Gleemax.com, Wizard's Announcement

867 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, I was hoping your typing slower would help me understand.

Or putting things another way: I'm still not understanding your point. Could you try to explain it one more time, please?

Apparently the software is set up so that if even one person overrides the skin then the skin shuts down for everyone...

Thats what I got out of that, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either though, I mean who in their right mind would design software like that?
And that doesn't make sense to me either.

Here's a screen shot of this forum with my skin set to the D&D Default skin

The only graphics I see on the page are the banner at the top and the icons that appear to the left of the page that indicate things like 'New Posts,' 'Hot Topic,' and so on.

Here's a screen shot of this forum with my skin set to my preference (parchment & leather)

Notice that all the graphics are the same - the banner at the top is the same, the icons to the left of the thread are the same, and so on. Changing my skin hasn't changed the graphics on the page at all.

Here's a screen shot of the Gleemax forums

So, yet again we see that there's a banner at the top; we know that shouldn't be affected. We see that there's icons to the left of the threads; we know those shouldn't be affected. Hence why I'm confused by what Mike is saying.

With the exception of the "Low Bandwidth" skin, as far as I can tell the only things that change when you change your skin is the color scheme. That's why I keep asking for Mike to clarify - there's a disconnect somewhere, and I'd really like to understand where.

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Sorry. At this stage, you'll have to take me at my word that it can't be done without development work.


Wow, Mike. Thanks so much for explaining things. I mean, you could at least say something like, "Burgandy and Sim are (more or less) correct." While it still wouldn't make any sense to me, I would at least have had my point of confusion cleared up. Instead, you tell me to trust you while giving me no reason to do so.

The promotional site and the forums are on the old software, not the new software that will support gleemax.com and our digital offerings.

Does this mean there will be different forum software for Gleemax? If so, why would a company want to support two different pieces of forum software when they very easily could've supported just one?

Can you tackle this question?

Also, can you tell me when the Gleemax forums will allow me to get rid of the icky green color?

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Just to clarify, you're asking us to trust you?

If they had built the graphics into the skin, I could see why they wouldn't be able to change it. However, I don't understand why anyone would do it that way. It defeats the purpose of the skins in the first place.

If it is designed that way, my only thought is that the powers that be WANT the site to be obvious. They don't want someone to navigate from these forums to the gleemax forums without realizing it. Whether for promotional reasons, or because they don't want people thinking that is the 'real' site - I guess doesn't matter.

However, in happier news I bought a subscription to Paizo's Game Mastery modules in addition to my Pathfinder subscription. With my subscription, I receive a free PDF of each print module. I really want to commend the model of supplying electronic content that is supplemental to the print material. Now, I can choose whether to run an adventure from my computer or from paper..... I can have (eventually) hundreds of adventures on my laptop ready on a moment's notice, without carrying them all with me. Of course, since I prefer print, I can bring the one I plan on running and only use the laptop as a last resort.....

It's funny that I remember asking for that. Good customer service and giving customers what they want sounds like a recipe for success. Let's see how that goes.
However, in happier news I bought a subscription to Paizo's Game Mastery modules in addition to my Pathfinder subscription. With my subscription, I receive a free PDF of each print module. I really want to commend the model of supplying electronic content that is supplemental to the print material. Now, I can choose whether to run an adventure from my computer or from paper..... I can have (eventually) hundreds of adventures on my laptop ready on a moment's notice, without carrying them all with me. Of course, since I prefer print, I can bring the one I plan on running and only use the laptop as a last resort.....

It's funny that I remember asking for that. Good customer service and giving customers what they want sounds like a recipe for success. Let's see how that goes.

Dear WotC,

Please read these words and attempt to understand them. We your customers are loyal and will continue to buy D&D products even when the quality has slipped significantly as it has in the past year and a half. We are waiting to see what this Digital Initiative will bring, but with your past record of not including a PDF version of books available for purchase, or better yet recieving a copy of it when you purchase a book for $35-50 US, we tend to have serious doubts as to your ability to provide us what we need and want as far as digital media is concerned.

