Product Request: Non-collectible minis in multi-packs.

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't play DDM and never will. I don't care about collectibility. I have no use for stat cards. I definitely have no interest in playing the random booster game, spending $100 to end up with 25 minis I might use in a game and 75 that I never will. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.)

I would like WotC to offer singles and multi-packs of non-collectible miniatures, especially of iconics like kobolds, goblins, orcs, ogres, giants, skeletons, zombies, etc.

How about themed "encounter packs" with, say, 6 minions and 6 other minis of the same creature type?

Print them with no DDM info on the base, or with a different base color, to distinguish them from the DDM minis.

How about it?
I too would like to see this, but at the same time you could just buy singles of the DnD minis, or minis from other companies that work just as well. For instance, I know Reaper has now started a non-random non-collectible non-miniatures-game line of prepainted plastics.
+1 Have no interest in 'collectable' minis and do not have any plans to play the mini game. I would love to use them for D&D. Maybe make the base a different color or something to off set them.
I don't play DDM and never will. I don't care about collectibility. I have no use for stat cards. I definitely have no interest in playing the random booster game, spending $100 to end up with 25 minis I might use in a game and 75 that I never will. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.)

I would like WotC to offer singles and multi-packs of non-collectible miniatures, especially of iconics like kobolds, goblins, orcs, ogres, giants, skeletons, zombies, etc.

How about themed "encounter packs" with, say, 6 minions and 6 other minis of the same creature type?

Print them with no DDM info on the base, or with a different base color, to distinguish them from the DDM minis.

How about it?

I agree to some extent. I also do not play DDM, however I realize, much like me using Warhammer mini's to fuel my D&D games, they have to release things to serve two masters. I usually don't buy reaper because I could only use them for roleplaying, while I can use the Warhammer mini's to play that game and for my D&D games, and I don't like Reapers combat rules.

I have stated before; if they could make "encounter packs" like above mentioned, however make them to the points that a normal "build total" that the DDM is set to, (if you've ever seen the clix sets, they sell fairly well) or the pre-built decks from MTG. It's like that; the DDM guys get a "theme decks" and we who play the rpg get monsters we'll use. I honestly think it's a good way to go.

:D The business model is already in their system; the MTG Prebuilt decks.

Other companies (WizKids) have made these big packs, and been fairly successful with them;
-Mechwarrior packs, Warewolf packs, Halo packs, Superhero packs (x-men danger room, Hellboy, Green Lantern corp, Marvel 2029) Aliens vs. Predator... and the list goes on.

And you maintaining selling to two different groups, serving two masters. Some people will still buy the packs, or singles. There would be no other way to get things like beholders, or other things like that.

I don't know if they've thought of this, I would hope that it's being looked at, I know when they came out there were supposed to be battle packs... but that was tossed out... maybe now would be a good time to look at it again.

I mean a pack of undead, seriously a mess of undead that you could design for a 200 point DDM game, so that they work together well in their rules, and we get a load of skeletons and/or Zombies (I just bought the Warhammer ones, but their all gray and I don't have time to paint them, not to mention how many undead do you really need... my answer: a lot).

Thoughts, reactions?
I'm not necessarily decided on this issue. I've used minis with D&D since the mid 80's, and I've spent ALOT over the years between lead/pewter, paint, brushes, etc. while it is nice to have 1-2 dozen each lower undead and humanoid, this is hundreds of minis at $2+ each.

try finding an online retailer that sells singles of DDM. most commons are under $1. to keep costs down, use proxies, only have 1 orc and need 12? use the 1 orc, and anything else you have to represent the other orcs. any 1 dragon mini can stand in for whatever kind of dragon the party runs into. hopefully you get the idea. over a few years you end up with a very sizable collection.

with that said, I do love themed packs. graveyards, humanoids, PCs, dwarves, elves, commoners, drow, dragons. there is ALWAYS room for more minis
I would love to see this from WOTC. I used to be a big fan of painting minis, but just don't have the time to that anymore. I can't justify buying boosters for a couple minis I would actually use in a game. A box of Kobolds, goblins, undead, etc. would be a lot easier than tracking down singles online, which is what I am currently doing.
I think I would rather see Adventure Packs. For each adventure module released, release a single box set containing all the miniatures you need to run it. Assuming a reasonable amount of reuse, so that you don't have 60 orcs in a set where you only need 10 of them in any given battle.
While I would like to see this as well, I don't think it will happen. At least from WotC. I know Reaper Miniatures has a line of plastic minis now, so I'm sure you'll be able to buy what you want.
most "battle packs" tend to have a maximum of 10ish figures in them anyway. So there is no 60 orc problem. however if you want a 60 orc problem you can buy 6 packs, or whatever you need to fill your numbers out.

