Is anyone still buying 3.5?

322 posts / 0 new
Last post
Has anyone touched any of the books Wotc has pumped out since 4th was announced? Even by their standard, the last batch of books has been pretty thin.

Mark Charke
I only purchased PHB, DMG, MM and MIC...

So I don't really count but yes..I stopped I was gonna by a couple of others but changed my mine until they get Ebay'ed or clearanced later.
3.5? Psh, what a fad. You guys will be crawling back to AD&D once you realize how superior THAC0 is.
Rules Compendium completed my set.
Rules Compendium completed my set.

same here

I think I might buy elder evils though but I won't run that for a very long time.

I will still be playing 3.5 for a very long time while learning 4th ed.
Dragons of Eberron, Rules Compendium, Races of the Wild, Races of Destiny, and Races of Stone have all been purchased I made since 4e was announced. I also plan to purchase City of Stormreach.
Has anyone touched any of the books Wotc has pumped out since 4th was announced? Even by their standard, the last batch of books has been pretty thin.

Mark Charke

I would if I had a new job and thus new money flowing in. I don't intend to do much with 4e.
You can talk to me, but I won't promise to be nice.
I haven't bought much of the new stuff but I have been catching up on older things I hadn't bought yet (complete series, environment series). 4E won't stop me from continuing to buy Eberron supplements. I got DoE but I don't know if that came out after the announcement or not.
M
As my personal protest to the quick release of 4.0 after 3.5 I stopped buying 3.5 stuff. of course I'll buy much 4.0 stuff, being a PRG addict
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
Now that prices are expected to fall, starting to buy 3.5e books becomes again an interesting idea.
But as someone said before, I allready do have PHB, DMG, MM and Spell Compendium, so there isn't really any need to buy anything.
Lands of the Barbarian Kings Campaign Setting - http://barbaripedia.eu
I'll probably buy Elder Evils, it looks like fun. I've also been buying some used 3.5 books on Amazon.com and ebay because they're so cheap. Of course, I also don't plan on switching to 4.0 for a couple of years (if at all), so I'll still get quite a bit of mileage out of them.
I might pick up Draconomicon cheap if I can. While it does have a lot of crunch, the parts i've read of physiology and tactics can't change too much with 4e. And maybe I could adapt the dragons over...
Book needed to complete my set:

Magic Item Compendium
Complete Champion
Drow of the Underdark
Monster Manual V
Exemplars of Evil
Rules Compendium
Elder Evils
Since the release of 4.0 information, I actually purchased Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, Magic Item Compendium, and City of Splendors: Waterdeep. I am well aware of how unlikely that any of these will be useable at 4.0, but I like the 3.5 rules well enough that I might continue to run a campaign in 3.5 while learning 4.0. My parties tend to be sticklers for rulesets learned and it was bad enough converting two of them from 2 to 3.5. Fortunately they are on two year cycles and those guys will be moving in six months, right before 4.0. :D
I might pick up Draconomicon cheap if I can. While it does have a lot of crunch, the parts i've read of physiology and tactics can't change too much with 4e. And maybe I could adapt the dragons over...

-It was a very good book. The Draconomicon had a very high price, even for a D&D book, though. Off the top of my mind, I think the price on the back cover is $45.99.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
I want to buy Savage Species, but it's been hard to find to find in stores

Mark Charke

I just had a look around in my local gaming shop.
D20 & DnD has a small corner in the back of the shop.. stacked with other marginal stuff like cthulhu, rune quest, hero wars.. and many more i cannot even name ;)

The majority is anime books, warhammer miniatures and some ...ever shrinking gaming cards. Board games appear to be having a come back.
Things were never this bad even when tsr was down and the whole brand was in limbo! Maybe because i kept collecting planescape and other such funny stuff ;)
but back to the question.. nothing since.. september?
Got first exp to undermountain and greyhawk.

And got thruoughtly disgusted with the encounter-whats-its-called-format.
And felt quite cheated too...
Then a third party product -city of brass. Now that one made me happy.. almost happy enough to forget the expedition farce. Almost.

Nothing since then. Althought i thought of getting the history of the realms... why bother anymore. Its all dead, gone and buried now.
I flipped thru one of the 6 copies the gameshop had bought of the race and class or whatsitcalled... damn, seemed like a sold ad to me.

That kind of stuff was handed away by the tonne to sell the third edition to us... and now we are expected to shell out €20 to get ads???
No thanks.. no thanks indeed!

I have a strong feeling they wont be selling more than one of those 6. And that one buyer will be feeling cheated..
-It was a very good book. The Draconomicon had a very high price, even for a D&D book, though. Off the top of my mind, I think the price on the back cover is $45.99.

Sure. If you live in Canada. It was $39.95 USD.
You can talk to me, but I won't promise to be nice.
Sure. If you live in Canada. It was $39.95 USD.

-That's what it was. $39.95. But, compare that to the average price of $29.99, and you're still getting a more expensive book.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
I´m after the old Dark Sun!Bog blast 4.0, I´m going back to AD&D!

