Will there be 3.5 to 4e conversions?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, so I'm sure this question has been asked a dozen times or so - but, rather than spending hours scouring through the forums I will ask outright.

I've purchased the new Star Wars Saga Edition and understand 4e will be a lot like that. Now, on that principal it looks as if it'll be easy to convert my 3.5 into 4e... if that is the case.

has anyone found info on whether or not that is the case? Will my 3.5 books become relics just like my old West End Games Star Wars books and AD&D stuff?
I was at Gen Con this year I was told that there will be no conversion manual and that they recommend you start from scratch with fourth edition. Im not sure if this has changed since then it's entirely possible. To the best of my knowledge there will be no conversion manual for 3.5 to 4th.
As far as I know there will be no conversion manual. Conversion will be quite possible though, as long as you convert the concept and character, not necessarily the stats.
Your old books may become relics but they will still be useful. The mechanics in the books will most likely be useless but everything in those books can be used for ideas and inspiration.
Unless it has to do with the planes, core assumptions about demons, devils, and other outsiders, or is set in FR. Then it might as well not exist in 4.0.
Yep.

Remember- the purpose of 4.0 is to make you buy more books. So it's unlikely they'll let stand nearly anything they can change, in order to more forward with that idea.

Yes, my view is slanted.
But it's still my view.

-S
WotC is unlikely to provide conversions, for the reasons provided here.

However, the [thread=983097]current discussion of what the forums will look like in June[/thread] includes a forum for fan-posted conversions.

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

From what is known so far, 4e is so different from 3.5e that it should be easier to just build your alternate char from scratch.

Unlike 2nd the game is now much much more varied and noone can hope to convert all the plethora of prestige classes everyone runs around with.
Unless it has to do with the planes, core assumptions about demons, devils, and other outsiders, or is set in FR. Then it might as well not exist in 4.0.

Every bit of that can be used for inspiration. It might not be the same as it was in 3.5 but you can still use it for ideas.
No, there won't be. WoTC didn't really do one for 2E to 3.0 and those systems were much closer than 3.X is to 4.0
There absolutely was a 2e -> 3e conversion document. It didn't work very well, but it existed.

John Ling

There absolutely was a 2e -> 3e conversion document. It didn't work very well, but it existed.

Yes, there was but it was so flawed as to be useless for actually converting.
No, there won't be. WoTC didn't really do one for 2E to 3.0 and those systems were much closer than 3.X is to 4.0

That's why I said "it didn't work well" in my post.

It actually worked OK (but not great) if you had a single-classed character. It really fell apart, in my opinion, with multiclassing.

But anyway... WotC will not be offering an official conversion guide, as has been said. They do seem to be willing to have a "Conversion" forum, so fans can offer that material on their own.

John Ling

That's why I said "it didn't work well" in my post.

It actually worked OK (but not great) if you had a single-classed character. It really fell apart, in my opinion, with multiclassing.

Actually converting a 10th level 2nd Ed Wizard to a 3.0 10th wizard is nuts. The amount of XP and game time doesn't come close. It would be closer to a 16th level 3.0 Wizard.

I compared a 20th level fighter once. It was close to 50th in 3.0 experience wise. Remember that leveling speed in 3.X is a lot faster.
I have another question, along the same vien,

Is there an official list of what 3.5 books are going to recieve web based updates to 4e?

I read in one article that they will be for at elase Elder Evils as well as Exemplars of Evil.

Do we know of any others?
I've purchased the new Star Wars Saga Edition and understand 4e will be a lot like that.

Since the release of SW Saga Edition (based on 4e alpha development material), much have changed since then.

Now, on that principal it looks as if it'll be easy to convert my 3.5 into 4e... if that is the case.

Why limit to 3e? Why not 1e, 2e, or even OD&D?

Will my 3.5 books become relics...?

Relics? Hardly. After 8 years, I'm not ready to say goodbye to 3e.
Is there an official list of what 3.5 books are going to recieve web based updates to 4e?

Here's the (official) answer given by Scott Rouse:
There are books and products not tied to any edition (edition proof):

Dungeon Tiles
Dice
Three Dragon Ante
Inn Fighting
Dungeon Survival Guide
Grand History of the Realms
Eberron Survival Guide

There are books and products that will get a 4e update

Exemplars of Evil
Elder Evils
Dragons of Eberron
Eberron City of Stormreach
Desert of Desolation DDM

and there are products that are 4e previews or feature final 4e rules

Wizards Presents: Classes and Races
Wizards Presents: Worlds and Monsters
Grand History of the Realms
Desert of Desolation DDM
Keep on the Shadowfell
Dungeons of Dread DDM
DDM Starter

SR. Brand Manager - Dungeons & Dragons
Wizards of the Coast

He later added the following comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyfair
Not Dragons of Eberron?

My bad yes and Dragons of Eberron

You could always just play Pathfinder (see sig), or see how the free demo works for you.
Here's the (official) answer given by Scott Rouse:

He later added the following comment:

Glad they aren't going to taint Greyhawk.