Haloclix

Mechwarrior packs

DC heros

Danger room, X-men

Aliens

Predator

Hellboy

British SAS (modern)

Dirka-Dirka

Confrontation starter

Army of the wolf yes those are pre-painted mini's.

mixed metal pre-paints

Also there is a World of Warcraft preprinted mini game.

I know most of these can't be used for D&D but there is a building market, and they may be watching this thread... let's hope... Though I agree that they probably won't do it.
I think I would rather see Adventure Packs. For each adventure module released, release a single box set containing all the miniatures you need to run it. Assuming a reasonable amount of reuse, so that you don't have 60 orcs in a set where you only need 10 of them in any given battle.

Seeing as how they could distribute this through the Hasbro store, I think they've kind of run out of excuses for not doing this other than "we are still making money" which is kind of a big one.

Still, like many, I will not buy them until they are non-random.
DDM singles are cheaper than WotC could make non-collectible mini packs. Thus the current distribution model is the optimal one, with regard to cost for RPG minis.

Reasoning:

a) The common/uncommon/rare distribution model is mostly mapped one-to-one with the amount of each type of minis you may need in your game. Creatures that come in hordes (orcs, skeletons, zombies) tend to be common. PC/NPC minis tend to be uncommon, except when they represent common NPCs (Farmers, Prisoners). Monsters that tend to be rare in games are rares (dragons, for instance).

b) Because of the DDM Skirmish game, many boosters are opened by tournament players and singles dealers in order to find the handful of tournament worthy rares, thus devaluing commons and uncommons, as well as many RPG-worthy rares that are not 'competitive' in tournament play

c) Ergo, by buying singles, you're getting the DDM Skirmish community subsidize your minis. Orcs (as commons) are cheap as dirt. Most rares are under 10$ (which is cheaper than, say, the Reaper prepainted plastics). There are only a handful of minis whose cost are prohibitive due to tournament play. In these particular cases, I suggest an alternative. For instance, I hope Reaper starts making dragons, because these are pretty much the only minis I don't own.

Any 'bucket of orcs' product would have to be more expensive than just getting a bucket of orcs from singles dealers in order to be profitable for WotC, thus there's no way that product is going to see the light of day.
Snip
c) Ergo, by buying singles, you're getting the DDM Skirmish community subsidize your minis. Orcs (as commons) are cheap as dirt. Most rares are under 10$ (which is cheaper than, say, the Reaper prepainted plastics). There are only a handful of minis whose cost are prohibitive due to tournament play. In these particular cases, I suggest an alternative. For instance, I hope Reaper starts making dragons, because these are pretty much the only minis I don't own.
Snip

Small thing, the most expensive prepainted reaper does so far is the three pack of Orcs for near 7 dollers, about 2.30 a piece, though I am not below mentioning that most of the monsters fall into the 4-5 dollar range.
So that's noted.
Small thing, the most expensive prepainted reaper does so far is the three pack of Orcs for near 7 dollers, about 2.30 a piece, though I am not below mentioning that most of the monsters fall into the 4-5 dollar range.
So that's noted.

Prepainted DDM Orcs are individually under 1$ as singles...

For the other minis, all of them map to uncommons in DDM, and uncommons don't go above 3-4$.

The Battalian seems like a good deal, because it can stand in for an illithid, which tend to be rares (and tournament worthy).

The Cave Troll is cheaper than the Feral Troll, but I believe some trolls in older releases were uncommons.

Similar with the ogre and minotaur. While some are rares in DDM, I know some ogres and minotaurs were uncommons (I've got a few) and were cheaper than 5$.

I'd also like to mention that, as cheap looking the paint jobs / sculpt in DDM are, they're above the quality I see displayed on the Reaper page everywhere that they're showing actual minis rather than paint masters.
What I would like to see is something along the lines of what you can do at the Lego website. Create a custom set (at a premium cost of course) and order that directly from them. That way if I have a need for 2 Halfling Archers, a Dryad, a human warrior in scale, and 6 goblins of various professions, I could just order all that up. It satisfies our need to only get the pieces we want, but also allows Wizards to make more money by charging a premium for this service. Now they could make it so these custom ordered miniatures were not compatible with the DDM game by, as some had suggested, changing the colour of the base (like Unhinged MTG cards with a silver border). These custom mini's would of course not come with stat cards and would be purely for the PnP RPG. Hell, they could provide direct links to purchasing a custom set in the campaign generator they made for 4e. They would probably sell a lot more mini's following this model, as the convenience factor would increase the accessibility 10 fold. Most people will avoid anything that doesn't have an immediate and direct path to the end result they desire, so they don't like the idea of the booster pack lottery, and they don't like having to hunt on ebay and purchase pieces one at a time. I like random boosters for MTG but I'm less keen on it for this for mini's. The mini's to me aren't the game, just tools to play something else.
Minis with a RPG focus would be great. Not sure if it's in WotC economic interests though. I know nothing about these things.