I think that if you want to truly succeed, you will do a more intensive study into what it is that your customers would like to see. I think you have seen that there is unrest and even outright anger due to recent events and a very clear message has to be sent that you the caretakers of our game do care about the players (hint: you call them customers) and that you will work with us to make this game everything it can be, which incidentally will lead to higher sales since everyone will be actually happy with a product.

-Chad
I honestly can't believe you guys are whining about the colour of the TEMPORARY Gleemax forums. Chill out, relax, and leave Gamer_zero alone. He's stated it's not going to be changed because it is TEMPORARY. Would a detailed and technical explanation of WHY it is not possible really make any difference? You aren't paying for any of this and all it is costing is some of your time. So spend your time outside and catch some sun and come back in a month and see how things sit then.

Personally, I am looking forward to what's in store. I'll save my constructive criticism until the real site is up and running. In the meantime, my understanding that the current site is a placeholder keeps me from making a tempest in teacup about font colour.
_______________________ Why Pace Should be the Universal Unit for D&D Next http://community.wizards.com/padraigmac/blog/2012/05/29/why_pace_should_be_the_universal_unit_for_dd_next
Would a detailed and technical explanation of WHY it is not possible really make any difference?

Honestly, yes it would.

You see, the Gleemax forums are a part of these forums. I can change the appearance of these forums just fine - it doesn't matter if I go to the D&D pages, or the Magic pages or the Star Wars pages; in all those places, I get the area specific graphics while still having the color scheme I find the easiest to look at it with my poor vision.

Essentially, I feel like WotC is telling me, as a customer, "We don't want you to come play around in our new area, even though you think you have things to contribute to the potential conversations over there."

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Just to clarify, you're asking us to trust you?

Well, I was going to say: "You'll have to take me at my word (or not)" but I was afraid that would sound too snarky. =)
without the OP i would not have read a bit of the site because of the painful colors. so i barely know anythign about it still sicne it is all speculation so i will jsut ask rather than read through 15+ pages to see if this question exists.

if Gleemax is to be the home of online resources does that mean that "progrmas" found therein will all be run via asp or php internally to WotC site, or will they be downloaded software that can be used to help with D&D, such as generators for PC, NPC, encoutnres etc. and i mean truely compiled executables, rather than downloadable HTML and javascripts like the DDM warband generator.

or will there be both. for those who wish to use features only and people who wish to have copies of the software tools for use offline when there is less acess to the internet?
without the OP i would not have read a bit of the site because of the painful colors. so i barely know anythign about it still sicne it is all speculation so i will jsut ask rather than read through 15+ pages to see if this question exists.

if Gleemax is to be the home of online resources does that mean that "progrmas" found therein will all be run via asp or php internally to WotC site, or will they be downloaded software that can be used to help with D&D, such as generators for PC, NPC, encoutnres etc. and i mean truely compiled executables, rather than downloadable HTML and javascripts like the DDM warband generator.

or will there be both. for those who wish to use features only and people who wish to have copies of the software tools for use offline when there is less acess to the internet?

All, some or none of that will be answered after Gen-Con. We don't know what is going to be said, only that something will be said after that convention.

I hope that helps.
Mike, I get the vibe from your posts that the reasons the forum guys won't let anyone use a different skin on the Gleemax forums are as follows:

1) The forums software wouldn't display the Gleemax skin the way the marketing guys wanted it without some interface hacks.
2) The forum guys were able to perform these hacks without taking too much time out of their schedule, but not without leaving the "change forum skin" functionality broken.
3) Somebody, either the forum guys or their boss(es), has decided that to keep the Gleemax skin as-is while fixing the skin-changing functionality would be too expensive, and the marketing guys won't let them ditch or modify the Gleemax skin.

