Inn-Fighting Question

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure if this should go here.

When you cause damage from your defense action (like the wizards fireball or the barkeeps crossbow) do you get those lost HP as VP? Or do they simply go back to the bank?
I'm not affiliated with Wizards so my answer is considerably less than official, but here is my adjudication:

Inn-Fighting rulebook page 18
Heading: Hit Points and Victory Points
Sub-Heading: Damage and VP

"When you damage an opponent's Adventurer, remove that many Hit Point tokens from the character and place them in your Victory Point pile."

I read that as saying anytime you damage an opponent's Adventurer, not just when you damage them from an attack. So if you're lucky enough to damage an attacker with a defense roll you should get those hit points as victory points. But again, I could be wrong. Also I note that you specifically asked about the Drow Barkeep's Hand Crossbow and the Elf Wizard's Fireball. In the case of the Crossbow, the card instructs you to deal 2 damage to the attacker, which would be the opponent's Adventurer. In that case you should get those 2 Hit Points and add them to your Victory Points. The Wizard's Fireball is different. Each opponent chooses one of his characters, which could be either an Adventurer or Bystander, to take damage equal to the dice roll. You only take Victory Points if those Hit Points came from Adventurers, not Bystanders according to my reading of the cited rule above. I hope this helps.

I, too, have a question though. What is the game mechanic effect of alignment?

Inn-Fighting rulebook pages 6 and 8
Headings: Adventurer Cards and Bystander Cards respectively
Numbers: 2 on both pages

"Alignment is shown only if the [Adventurer or Bystander] is Evil, since this has a special effect in the game. Unmarked [Adventurers or Bystanders] aren't Evil."

What is the special effect of being Evil?
I now see on the Adventurer Card for Syranil, Half-Elf Paladin that if she is using her Power "Smite" and the target is Evil, she does more damage and the Evil target gets no Defense roll.

Is this the only instance where Alignment comes into play?
I have a question, as I just got the game last night and have been looking forward to it:

I roll the dice to attack and say I get 4 punches and 1 mug on the gold dice and 1 luck roll on the red dice. I have no bystanders to worry about as the opponent to my left has none, and I roll above my skill doing 4 points of damage to the Adventurer. So what happens with the red die? I think the defense roll action has me a bit stymied, in respect for what's kept for passing the dice.

I think they would've done well with a small example round for the last few pages.
So what happens with the red die?

You always roll the red die for defense, no matter what it's showing.
Logan Bonner, freelance game designer Blog: http://loganbonner.blogspot.com Twitter: http://twitter.com/loganbonner
My gaming group played through several brawls last night and we had a blast, even though we we unsure if we played everything correctly. Here are the questions I can remember.

Rulebook page 18
Heading: Hit Points and Victory Points
Sub-Headings: Damage and VP, Bystander Knockout & Adventurer Knockout

1. Does all damage that you do to opponent's Adventurers and Bystanders go into your Victory Point pile?

Why I initially thought no: When you damage an opponent's Adventurer, remove that many Hit Point tokens from the character and place them in your Victory Point pile. The term Adventurer was used rather than character, which includes both Adventurer and Bystander.

Why my group adjudicated yes: When you Knock Out an opponent's Bystander, you get 2 bonus VP from the bank (in addition to the remaining Hit Points). So it appears that Hit Points from Bystanders do go into your Victory Point pile.

Wrinkle that I didn't think of last night: The rule about Bystanders specifically mentions when they are knocked out.

2. What if you only damaged a Bystander but did not knock the Bystander out, where do those Hit Points go?

3. If you knock out an Adventurer, but the knocked out Adventurer's player does not have enough Victory Points to pay the Knockout Bonus listed on the character's card, does the player scoring the knockout supplement the difference from the bank or just get what is available, possibly nothing?

Adventurer Card for Xxyzzt, Beholder Barfly
Power attack: Eye Ray Extravaganza
(3 or 5 damage. High: Make another identical attack against any other target.)

4. Does Xxyzzt's player continue making Power attacks as long as he continues to roll High damage or does he only get one extra Power attack each turn?

5. Where the card says any other target, does this mean of any player or merely any character of the initial valid target (namely the player with the most Victory Points)?

6. Does identical attack mean that each time Xxyzzt's player rolls his extra Power attack he includes the same bonus from dice showing the Power attack symbol?

Rulebook page 17
Sub-heading: Ale Action

7. If your Adventurer is at full Hit Points and you roll an Ale action can you take one?

8. If so, do you just remove Victory Points from the player with the most in an amount equal to the number of dice showing Ale and put them in the bank?

9. If so, and you are the player with the most Victory Points and your adventurer is unhurt can you take the Ale action to prevent the next player from getting a certain Ale action?

