Futrue 4e Books

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
What new books would you liek to see made for 4e?

I am unaware if there will be a section in the new PHB or DMG that would give the basics like the G1 DnD/ADnD did, but me personally, I would like to see just one complete psionics book that would cover what the 3.5 PH and EPH covered, together.
I'd like to see a 4E equivalent of d20 Modern and d20 Future. It's so much easier when you're using similar systems for all your games instead of using one for fantasy and one for sci-fi.
I would like to see individual Campaign Builders. So a Technology/Steampunk one, a Eastern Culture one, Modern/Future one.
I would like to see individual Campaign Builders. So a Technology/Steampunk one, a Eastern Culture one, Modern/Future one.

That would be AWESOME!!
A book filled with racial options for the monstrous humanoid races, such as goblins, orcs, hobgoblins, etc. It needn't be the only thing in there (because it'd be a stretch to fill an entire book with savage humanoid goodness) but I'd love to see it.

This. Rules sub-set books giving all the era or culture-specific info but not tying it down to a particular setting. Either that, or an alternate version of the 4e PoL setting reimagined with the era/culture-specific info.

I'd also like a book of generic NPCs. I'm not talking fluff, here, just stat blocks. It would be a great time saver to be able to turn to have 1-30 blocks for each race/class combo that I could turn to when DMing. Hell, even just 1-10 for low-level thugs and goons would be great.
I would love to see a book on mass warfare asap in the new edition; such things like the organisations system from the 3.5 PHB2. I'm currently running an evil (LE, diabolic patronage) 3.5 game where the party's motivation is to take over the known world, and I would love to be able to convert the game asap with as little house rules as needed to dive into the new addition.

I realize that my motivation is very campaign-specific, but with some new elements such as minions and warlords, I can only hope for more mass-battle-friendly elements that are as-of-yet unmentioned in the corebooks and simular elements of the game to come.

Eighteen days till 4e. I feel like a kid a month from Christmass!
I want a book set up like tomb of magic was in 3.5 (3 section seprate)
each section has a city detailed... mostly fluff but a few stat blocks, generic enough to drop in anywhere, no major plot explanations, but maybe some hooks for a DM to work with. Put one out a year called city scape, and every year you get 3 generic citys to help flesh your world.

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Maybe an origin book based on the origin type of the monster stat block, like the Liber Mortis did for undead and Lords of Madness did for aberrations, but for the Fey, Giants or Elementals(Primordials).

Bel
Originally Posted by WotC_RichBaker In related news, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your 3.5 rulebooks, and force you to convert to the new edition. Where do you live?
I'm a big fan of modules over splatbooks. I'd rather see a small horde of generic 'PoL' setting adventures that I can use/convert/mine ideas from.
I've got a HUGE list. Keep in mind that I find fantasy world-building to be much more fun and interesting than playing D&D. So I'm more interested in creating immersive environments than I am crunch. However, when I do play, I play mystic theurges with Improved Toughness, heavy armor proficiency (I don't use ASF; it looks like WotC has gone that way too, and I allow MT levels to count towards turning undead and familiars), and greatsword focus. Which you just can't do right in 3e until the mid levels.

• Stronghold Construction on par with the 3.0 Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, mass combat, and ruling a domain
  • A world building guide that actually helps by taking from all the sciences you actually would need (plate tectonics, basic climatology, ecology, physical geography, human geography, macroeconomics, political science, mass psychology, cultural studies, meteorology, etc.) and includes topics like Dyson Spheres, diskworlds, ringworlds, toroidal worlds, waterworlds, stars, voidworlds, cluster worlds, infinite planes, etc..
  • TINY FONTS WITH TINY, UNDECORATED MARGINS WITH THREE COLUMNS PER PAGE ACROSS 320 OR MORE PAGES, with a ton of quality. As in, as much useful stuff as d20 Future has, in every single splatbook. Or think the 2e DMG, only with more useful information.
  • REAL-WORLD MAP PROJECTIONS. It's difficult to translate Faerun to a sphere, and it's difficult to gauge where the longitude lines are supposed to be. World maps should specify latitude and longitude for reference.
  • And give us detailed National-Geographic style maps of climate, population distribution, natural resources, etc.
  • Make the splatbooks be much more than just "X new prestige classes, Y new feats, Z new spells, and W new magic items" based around a race, class role, environment, etc.
  • Good, balanced conversions of all 1e, 2e, and 3e things, keeping the original feel and not "kewlifying" them - I don't want chaotic evil pseudonatural flumphs that look like they could pwn anything in sight. Those are called grells.
  • Chronomancer, with detailed rules for time travel at all levels
  • A Steampunk CS (like Arcanum)
  • 4e adaptations of D20 Past, D20 Modern, D20 Future (with all the goodies)
  • Encyclopedia Arcane: Constructs (It Is Alive)
  • A Book of Erotic Fantasy by Gwen Kestrel again
  • Oriental Adventures
  • Rules for immortal characters (make three more tiers from level 30 to 60)
  • Dark Sun CS (Free Year 0)
  • Spelljammer CS (it's okay if you drop the crystal spheres, as long as you keep Herdspace and all the world types)
  • Birthright CS (maybe include it in the book about mass combat and ruling)
  • Dragonlance CS (just before the War of the Lance)
  • Lankhmar CS (keep the old 1e flavor)
  • Greyhawk CS (576 CY)
  • Ravenloft CS (735)
  • Gamma World CS (I like the goofy edition with centisteeds)
  • Cyberpunk (think RIFTS)
  • Manga/Anime CS (think Slayers)
  • More conversions of 3.5 base classes (Bard, Barbarian, Monk, Factotum, Psion, Archivist, etc.)
  • Unearthed Arcana stuffed with rules that feel like earlier editions (particularly 2e and 3.5)
  • Superheroes
  • Tomes of Horrors updating every monster ever made for D&D, no matter how lame, from the earliest days of D&D (killer bubbles, flumphs, etc) to the final books of 3.5e (acid born sharks, nothics, dragonspawn, etc.).
  • Arabian Adventures