If this is the case, then it's unfortunate, but given that it's a temporary thing, I for one can live with it.
Mike, I get the vibe from your posts that the reasons the forum guys won't let anyone use a different skin on the Gleemax forums are as follows:

1) The forums software wouldn't display the Gleemax skin the way the marketing guys wanted it without some interface hacks.
2) The forum guys were able to perform these hacks without taking too much time out of their schedule, but not without leaving the "change forum skin" functionality broken.
3) Somebody, either the forum guys or their boss(es), has decided that to keep the Gleemax skin as-is while fixing the skin-changing functionality would be too expensive, and the marketing guys won't let them ditch or modify the Gleemax skin.

If this is the case, then it's unfortunate, but given that it's a temporary thing, I for one can live with it.

Your account is pretty much spot on regarding the technical aspects. As easy (and fun) as it is to blame things on the marketing guys, this isn't a case where marketing wants one thing and everyone else wants another. (When that happens we beat our marketing folks into submission)
See, Mike, that's the sort of clarification I was asking for yesterday. I didn't expect you to provide specific details. I was asking you to re-explain the problem, because I wasn't understanding it.

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Your account is pretty much spot on regarding the technical aspects. As easy (and fun) as it is to blame things on the marketing guys, this isn't a case where marketing wants one thing and everyone else wants another. (When that happens we beat our marketing folks into submission)

Reminds me of that Dilbert cartoon where the girl comes in and beats the snot out of the marketing guys face, then says to him...

"this way there's more congruence between the things you say and the way you look."

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

See, Mike, that's the sort of clarification I was asking for yesterday. I didn't expect you to provide specific details. I was asking you to re-explain the problem, because I wasn't understanding it.

Maybe I should steal Mike's job. ;)
Maybe I should steal Mike's job. ;)

Sorry, too late. I have, in fact, already assumed his titles and job duties. I'm Artifact, your new community liaison. Did I spell all that correctly? :P.

Sorry people, I don't have a lot of time to post right now, I've got to leave for my real life job in about five minutes. My dog's fine though, so see you soon ;).
/\ Art
My dog's fine though

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

However, in happier news I bought a subscription to Paizo's Game Mastery modules in addition to my Pathfinder subscription. With my subscription, I receive a free PDF of each print module. I really want to commend the model of supplying electronic content that is supplemental to the print material. Now, I can choose whether to run an adventure from my computer or from paper..... I can have (eventually) hundreds of adventures on my laptop ready on a moment's notice, without carrying them all with me. Of course, since I prefer print, I can bring the one I plan on running and only use the laptop as a last resort.....

It's funny that I remember asking for that. Good customer service and giving customers what they want sounds like a recipe for success. Let's see how that goes.

Thanks DDM, I was debating about subscribing to the Game Mastery as well as Pathfinder. I think you just convinced me to do so.
ooh ooh. I finally have a question....


Is the Ultimate Gamer quiz available for fun yet? Will it be? I didn't feel like being on the board (not that I would make it) or filling out the form before taking the quiz, so I haven't taken it.
ooh ooh. I finally have a question....


Is the Ultimate Gamer quiz available for fun yet? Will it be? I didn't feel like being on the board (not that I would make it) or filling out the form before taking the quiz, so I haven't taken it.

It's not available yet, but it eventually will be.

The problem is figuring out how to use the rickety old "coming soon" billboard in front of the contruction site to support the quiz. It's probably going to be something that has to wait til phase 1 of the Gleemax pre-release, circa GenCon.
However, in happier news I bought a subscription to Paizo's Game Mastery modules in addition to my Pathfinder subscription. With my subscription, I receive a free PDF of each print module. I really want to commend the model of supplying electronic content that is supplemental to the print material.

You mentioned it, but to clarify, you only get the PDF if you subscribe (IE, set up monthly billing, etc.). If you buy the Game Mastery modules at the store, you'd have to pay $8.99 for the PDF. I guess its okay to throw out the standard mantra of supporting your local gaming store this once though, right?

