the publishers, New York Times list makers*, and such need do is poll "How many units sold from 6/6 to 6/13?" If people put it on sale before street date, this becomes more difficult. ("How many did you sale the first week?" "Um, well, we put it on sale on the first, but... we've sold 82 so far, but... well, it's been two weeks, so I guess, um, 40?") Accurate sales numbers are needed for future marketing and such.
Famous campaign setting: www.sigilprep.com Unfamous web comic: www.department34.com
Sign In to post comments