LOTCS Field Report - Week 12 - Final Week

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Game HQ - OKC

Most of the other tables finished last week and we had character creation night this week for SotSC. Looks like we will have 5 very full tables and could possibly have 6, but I just don't have that many DMs. As a result, we will cap it at 5 tables and hope we don't have to turn people away. Some tables may have 7 players or someone will have to sit. D&D Next is wildly popular around here.

As for the LotCS adventure, my table was still wrapping things up, so after we all got our characters for next season rolled up, we finished the battle.

Last week they ended things by beginning to break through her improved Seeming spell and were beginning to figure out which one of them actually was the Ice Witch. When that happened, she animated here Black Ice Golems and unleashed them on the heroes. She maintained Spike growth in the middle of the room, coupled with Sleet Storm and occasionally blasting them with Ice Storm. Very nasty stuff. She was able to know a couple of them unconscious, and then piled on by moving in on their bodies and causing cold damage and speeding up the Death Save process by tacking on a failure from her cold aura. Three players went down, but she was not able to actually finish them off before they were revived by their friends.

When they finally were able to whittle her down to zero, the tower began to shake, culminating in the top of the tower being exploded by Auril's wrath itself, exposing the characters and the entire upper floor to the elements and swirling winds. Hedrun's limp body was lifted into the air where it channeled Auril's voice to the players telling them that they had not felt the last of her chill and that she now knew each of them. After that, Hedrun's body was scattered to the winds with thunderous boom, causing each of them to be blown back. Characters within 10' of the tower's edge had to make a check or be blown over the edge, falling 80'. The Druid was not so lucky, and the resulting fall damage was more than he could sustain. Not to worry though, it didn't end up being fatal.

While the heroes were able to thwart to dangers to the Dwarven Valley and the Elk Tribe, they were not able to address the threat of the Black throughout Ten Towns or the influence of the Vaelish Gant and the Scarlet Brotherhood in the Icewind Dale. There is still much work to be done, but it will have to wait. Important business must now be addressed on the Tradeway.

Daggerford, here we come!

Great read as always Spykes and many thanks for the Trails challenge, it certainly had my players going for a while.

our season finale write up is here.

As you'll read in my notes at the end, mixed feelings at the end of this season, but high hopes heading into Daggerford. Thankfully we'll be back to 2 tables of reasonable size (4-6 players) as single tables of 7-9 can become just a slog.

Looking forward to reading everyones continuing adventures and sharing ideas on here throughout :-)

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Sadly, I don't have time to do a full right up  since work is slamming me and busy prepping for tomorrow so here is a VERY BRIEF summary:

• Party came to an agreement with Hedrun (mainly because they saw her as the lesser of two evils between her and the Arcane Brotherhood), she keeps the tower out of the AB's hands and stops organizing raids, party understands she cannot control what has free will so raids will still happen from time to time
  • Rico and Drea are now followers of Auril, both were granted powers for this decision (will try to remember to post)
  • Party realized that their boat should be about ready, opted to head back to Luskan instead of sticking around (it wont be, part is missing that they must get from Dagger which will be the lead to next season), Rico delaying leaving the dale until new shrine to Auril is built
  • Informed the barbarians living in the towns to remain there until the winter breaks and then it should be safe to return to the tundra
  • Said good-bye to the dwarves, Rob snagged a kiss from Helda
  • Set out from dwarf valley with a small cart load of supplies
  • Ambushed on the way out by several hill giants; Mike was almost 1 shotted right out of the gate and combat was danagerous for those who took damage but ended quickly with a table of 9

Thoughts: no matter what the combat was going to be somewhat of a cake walk with the amount of players that were there so am glad that they left Hedrun in power. Would have hated to see her die in a round or 2 of combat. Party wasn't too happy to have a "bad guy win in the end" but really, they had minimal invested interest in the Dale and were just there to make some coin while they waited for their boat to be done.

Vobeskhan wrote:

Great read as always Spykes and many thanks for the Trails challenge, it certainly had my players going for a while.

Awesome! Glad you and your players liked it. Hopefully we can get more DMs to this forum for next season. It's a great resource. Once the new thread goes up, I may post some links to it on the main D&D Next forums site. I think there are many more DMs running Encounters to it would be great to bring in more ideas.

Spykes wrote:

Awesome! Glad you and your players liked it. Hopefully we can get more DMs to this forum for next season. It's a great resource. Once the new thread goes up, I may post some links to it on the main D&D Next forums site. I think there are many more DMs running Encounters to it would be great to bring in more ideas.

Yeah Ive seen a few "Encounters" related posts pop up on D&D Next General forums.\

If you haven't seen it already this Facebook group for Encounters popped up recently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/557744797655293/

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Sign In to post comments