I think that sums it up - campaign settings, classes, every last monster updated, construct creation, time travel, high technology, steampunk, world building that allows for reasonable random world generation, divine ascension, mature content, and more genres beyond medieval high fantasy.
definitely want to see 4e oriental supplement!
I would love to see a 4th Edition Book that uses the Cthulhu Mythos... or at least something Lovecraft themed.:88E:
I would love to see a 4th Edition Book that uses the Cthulhu Mythos... or at least something Lovecraft themed.:88E:

You know I have been working on a CS like that, with a Renasance just comeing out of the Dark age feel.

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Book of Vile Darkness!!!!!
I would actually like to see regular adventures published and see WOTC use some restraint in the crunchy bits they release.. my biggest problem with 3.0/3.5 was the sheer number of classes and prestige classes, that when you think about it would probably have been better served as being character builds, i.e WOTC could have released a guide to building characters like the Architivist, knight, ninja etc by saying start with Class X and take these feats to build you desired character...

Having said that i would love to a book of character arch-types, basically consisting of advice on how to build a certain type of character under the rules, and then providing a low level, mid level and high level stat block for the suggested characters.
If you have any 4E conceptual issues or rules that you would like help with feel free to PM me. Roleplaying since 88! Guide To Dealing With Problematic Posters
CHRONOMANCER!!!!!! Sorry, someone mentioned it, and that's what I want to see.
Elondir has a nice list and a lot of what I'd love to see is one. Two notes though.

1) Add an Arabian Adventures book.
2) On the Oriental Adventures book, please give me a generic land that features legend-type stuff from China, Korea, SE Asia as well as Japan.
I'd like to see a 4E equivalent of d20 Modern and d20 Future. It's so much easier when you're using similar systems for all your games instead of using one for fantasy and one for sci-fi.

This or Eberron. Because I lurvs me some Artificers.

Seriously, screw Faerun. I'm so sick of everything Faerun anymore, why can't we focus on something new?

Alternatively, I would love to see a Spelljammers conversion... it never quite made it in 3.5.

I think that would more or less make me happy. I want to see something OTHER than the Forgotten Realms once again becoming the mainstay campaign world. Eberron, being fresh and a sort of hot item, would really do well to get people to move to 4E I think.
Well next year you'll get Eberron and Spelljammer is one of the possible one setting per-year that will be done, along with; Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Dark Sun and Planescape.
Stone and bronze age! Please...

Prehistoric and Ancient settings are a bit of a challenge; tech tiers built into equipment lists would be great. (This will almost be mandatory before a Dark Sun supplement is released anyway.)

Dragon magazine once ran a great series of articles with African PC classes and magic. RPGA even had a jungle campaign. I don't understand why we don't have options for more primitive cultures (whether as backgrounds or settings).

Once this is done, WotC can get around to making my dream setting:

The Ancient Mediterranean! 400 - 300 BC. Come on, you know you want to...

(As do all the kids at the moment, now people know about Thermopylae.)
Monster Manual #237 please.
I would perfer it to come out before MM #236 just to confuse people
I feel like I should mention that Heroes of Battle/Heroes of Horror were two of my favorite books in 3.x. I think books that help DMs with special rules for specialized adventures or campaigns while not being their own campaign are good.
i agree on a book of war being superb...but only if the game table (virtual) could be used. imagine......armies of minis of whatever races and species in formations that players move and command....with battlefield simulations like billowing smoke and fire....AWESOME!!!!!!!

such book could be so detailed as to have war machinations and war spells etc......You know.......a book of this nature is almost imperative..........