As much as I hope Paizo is really successful with their future endeavors, I really can't see myself ever buying Game Mastery. Thirteen dollars for a 32 page adventure that I'll use once? For half that price, I can buy a 2-300 page fiction book that will give me roughly the same number of hours of entertainment.
As much as I hope Paizo is really successful with their future endeavors, I really can't see myself ever buying Game Mastery. Thirteen dollars for a 32 page adventure that I'll use once? For half that price, I can buy a 2-300 page fiction book that will give me roughly the same number of hours of entertainment.

Would you buy the "Fantastic Locations" series? Being $15 USD and 16 pages, makes GameMastery look like a deal. Don't forget, that $15 adventure is actually a $21 CAD adventure for Canadians. That GameMastery module is looking far, far more sweet now. (Currently, according to xe.com 13.00 USD = 13.5666 CAD). $21 for 16 pages, or $13.56 for 32 pages. Add on Paizo's superior quality and it's, as WotC put it, "a no-brainer".
Does WotC even make shorter adventures any more? I vaguely remember them saying something to the effect of "the internet is where people go to get this kind of information".
this was posted in another thread..but i thought it should be mentioned here:

You're not alone in this feeling either. I think the promotional Gleemax site is indication enough that WotC is targetting a much younger audience than you or I.

In fact, I feel entirely out of place at Gleemax. They don't seem to be acknowledging "older" gamers at all, and that makes me feel outright unwelcome, even unwanted.

I don't understand why though, because certainly the youger demographic has a large amount of disposable income, so do those in my age group however; I mean, we definately spend more in the long run.

I think WotC is making a big mistake by effectively excluding a loyal fanbase, and at this point, it seems apparent they are. Losing the good will of such customers isn't good business.

When WotC unveils the DI later this year, and as they (obviously) begin intial preparations for a new edition, they are going to have to essentially "rebuild" their customer base. That doesn't seem like a very good position to be in right now. As Frugal mentioned however, I'm obviously not part of the target demographic, so maybe I don't count.


ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
As much as I hope Paizo is really successful with their future endeavors, I really can't see myself ever buying Game Mastery. Thirteen dollars for a 32 page adventure that I'll use once?

I bought the 32-page adventure Ravenloft some time back. I've used it at least 4 times now. You can always run the adventure for a new group.
And WotC is putting out an adventure of their own next year, apparently 96 pages and $30. Same size and $10 more than Pathfinder.

@ $15 dollars more if you subscribe to Pathfinder.
SO,i started a thread u in the gleemax area and I was called a troll and and that thread itself was bait.....:headexplo but for now,i still feel welcomed there...

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Link?
Link?

Here!
Has anyone else noticed how poor the signal to noise is on gleemax. If I go to the General Game Discussion forum, most of it is not-DND related, and little of what is has the quality of these forums. I hope these forums are added to gleemax rather than subsumed into it.
Has anyone else noticed how poor the signal to noise is on gleemax. If I go to the General Game Discussion forum, most of it is not-DND related, and little of what is has the quality of these forums. I hope these forums are added to gleemax rather than subsumed into it.

The promotional site is not Gleemax. It's a hastily thrown together (and temporary) placeholder and advertisement for Gleemax, which we have yet to actually see. I wouldn't be too quick to judge the Gleemax site capabilities; at least not until we actually see it. WotC says they purchased some really expensive new software for Gleemax, unlike the clunky outdated stuff we've gotten used to around these boards; if so, we might be happy if these boards get folded into a subforum on Gleemax.
WotC says they purchased some really expensive new software for Gleemax, unlike the clunky outdated stuff we've gotten used to around these boards;

Have a quote for that, by any chance?

if so, we might be happy if these boards get folded into a subforum on Gleemax.