Rulebook page 14
Power attack options

10. If you are the player with the most Victory Points can you ever make a Power attack?

11. If so, is it against the opponent with the most Victory Points?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. It is a fun game, don't let the number of questions scare anyone off of playing.
I received the following e-mail answers to my questions from Wizards Customer Service:

1. You do gain Victory Points directly from Hit Points when damaging a Bystander.

2. You gain the HP in VP even if you do not knock out the Bystander.

3. If your Adventurer is knocked out and you do not have enough VP to pay the knockout bonus, you pay as much as you can, possibly zero.

4. The Eye Ray will continue to attack as long as high results are rolled.

5. The secondary Eye Ray attacks can be directed any any target, not just the one with the highest VPs.

6. These secondary attacks will use the same bonus as the first.

7,8. You can take an Ale action at full hit points, you opponent still loses VP equal to the number of mugs showing, but you do not gain any hit points.

9. If you are the player with the highest VPs when an ale action come up, you can take it, but any VP's not used to heal you will go to the bank.

10,11. Since you cannot attack yourself, you can still make a power attack against the opponent with the next highest VP total, choosing in case of ties.

Good Gaming!
Rob
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast

This is pretty much how my group played (the lone exception being we didn't let the player in the lead make Power attacks). Now that we know, we can really cut loose.
Does anyone know where the rules for bringing your PC into the card game are? I'll be darned if I can find them.
Does anyone know where the rules for bringing your PC into the card game are? I'll be darned if I can find them.

Apparently the rules for conversion 'weren't the best' so they scraped them and are currently designing new ones that will be posted ASAP.
OK, I have 3-Dragon-Ante and my kids and I love to sit at the table and play all night long...or take it on trips to fill time

Is this game a similar game, something good for a few fast fun rounds, take on trips, etc?

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

Ok I have a question about card mechanics.
For Finno, Halfling Rogue his defense ability cause the attack to miss and hit a bystander of attackers choice, if the attacker wishes.
Does this redirected attack count as damage from a defense action?
I say it does not and the new target of the attack gets to roll the defense dice, but my friend says that they dont get to roll defense because you cant roll defense against damage from a defense action.

Also, to use an action card that says use before a defense action, does that mean i need to have 3 ale or luck showing before I can use it?

And if Xxyzzt's eye ray keeps going on on each consecutive high roll, will Helmdar's cleave keep going if you keep knocking out the target?
You always roll the red die for defense, no matter what it's showing.

I don't think that's what is being asked, as this is a question my group also had.

I believe the question was actually, once the defense is rolled, what result do you keep when passing the dice to the next person? In the case mentioned, prior to the defense roll, the die had luck on it.

If the result of the defense roll was a fist, then would you change it back to luck before passing the dice along? Or does the next person automatically reroll the red die along with the other attack dice, keeping the result of the defense roll instead?

In my group, we "house ruled" that you just keep the result of the defense roll, as it's too taxing to keep track of what the die said all game, prior to the defense rolls.
I have a question about counters.

No general guesstimate is given in the rules about how many counters, on average, should be set aside for a game.

In playing with my gaming group the other night, I used little skull counters I used for Hecatomb. There were 50 of them, I believe, and 6 of us playing.
Needless to say, we ran out of them really quickly and had to turn to using dice as VP counters while using the skulls as health counters.

Any suggestions as to how many counters would be needed to play a game, on average?
For my group, the counters we use are about 50 coins from the Wizkids Pirates of the Cursed seas game. the coin side equals one HP, the number side equals VP. We play with 6 players all the time and have never run short.
When I last played, we happened to have two or three decks of (regular) playing cards lying around, and that worked well, with plenty of extras.
My group was a little unclear on the victory conditions. Do you have to have 20 victory points at the start of your turn and then damage an adventurer or can you be, say at 19 at the start of your turn, damage an adventurer to take you to twenty or beyond and win in one turn like that? The wording in the book and on the summary card isn't exactly the same.
i use poker token
And if Xxyzzt's eye ray keeps going on on each consecutive high roll, will Helmdar's cleave keep going if you keep knocking out the target?

Got an answer on this from WotC support:
"Helmdar's cleave only grants another attack, not another use of cleave so he would not be able to keep attacking until he fails to knock out an opponent."

Here's a thought that came up last night:

The Adventurer Kshak, Githyanki Fighter power attack states: 2 to 5 damage; if you roll a 16+, you can steal a random card from the hand of the opponent who controls the target.

If the opponent you're attacking only has one card, can you take that card? My thought is, if the opponent only has one card in hand, then you're no longer taking a random card since there is only one card in his hand it is impossible for you to take a random one.  The card you are taking is predetermined and no longer random.

I know I'm really splitting hairs with this one, but by definition of the word random, I think I'm right! Tongue Out
Sign In to post comments