2 4E questions

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
1) We will be starting 4E soon but my question is, will gesalts still be usable? We only have 4 players(3 + GM)
If so how?

2) Will 4E be sold on PDF's? We play over the internet now. Its soooo much easyer to have a PDF in the back ground then have stacks of books at me feet.
1. No

2. No

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Since you can build encounters to suit party size, such things as gestalts shouldn't be necessary. You can always have someone multiclass.
It was commented that I have created a sort of 4e Gestalt in this thread. However, I feel that a 3 player party should do just fine (so long as the DM scales encounters accordingly.)
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
We have a very "uncreative" dm. He only uses modules.
He uses DM genie to run the whole thing. A simple thing of adding/subtracting hps',ac,att,dmg from mobs he refuses to do because it will mess up his program. I try to explain it to him to keep a note pad on the side of him to keep track of the changes and just use the program to keep track of whos alive/dead. But its a lost issue.
Then why don't you run?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

1) We will be starting 4E soon but my question is, will gesalts still be usable? We only have 4 players(3 + GM)
If so how?

While I don't believe there will be default rules for them at start, I suspect it will be remarkably easy to design a method of creating gestalt characters - you could simply give every character multiclassing feats as bonus feats, and let them follow the mid-level multiclass rules in addition to getting a normal paragon path.

However, an ever better option will be the ability for adventures to be easily customized based on the number of party members, as the rules for scaling an adventure up or down are extremely simplified. Even if your DM is inclined to run adventures 'out of the box', I suspect there will be many that will be designed with built-in instructions for scaling them up or down. Even if not, it will rarely involve changing the enemies you are fighting directly, but simply removing one or two monsters from each encounter.

2) Will 4E be sold on PDF's? We play over the internet now. Its soooo much easyer to have a PDF in the back ground then have stacks of books at me feet.

I don't belive the books will be sold directly as PDFs. However, the Digital Initiative will be something they are offering - a monthly fee will include both convenient programs for running games online, as well as full access to all the rules currently published in all the books released. That would seem a potentially ideal set-up for your situation.
Yea im not to sure on the monthly fee charge. We are all mid 30's now and dont play like we used to. We are lucky if we play 1 time a month now. Christ it took me at least 4 years to get a lvl 15 character. Then he died and we all started from lvl 2 again. Like 5 times. This Dm doesnt know when to let up a bit, it took 4 deaths before he allowed gesalts. Our party is such a mix of players. Me, i usually make when ends up being overpowered characters. Our old dm ( who was a great dm) cant make a character to save his life( first character was an archer with power attack). Our 3rd guy trys to be a RP guy. His last character was an unarmored cleric who tryed to be the front line guy and didnt heal anyone till the end of combat.

I used to DM, guys said i was good at it. I have the ideas but im just not good at RP'ing. Also when we play my wife is usually working and its hard to Dm and take care of kids at same time.
Yea im not to sure on the monthly fee charge. We are all mid 30's now and dont play like we used to. We are lucky if we play 1 time a month now. Christ it took me at least 4 years to get a lvl 15 character. Then he died and we all started from lvl 2 again. Like 5 times. This Dm doesnt know when to let up a bit, it took 4 deaths before he allowed gesalts. Our party is such a mix of players. Me, i usually make when ends up being overpowered characters. Our old dm ( who was a great dm) cant make a character to save his life( first character was an archer with power attack). Our 3rd guy trys to be a RP guy. His last character was an unarmored cleric who tryed to be the front line guy and didnt heal anyone till the end of combat.

Well, good news and bad news for you - with 4th Edition, it should be harder for your friends to make outright bad characters without going out of their way to do so; on the other hand, overpowered characters won't be quite as above the base power level as they were in 3rd Edition. Still, on the whole that sounds like it should help your group's survivability a bit.

As far as the monthly fee goes, you might be able to pool resources and get 1 account for the group (to get full access to the rules and for the DM to have full access to all the needed features), while simply paying a small fee for everyone else to use the online gameboard each time you play. (It sounded like a few dollars would get several game passes, so you are possibly only looking at around $5 a month in total.)

Still, they haven't actually put out the full details for the online set-up, so at this point it is probably something to keep in mind rather than start counting on - just keep an eye out for it, and see if it looks like it suits your needs once they release it in full.

*whince*

Ow, that has got to hurt. Midn you, if it was a human that took the Vow of Poverty feat at 1st level that is entierly possible to survive doing. The unarmored Cleric that is.

There is another option. You have 3 players and a GM, he runs moduals that tend to be for 5-6 heroes, see if he can let you all play two people. I have been in games like that which were really fun. I would play twoc haracters that had entierly different roles in the party, like a sorcerer that specialized in blowing things to bits, and a fighter with the Cleave feat tree. Or Cleric of Pelor that was all about healing and trueth and had a real hard time killing anythign but the undead and demons, and a Rogue that stayed in shadows all the time.