I fully expect these boards to be folded into Gleemax. And, in fact, I suspect the reason for the announcement at the top of the forums is just that - these boards changing address to be under Gleemax.

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

The promotional site is not Gleemax. It's a hastily thrown together (and temporary) placeholder and advertisement for Gleemax, which we have yet to actually see. I wouldn't be too quick to judge the Gleemax site capabilities;

Well if it is ad, then I am completely justified in drawing inferences from it. That's a point of advertisement.

at least not until we actually see it. WotC says they purchased some really expensive new software for Gleemax, unlike the clunky outdated stuff we've gotten used to around these boards; if so, we might be happy if these boards get folded into a subforum on Gleemax.

Source please.
From Randy's blog on the Gleemax promotional site:

This has been a really aggressive goal and I’m quite proud that it looks like the team is actually going to pull this off. I’m sure there will be lots of forum posts a month from now saying “that’s it?” and from a social networking point of view that critique will be fair. However, there’s a ton of backend infrastructure that we had to work out in order to support not just the ability to give everyone their own page, but also to support all of our game and editorial plans as well.

For example, we are rolling out a Single Sign-On solution (SSO) that will soon enable you to have one login and password across all Wizards systems. Initially, this should mean a single login for both Forums and the new Gleemax.com site. We are migrating over forums accounts first – if you have a forum account now, you will have a Gleemax account come Gen Con. Over the months after Gen Con, we will be migrating over DCI and RPGA accounts, Customer Service help system accounts, and finally Magic Online accounts as well. And not to worry, if you have accounts already on these existing systems, you will be able to “claim” them and associate them all with your single Gleemax account We know many folks like to have multiple accounts that they, for example, post under on message boards (or on MTGO we know some folks like to have an account they trade with and another that they play with). That’s still fine in post-SSO world, but those will become different personas that you control, all of which are part of one master account. The clever among you may have already suspected something like this was coming when WotC_Mel posted the following: http://boards1.wizards.com/announcement.php?f=678.

Another big technology issue that we needed to work out is that we’re implementing a new content management system. This will help us both with Gleemax and over on the existing Wizards.com website as well. The existing Wizards webpage runs on a home-grown CMS that is showing its age (and showing the fact that the guys who built it don’t work here any more). In fact, this Gleemax.com promotional site is just being hand-coded rather than put into that CMS. Anyway, as of GenCon we’ll be switching over Gleemax.com to the new fancy schmancy store-bought system and that will give us a lot more ability to make things awesome.

So the obvious question is, what can you actually expect at GenCon? Well one thing is that you’ll be able to sign-up for an account, which may sound trivial, but that sign-up goes through our new SSO solution and we’ve had to merge literally millions of legacy accounts across like 7 different password-protected systems to set this up. You’ll also be able to write a blog, maintain a friends list, go to your friends pages, and comment on their blogs. Like I said before, not a ton of functionality, but enough that hopefully you will all start using the site. We’re in alpha test mode and we mostly just want people banging on the system so we can see what breaks.

Sounds promising to me.
Indeed. Three things from me on Randy's post (and thanks for bringing it here for us to see, Cavienn):

1) My "day" job is in the tech field. Specifically, I'm a computer programmer/business analyst. I can tell you from personal experience that implementing Single Sign On is a HUGE pain in the ass. Kudos to Melanie and her team for working it.

Another big technology issue that we needed to work out is that we’re implementing a new content management system. This will help us both with Gleemax and over on the existing Wizards.com website as well. The existing Wizards webpage runs on a home-grown CMS that is showing its age (and showing the fact that the guys who built it don’t work here any more). In fact, this Gleemax.com promotional site is just being hand-coded rather than put into that CMS. Anyway, as of GenCon we’ll be switching over Gleemax.com to the new fancy schmancy store-bought system and that will give us a lot more ability to make things awesome.

2) The fact that the site is hand-coded rather than worked through existing software helps me understand (a little) why we've been told the promotional site can't change colors and such.