Still, would be nice to be able to buy a load of kobold/orc/human/whatever minis without the whole random nonsense.
Playing Scales of War

Rogue.jpg

if you don't care for the random thing, buy singles of commons and uncommons. it isn't perfect, but a few common gnolls, goblins, and kobolds can stand in for anything the right size. the biggest key to doing minis on a budget is you get enough to work, not 12 or so of all the commons especially at first.

there are plenty of commons/uncommons that are close enough to represent the party and monsters. being a minis collector, trust me that I know the feeling of wanting everything NOW. when operating on a limited budget, this is simply unrealistic.

the one place that seems to have the best prices, but not the best selection is auggies.

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/auggiesgames/StoreFront

most commons are less than $.50 each.

there are other places with what looks like a better selection, but slightly higher prices

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/home

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main.php

it's just my opinion, but go through the galleries for the last 3 or so minis sets looking for commons and uncommons that will work for what you need. older minis are more likely to be expensive and limited quantities. then check the singles store of your choice or ebay or just google the set name and mini name to find stores.

the biggest thing to remember is common and uncommon minis that are not great for the minis game tend to be cheap to get especially in bulk. this makes them great for the RPG.
I too would be interested in non-random packs. Basic stuff like an "Undead pack", an "Orc pack", that sort of thing would be great. They could also do an "Ooze pack" with a Gelatinous and some various other blobs. "Basic Adventurers" would also be a good idea. Really, I'd be interested in a whole line.

The "collectible" thing is a money-making ploy. I understand that they're in business to make money. Of course, they wouldn't be making that money if people decided not to buy a box of "don't know what you're getting". I guess as long as people buy their product that way, WOTC won't see any reason to make it easier on the customer.

A lot of the consumer's benefits come from what he's willing to put up with. You could sell a "collectible book" where you buy packages of pages. You try to assemble the whole book out of the pages you get in the packs. Of course, the pages that have the really interesting stuff are the rares. Even better, it could be a "collectible trilogy", so you're getting pages out of several different books at the same time. $10,000 later maybe you've got a new fantasy series to read. Would that sell? Only to doofuses, because everyone knows that there are tons of books that you can buy for about 7 bucks each, and you get the whole trilogy for 21 bucks instead of ten thousand. The point is... book consumers are used to getting a whole book, and there are plenty of people who will sell you a whole book. So there's no reason to buy a collectible book. Thus it wouldn't sell.

WOTC is in a good place with their D&D minis because the actual minis fulfill a niche that nobody had taken up (and in many cases could not, because part of that niche includes WOTC IP). If people had balked at the collectible minis, they'd probably be selling non-collectible ones. But obviously they'd rather sell them collectibly, because that's more lucrative. So it's basically up to the consumer. If enough consumers are willing to put up with the pig-in-a-poke model, WOTC probably isn't going to change it just to help out us nebbishes who don't want to spend 40 bucks on a beholder mini (or gamble $180 on pulling one).
Haiku Police
Minis games are cute for a time, collectible games are worthless for gamers. Collectible games are won by the people who have the most money to spend on the random gaming pieces and nothing else.

RPG books aren't sold randomly so their should be easily bought accessories such as minis that can be bought without the random factor as well. PHB boosters packs would not sell when trying to put together a book. there must be a reason that rulesbooks sell as a single pieces rather than random....

Incluide me for one who would like to see this random die out and make way for buying exactly what you are willing to pay for for a change without having to go through some shady secondary or collectible market for individual pieces.
WotC has, at least in a way, started doing these theme packs. The examples I can think of are the white dragon which comes with Drizzt and Wulfgar, and the Battle for Hoth from the Star Wars mini line. Really, if you wan't to see more products like this, I would suggest buy these, and maybe send WotC an e-mail saying how much you liked them. They could start doing more packs like this.

However, that being said, I'd expect to see packs that pretty much happen in the novels and such if they did this. So, while I don't think you'd actually get 1000 orcs, you may get Drizzt and some orcs.

I'm not going to hold my breath for such a thing however.
I would love to see a line of reasonably priced, non-random mini packs. I occasionally buy singles from the only local shop that carries them, but they usually only have a small selection of things from the most recent sets.

Ordering online isn't exactly an optimal solution. The websites that sell singles obviously cater to those who play the mini game, so they aren't organized with people who just want to buy a few kobolds in mind. It's kind of a chore to have to hunt around and find a place that has everything you want in stock, especially for buyers like me who take the extra step of looking up seller reviews after having been screwed over too many times by SketchyInternetStoreRunByPastyLosers.com.

It's a basic thing that a lot of long-time players would appreciate. Then making my pink Carnifex pretend to be a dragon would be a (hilarious) choice, not a necessity. And it really fits in with the goal of helping new people get more involved in D&D. Sets with fun themes or ones that match published adventures would be a big help to those not deep enough in nerd-dom to just have a pink Carnifex laying around.