Also...while campaign settings bks are great ...bks that really cater to designing your own setting are far more rewarding....a bk on designing cities from the ground up would be great ..everything from social levels to army sizes to costs to maintain said communities........of course being able to incorporate these cities visualy into the online game table is as well a must.

such a bk exists already called fields of blood that incorporates all of the above...so i guess it would be great to see it or a similar bk added since its not by wotc.
I want to see another campaign setting search, like they did for Eberron.

• a 4E version of Stronghold Builder's Guidebook: already got it.
  • Yet another cleric/divine magic user supplement: yawn.
  • Yet another race book, environment book, etc.: also yawn.
  • Alternate magic system, a la Tome of Magic: huh?
  • A 4E analog to Book of Nine Swords: hmm... this has potential, if only it were cohesive and unified and fit into my campaign.
  • Book of alternate planes or planar campaign setting: been done.

Next to launching a new edition, there's nothing as exciting as launching a brand new campaign setting.
I would actually like to see regular adventures published and see WOTC use some restraint in the crunchy bits they release.. my biggest problem with 3.0/3.5 was the sheer number of classes and prestige classes, that when you think about it would probably have been better served as being character builds, i.e WOTC could have released a guide to building characters like the Architivist, knight, ninja etc by saying start with Class X and take these feats to build you desired character...

They did do this with 3E - the Hero Builder' Guidebook. Everyone I know hated it, and wanted prestige classes instead of "take X to be a Y". People seem to want to be able to be a [insert class here] without having to "build up" to it, or have the class name attached to their character like some sort of medal or name tag, afraid everyone else won't realize they a "ninja" or whatever.

Having said that i would love to a book of character arch-types, basically consisting of advice on how to build a certain type of character under the rules, and then providing a low level, mid level and high level stat block for the suggested characters.

Yes! Good 'ol Rogue's Gallery. 3E needed this badly, I'm sure 4E could benefit from it.
I just want a cormyr source book, a netherese source book and a dwarven dungeon crawl in the mines of Tethyamar.
I would like to see an "Alternate History" D&D Product/Setting.
What do I mean by Alternate History?
An Alternate History setting is when you go back in time to a certain point in history and you change one thing, and then from that point all subsequent events spring from that one change made in history. In this case the change made to history is the addition of magic and monsters.

One example would be to add the magic and monsters at the time of Alexander the Great's conquest of India. For some strange reason the monsters and various fantasy races just show up all at once. The Elves don't know how they got there, neither do the Orcs or the Giants, they just all of the sudden appear all over the World. As a consequence to this event all things afterwards change. Alexander lives to a ripe old age of 70, and he founds an Empire that lasts 1,000 years, and then that empire crumbles, and a Feudal period ensues, with medeaval successor states that continue up to what we would call the 21st century in our world. One enterprising World War II vet stumbles upon a gate to this world, technology above medeval is inoperative, but he capitalizes upon the know location of mineral resources. The geology is identical to Earth with the exception of various changes made by fantasy creatures and various magic using characters.

I've gleened some of these ideas from the novel Conquistador by S.M. Stirling, all except the magic and monster parts. The inoperative technology idea comes from his Dies the Fire series, although in this case it has been this way since the time of Alexander the Great. It is a fairly pagan World, so you can drop in the D&D gods, or add in some descendents of the Greek deities if you feel creative.
Elondir has a nice list and a lot of what I'd love to see is one. Two notes though.

1) Add an Arabian Adventures book.
2) On the Oriental Adventures book, please give me a generic land that features legend-type stuff from China, Korea, SE Asia as well as Japan.

both would be must buys
I had wanted there to be a separate Psoinics book, perhaps the Psionics Sourcebook or something. Not going to get it. (Psionics is in the PHB2)

I had wanted a separate Oriental Adventures book. Not going to get it. (Ki is problebly in the PHB3)

so here is what I want now...

Forgotten Realms that isn't so damn complicated. How many god did that setting have? Wizards are a part of a weave and wear diffenent colored clothing according to alignment? why? Hopefully the thing is streamlined and the Weave disappears. It is a good sign to see the player's guide be a separate book than the campaign setting.

The best of Dragon that would be upgraded to 4th. Perhaps some form the Compendium that came out recently and some other material that is picked from the treasure trove of material that is in the mags.

Planescape. Whatever the planes are in this new edition, I want to see the new Planescape setting out soon, with the donut intact.