3) I want to preface this question by saying it's not intended to be snarky, sarcastic, cruel, etc. It's an honest question that hopefully Mike can answer (or can get the answer). When the "real" site unveils at GenCon, will that include the ability for the users to alter the appearance? And if so, will that extend to the Gleemax forums?

Thanks again, Cavienn!

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

I realised some people probably hadn't seen the blogs, as they're on the Gleemax promotional site. The text is white-on-dark grey for the blogs, not the icky green, if that makes a difference. Randy's blogs have been giving out some good information about the upcoming Gleemax site, such as what I quoted.

It does indeed sound like there's some good stuff in the works. Obviously not all of it will be useful for everyone, but I'm thinking that there will probably be at least something for most people--that's what it's sounding like, anyway.

I'm looking forward to seeing what we actually get. If it's crap, I just won't use it. But if it's good, it could be really great!
Another of Randy's Blogs:

Randy's Blog

Mon, July 30
Randy's Blog

By Randy Buehler

Once again this week I've got two things I want to talk about. First up is a discussion of what our Terms of Use and Terms of Service for Gleemax are going to allow with respect to a couple of topics. The biggest part of that discussion applies to commercial uses of the site, but we're also modifying our user-generated content policy as well. I'll explain how we expect things to work in the long-run and also how things will work when we start testing the site during and after GenCon (yes, Gleemax policies will change over time). The second thing I want to do this week is to let you guys see some of the images from Uncivilized: The Goblin Game that we showed off last week at ComicCon in San Diego.

Gleemax Commercial Use Policy

This is one topic that I have seen a number of questions about on the forums, mostly taking the form of "What are you really going to let people do?" Well, here's your answer. I'm sure this, like most things, will evolve over time as we react to the ways in which you guys decide to use the site; but we're pretty happy with this as a starting point. Always be sure to review the Terms of Use and Terms of Service for specifics because the terms will change over time.

First of all, let's talk about what counts as a commercial use. We're giving everyone who wants one their own personal page on Gleemax to do almost anything they want with. There are some rules, of course, as set forth in the Terms of Use and Terms of Service. One rule is that you must adhere to our Code of Conduct - no porn site links, no F-bombs, etc. The Code of Conduct might be worth a blog all on its own ... (you are not only allowed, but encouraged to talk about non-WotC games, for example) and our overall goal is to allow PG-13 level content while keeping the language PG.

Another rule is that you are not allowed to use your personal page as a way to directly or indirectly make money except in the specific circumstances outlined below. That means your page can't be an ad trying to sell time-shares in a condo and you can't use your account to spam the message board with calls to go check out some awesome stock sale. Now you might happen to work as a stock broker and blogging about what happened at work is totally fair game. Similarly, you might be a giant fan of time-shares, or Yu-Gi-Oh, or the Boston Red Sox and talking about your opinion of these things is also totally fair game. The thing that will draw the ire of our customer service staff is when you cross over into commercial use and start using your page explicitly as a way to make money.

The basic policy boils down to this: As of this date, there are three categories of commercial use of the site that are allowed and encouraged, though not all of them will be available at launch in August. Other commercial uses will be shut down by our game support staff. The three categories that are allowed are:

1. Brick-and-Mortar Retail Stores
2. Digital Object Dealers
3. Official Game Information Pages

Brick-and-Mortar Retail Stores

I've mentioned before that one of our goals with the site is to help out the tabletop gaming industry by making it easier for players to find the hobby stores that have always been the lifeblood of our industry. We intend to try to recruit the next generation of gamers into our culture and then drive them out to these stores. Thus we see Store Pages as a crucial link in the chain. You have to actually have a real-world store to be eligible for this special status within the site, but once you jump through that verification step you get a number of special features and also some extra rules.