On a side note, I think I may buy that Eberron thingy after they announced Forgotten Realms is turning into Forgetable Realms.
-That's what it was. $39.95. But, compare that to the average price of $29.99, and you're still getting a more expensive book.

pff.. and i paid ⁈50.
try laughing about that..
pff.. and i paid ⁈50.
try laughing about that..

-Well, that's what you get for having Universal Health Care and a higher standard of living. :P
Just a little while ago I bought Tome Of Magic for $6 on Amazon.com. 4e is pushing all the prices of the 3.5 books down. Magic Of Incarnum was going for like $3. Unfortunately, the cheapest Tome Of Battle I found was "only" $10 below the MSRP.
The Expanded Psionics Group You don't have to be psychic to join, but it helps!
I plan on sticking with 3.5 until well after 2011 or 2012, maybe even longer. I've spent too much money on it to abandon it so easily!
4e is pushing all the prices of the 3.5 books down.

-Wait until everyone suddenly starts buying 3e books, to complete their collections. Then inflation is going to set in, and they'll likely return to their normal price, or higher, depending on the book.
Nah, I doubt demand will hit that hard. Plus I'm mostly looking at used books, where there's some insulation form such market forces.
The Expanded Psionics Group You don't have to be psychic to join, but it helps!
I got the book of exalted deeds for Christmas. I plan on picking up the MMs that I don't have, and possibly a few others. 4th edition isn't attracting me at all.
I bought the Rules Compendium not too long ago. I'll probably pick up the Eberron books too if I can find them second-hand and/or cheap. Although I haven't heard any kind of announcement, I would really like to see another volume of material from Dragon Magazine to be released. I don't ever plan on updating to 4E as 3.5 works perfectly fine for me and my group. If there's something I particularly like about the new edition I'll find a way to house rule it in.

Mark Charke

I have. And I intend to buy more if more good ones come out.

Which is more than I can say for 4.0
I bought the Rules Compendium not too long ago.

-How is it? Does it literally have every rule? And, does it explain said rules, or does it just cite where to find the actual instructions?
-How is it? Does it literally have every rule? And, does it explain said rules, or does it just cite where to find the actual instructions?

Rules compendium is awesome. they talk about what you can do in D&D without getting a feat for it. and no they don't just site the rule they explain it and then they explain it in a little more detail. usually about 1 page per rule. they also give you insight about why some rules are the way the are, and how they came to be. (behind the curtain, footnotes, experiences etc)

one thing they haven't done that I wish they did is a feat compendium. I would buy that in a second.

im tired of going through 15 different books for a good feat to get
one thing they haven't done that I wish they did is a feat compendium. I would buy that in a second.

im tired of going through 15 different books for a good feat to get

-They have plenty of unofficial ones on the internet. Just look and you'll come up with something. Feats and PrCs.
I sold the last of my 3.0 and 3.5 collection on eBay recently. I must have had 50+ books but the annoucement of 4e put me off D&D. I may even consider running an AD&D 1st edition campaign as a friend of mine has all the old books and wants to offload them! Lucky Me!

Seriously though, I won't be buying 4e after spending so much on 3e. Besides I've discovered World of Darkness which is a far superior system IMO and encourages role playing over power gaming which seems to be where D&D is heading after looking at the 4e articles and that's a route I don't want to take. Sad really...

Mark Charke

i plan to buy the remaining dragonlance gaming books i dont have along with the 5th monster manual. aside from that i dont plan to buy anything else. but i havnt researched whats out yet. i may pick up a few more books if i can mainly due to trying to stay with 3.5. i dont plan to update to 4e for some years.
Besides I've discovered World of Darkness which is a far superior system IMO and encourages role playing over power gaming which seems to be where D&D is heading after looking at the 4e articles and that's a route I don't want to take. Sad really...

WoD is good for RP but terrible for combat. Trust me on this I played it for 2 years. My character never got any real strength. Sure I could do some cool things but the health system really blows. I think the next time I play WoD I will convert the WoD Health system over to the Deadlands Health system and that might remove some of my problems with the game.

Now back to the original topic, I only have 2 books left on my list for 3.5 D&D Examplers of Evil and Stormreach. After I get those I will be saving up for 4th ed. The system seems very promising but with the lack of game options at the start I will be waiting till later before I start playing the new system so I will still be using all my old 3.5 stuff.
I'm planning on buying about 3 or 4 more books to round out a collection that I have whittled down to what I consider the bare essentials.
I will once they all go on sale. I decided the second they introduced 4ed that I'm not going to play it, so I'll just pick up some books for less than they should be.
I'm not still buying 3.5, but that's because I've already bought everything. Except Complete Psionic and Cityscape, which I didn't want.
Yes, I'm still buying both new and used 3e books.
I bought Dragons of Eberron and Rules Compendium after the 4e announcement, and I'm buying used books up as fast as they show up at my local used book store. Apparently a lot of people think the books will stop working after the edition change, so I'm picking up every 3e book out there for $10-$15 each.
Apparently a lot of people think the books will stop working after the edition change

To be fair, many people's 3e books will stop working after the edition change. If a group switches over, you might be forced between 4e or no DnD at all, especially if there aren't a whole lot of gamers with your schedule in the area.