Dark Sun. The setting was unique and had a good structure to build on. Now if the magic users can be done differently and another explanation for the deserts be introduced, it would be better than ever.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Well in a manner of speaking, Thax you will get Psionic and Ki specific books. Since there will be a book for each Power Source it seems, what with the "Martial Power" book coming out later on in the year.
I want a book set up like tomb of magic was in 3.5 (3 section seprate)
each section has a city detailed... mostly fluff but a few stat blocks, generic enough to drop in anywhere, no major plot explanations, but maybe some hooks for a DM to work with. Put one out a year called city scape, and every year you get 3 generic citys to help flesh your world.

Fruedian Slip?

That aside, I'd like to see a steam punk setting. Something very Victorian, with steam work golems, magically enhanced trains, Air ships, decent guns, and a lot of running through the fog at night by gaslight.
Brew'N Games: A Homebrewing Blog, Both Games and Beer. "The Sky is Falling Like a Sock of Cocaine in the Ministry of Information..." - Man Man, Black Mission Goggles
This. Rules sub-set books giving all the era or culture-specific info but not tying it down to a particular setting. Either that, or an alternate version of the 4e PoL setting reimagined with the era/culture-specific info.

I'd also like a book of generic NPCs. I'm not talking fluff, here, just stat blocks. It would be a great time saver to be able to turn to have 1-30 blocks for each race/class combo that I could turn to when DMing. Hell, even just 1-10 for low-level thugs and goons would be great.

The need for complete stat blocks for NPCs is *much* lower in 4e - and the MM now includes a number of Human/Dwarf/Elf NPC "monsters" for encounters ;)

I'd love to see a low magic campaign builder as well :D
Hmmm... 4E books, eh?

- Dark Sun CS. Definitely the best campaign setting I ever DM'ed in.

- Planescape CS. One of my players is interested in plane-hopping in 4E, so that would work.

- Superhero CS - 4E seems perfectly suited to this genre. The at-will, per-encounter, and per-day powers could suit superpowers nicely. (I might try to homebrew rules for this if I have time )

- I can't remember what this one was going to be. Oh well.
I'd like to see the PoL fluff expanded in a cohesive CS. I just like it so :D
The need for complete stat blocks for NPCs is *much* lower in 4e - and the MM now includes a number of Human/Dwarf/Elf NPC "monsters" for encounters ;)

Awesome! Can't wait to see these damned books!
I would like to see:
- A Psionics Handbook
- Monsters of Legend book. Not just a MM, but something that fleshes out encounters with critters from myth, legend and fiction.
- Literary Conversions in Dragon.
- A new d20 Modern w/o the starter classes. Along with this, some of the old campaigns (Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Top Secret) come back along with it.
- Non-random Minis for those of us needing minis for a campaign
- A new Oriental Adventures and maybe a line off quasi-historical books akin to it (Viking Adventures, Celtic Adventures, etc.)
- True Name magic
- A GI Joe Saga game/d20M CS
- Dragonlance CS
- Greyhawk CS
- An Eberron CS early in 2k9
- A Star Wars Insider w/ character visualizer and support in the online mapper and GM Table
Splatbooks for Power Sources, Campaign Settings, and future PHB's and MM's have me very happy with the projected releases. Too bad Greyhawk is so far off.

However, with the extended scope of the game (level 1-30 are playable, not 1-15 or so) I'm thinking more high level threats would be cool / necessary. Sounds like we'll get some of that in the Manual of the Planes... but if not, here are some other ideas:

Elder Evils
Deities & Demigods
Call of Cthulhu (new d20 4E edition)
--Or a sourcebook on the Far Realms would be almost as good and license-friendly

Alternatively, Elder Evils type monsters would make a great series of Dragon Articles. (hint hint).

I also vote for giving Oriental Adventures the 4E treatment; and maybe improve an existing property like Kara-Tur instead of Rokugan.
I'd like to see an equivalent of the Complete Mage and/or Arcane. I'd like to see an expanded spell list. Also, there was mention of a possible "Vestige Pact" in one of the preview booklets that got left out of the PHB. Flavor-wise, I'd LOVE to see that added.

Also, I'm wanting to see how in-depth WOTC gets with the Epic tier.

Beyond that, I can't wait for Eberron to make the transition to 4#.
I'd like to see an equivalent of the Complete Mage and/or Arcane. I'd like to see an expanded spell list. Also, there was mention of a possible "Vestige Pact" in one of the preview booklets that got left out of the PHB. Flavor-wise, I'd LOVE to see that added.

Also, I'm wanting to see how in-depth WOTC gets with the Epic tier.

Beyond that, I can't wait for Eberron to make the transition to 4#.

We will be seeing a set of 4e books like the Complete Mage/Scoundrel/Warrior books. The first one, 'Martial Powers', comes out in October.
Brew'N Games: A Homebrewing Blog, Both Games and Beer. "The Sky is Falling Like a Sock of Cocaine in the Ministry of Information..." - Man Man, Black Mission Goggles