The special features include the ability to upload a calendar of events and then have those events automatically populated onto the calendars of players in your area who are interested in those games. Another useful feature will be prominent placement in search results.

The rules will include the following, but may change over time: Stores can list all of the products that they have for sale (ours, our competitors, whatever); however, no prices can be advertised. We are not interested in supporting internet sales of hobby game products or facilitating the commoditization of hobby game products as retailers try to undercut each other on price. Rather, we're hoping folks will want to actually travel to these stores and take advantage of the full-service, personal attention that is available along with (typically) space to game in and folks to game with. A link to a store's web page is fair game, but discussion of prices is not, with the one exception that the price of organized play events may be advertised.

As of Gen Con we will not have any of the Retailer-specific special features ready yet, nor will we have the verification step automated. However, we're happy if retailers want to go ahead and start using the site. At their heart, the store pages are just specialized versions of the personal pages that all of our users get so any stores who want to get in early are encouraged to do so. We will be enforcing the rules I described above (they'll be written into our Terms of Use and Terms of Service in more detail, of course) and as long as a store is in good standing we will award the special Retail Store status to appropriate personal pages once we're ready to launch that functionality.

Digital Object Dealers

This status is intended to apply to businesses that make their money by trafficking in digital objects from one or more of the games that are available through Gleemax. Right now there is only Magic Online, but eventually we plan to have more and we also plan to have a trading house where objects from various games can be traded for each other. No one wants their chat constantly spammed by advertisements to trade Tix for product, but at the same time we believe folks do want that service available somewhere (and we probably couldn't prevent it from rising up even if we wanted to).

Unlike with retail stores, the Digital Dealer status is one that we're willing to award to pretty much anyone who wants one provided they comply with the rules. However, we intend to charge an annual fee for this status in an effort to keep it limited to folks who are serious about providing a service to our customers. Meanwhile, we're not going to give this status to anyone right out of the gates at Gen Con. I'm calling this out here as a commercial use of the site that will eventually be allowed, but not until we have more functionality in place and not until we have more games that will use it than just Magic Online.

Official Game Information Pages

We want Gleemax to become the one-stop shop for information about tabletop gaming and online strategy gaming. We also want to facilitate a conversation about all forms of gaming under the belief that a rising tide will float all boats. Our guess is that the user-generated content about games (whether it's wikis, personal pages, etc.) is going to vastly outnumber the official content. However, we also know that folks like to feel confident that they know the official story and we also know that there's some content that can only be provided by the folks who actually make the game. Thus we are creating official game information pages.

The way these will work is that they are essentially the personal page of the game. So www.gleemax.com/TicketToRide would be the official information page for Ticket to Ride and (within some basic limits) Days of Wonder can put whatever information onto it that they like, including a link to their own site. This page would also be linked prominently on the Ticket to Ride page within the user-generated Great Game Wiki. I think we're going to need to charge a non-refundable, up-front handling fee in order to make sure that only the folks who should have access to the official game information pages actually get it (minimizing our own need to sort out conflicting claims, etc); but after that, the pages would be given to those companies for free.

As of GenCon there won't be any special functionality for official game information pages, but we're happy if folks start creating them anyway using the basic personal page tools that will exist.

User-Generated Content Policy

One other aspect of our Terms of Use and Terms of Service that we worked out recently is our stand with respect to user-generated content. Right now our policy is that we own anything that you post to our websites. However, we've decided to modify that policy. Once Gleemax goes live and our new Terms of Use and Terms of Service kick in, you will retain ownership of any content you post (well, any content that you owned in the first place, anyway. And, of course, you are prohibited from violating or infringing the rights of others.). The one thing you do grant to us by posting your content onto our site is the right to use it as we please. So, if you post (for example) an awesome Magic card or a D&D feat that we think is cool, we're allowed to put it into one of our books, card sets, etc.

Note that you are allowed (solely per the terms of the Terms of Use and Terms of Service) to use our IP when generating content that you put on our site, however you are not allowed to then publish that content anywhere else. So, for example, you could create an awesome campaign setting that takes place in some never before seen corner of Forgotten Realms and you could populate it with all the iconic D&D monsters you like. (We very much hope this is the kind of thing that this community and our toolset will inspire folks to do.) However, because the content includes D&D specific stuff that is not covered by the OGL (Open Gaming License), you could not, for example, turn around and publish it for sale in book form. Then again, if you invent and then post to Gleemax an original campaign setting (or rules system or whatever) that does not use any WotC intellectual property, you would still retain ownership and can publish that yourself if you like.

Be sure to review the Terms of Use and Terms of Service upon launch next month for additional specifics about these and other topics. These user agreements will govern your use of Gleemax.

Uncivilized: The Goblin Game

We sent Brandon Bozzi to San Diego last weekend along with a PowerPoint presentation full of never-before-seen-in-public images from U:GG. Look below to see some of the highlights. U:GG is on track to go to external closed play-testing in September and I'm really happy with the way the interface is coming together. Let us know what you think in the forums and stay tuned for more information about how you could potentially get invited to one of the early playtests.

Hopefully this answers at least some of your questions about various ways in which Gleemax can be used. I'll be hanging out in the forums periodically and answering more questions so feel free to post them if you've got them.

Randy Buehler
Vice President, Digital Gaming

(...Goblin Game pictures...)
http://gleemax.com/images/Goblinz1.jpg
http://gleemax.com/images/Goblinz2.jpg
http://gleemax.com/images/Goblinz3.jpg
http://gleemax.com/images/Goblinz4.jpg
http://gleemax.com/images/Goblinz5.jpg
http://gleemax.com/images/Goblinz6.jpg
http://gleemax.com/images/Goblinz7.jpg
Interesting, especially this:

Right now our policy is that we own anything that you post to our websites.

I've seen numerous times where WotC staff - especially moderators - have denied this is true. It's nice to see it finally explicitly stated, even if the policy will be changing shortly.

Thanks for the quote, taski.

A question for Mike (or for Mike to take to Randy or whomever): Will this new Terms of Use apply only to Gleemax, or to anywhere on these forums? (of course, if these forums are moving under Gleemax (as I suspect they will) then it's really a moot question)

John Ling

Lead Pathfinder Developer for Frog God Games

Let's put that into context- You can't just stop after one line of text.

User-Generated Content Policy

One other aspect of our Terms of Use and Terms of Service that we worked out recently is our stand with respect to user-generated content. Right now our policy is that we own anything that you post to our websites. However, we've decided to modify that policy. Once Gleemax goes live and our new Terms of Use and Terms of Service kick in, you will retain ownership of any content you post (well, any content that you owned in the first place, anyway. And, of course, you are prohibited from violating or infringing the rights of others.). The one thing you do grant to us by posting your content onto our site is the right to use it as we please. So, if you post (for example) an awesome Magic card or a D&D feat that we think is cool, we're allowed to put it into one of our books, card sets, etc.

Note that you are allowed (solely per the terms of the Terms of Use and Terms of Service) to use our IP when generating content that you put on our site, however you are not allowed to then publish that content anywhere else. So, for example, you could create an awesome campaign setting that takes place in some never before seen corner of Forgotten Realms and you could populate it with all the iconic D&D monsters you like. (We very much hope this is the kind of thing that this community and our toolset will inspire folks to do.) However, because the content includes D&D specific stuff that is not covered by the OGL (Open Gaming License), you could not, for example, turn around and publish it for sale in book form. Then again, if you invent and then post to Gleemax an original campaign setting (or rules system or whatever) that does not use any WotC intellectual property, you would still retain ownership and can publish that yourself if you like.

Be sure to review the Terms of Use and Terms of Service upon launch next month for additional specifics about these and other topics. These user agreements will govern your use of Gleemax.

Sign In to post comments