D&D Encounters: Dead in Thay (Launch Weekend) – Preview

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

The Dead in Thay Launch Weekend kits are out. We've got a preview including pictures of that fantastic map over at Dugneon's Master.

D&D Encounters: Dead in Thay (Launch Weekend) – Preview

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

My store did not get those map hand outs- would you know why? Has other stores not gotten them?

Chris Tulach confirmed on Twitter that no maps were provided in any kits (despite the fact that it says they're supposed to be in there). They will be available for download from Wizards next week.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

I will note that my kits said "Dead in Thay E" on them, which I took to mean they were the Encounters kits and not the Launch Weekend kits, and expected the maps to come in the LW kits. This news is a little disheartening; at this point, people can get almost the same experience at home.

EDIT - Also, two of the NPC cards would have been really useful during Scourge of the Sword Coast -- Kelson Dawntreader and Shalendra Floshin. They couldn't do 8 cards last season and just do 4 this season?

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Grifford's Protection cleric domain, gojirra's (Un)Death cleric domain.

General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

Question:

In the SotSC adventure on page 21, it says that the PCs advance to level 5 at the conclusion of the adventure.

However, in the Dead in Thay information flyer in the kit, it says players may bring characters from last season leved up to 6th level.

I don't have the adventure yet, as we are waiting for the FLGS code, so can anyone shed light on this?

Spykes wrote:

Question:

In the SotSC adventure on page 21, it says that the PCs advance to level 5 at the conclusion of the adventure.

However, in the Dead in Thay information flyer in the kit, it says players may bring characters from last season leved up to 6th level.

I don't have the adventure yet, as we are waiting for the FLGS code, so can anyone shed light on this?

Jump them to Level 6

sliceoffruit wrote:

Spykes wrote:

Question:

Jump them to Level 6

Just seems strange that they would bump them 2 levels if it's a continuing adventure, once in the old adventure and then again in the new adventure. Why not just say to level up 2 levels in one place? I think it may be a misprint.

Alternatively, have them pay the Launch event as level 5, then level up to 6th for session 1.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Does anyone else have a problem like I do with having 9 PCs and I'm the only willing DM for the store?  I have no clue how I'm going to juggle the Gameday on the 10th.

Grotonomus wrote:

Does anyone else have a problem like I do with having 9 PCs and I'm the only willing DM for the store?  I have no clue how I'm going to juggle the Gameday on the 10th.

I do have experience in this matter. This is how you get new DMs.

Randomly determine (d20?) which 6 players will get a seat at the Game Day table. Record who was present and credit everyone for attending. Players not getting a seat at the table are welcome to watch, but unfortunately, WotC will not sanction a table with more than 6 players. This relieves you from being the bad guy. No one blames you, it's just the way it is. At that point inform them that if one of them wants to DM, the store could sanction another table.

After that, you have to keep attendance week to week. This kinda sucks, but is crucial. If people show up, they get credit, regardless if they play or not. If they don't show, then someone else gets their seat that game. Each game, the highest number of attendance credits gets a seat with ties going to players that have played before or random determination after that. If players are late, they can still get credit for attending, but miss out on the seat determination for that week. In other words, you can't show up late and expect a seat, regardless of how many credits you have.

This system worked like a charm for me and our group grew one full table each season to it's current size of 5 full tables and 10+ capable DM's. Truthfully though, I only had to use this system for two seasons. After that, there was never a problem finding DMs. My main issue now is that the FLGS wants me to cap the number of tables because of space issues, so I may have to start using it again.

Spykes wrote:

Grotonomus wrote:

I do have experience in this matter. This is how you get new DMs.

Randomly determine (d20?) which 6 players will get a seat at the Game Day table. Record who was present and credit everyone for attending. Players not getting a seat at the table are welcome to watch, but unfortunately, WotC will not sanction a table with more than 6 players. This relieves you from being the bad guy. No one blames you, it's just the way it is. At that point inform them that if one of them wants to DM, the store could sanction another table.

After that, you have to keep attendance week to week. This kinda sucks, but is crucial. If people show up, they get credit, regardless if they play or not. If they don't show, then someone else gets their seat that game. Each game, the highest number of attendance credits gets a seat with ties going to players that have played before or random determination after that. If players are late, they can still get credit for attending, but miss out on the seat determination for that week. In other words, you can't show up late and expect a seat, regardless of how many credits you have.

This system worked like a charm for me and our group grew one full table each season to it's current size of 5 full tables and 10+ capable DM's. Truthfully though, I only had to use this system for two seasons. After that, there was never a problem finding DMs. My main issue now is that the FLGS wants me to cap the number of tables because of space issues, so I may have to start using it again.

Could you point me to where the WotC rules for Max six players is?  I've been DM'ing for my store for over a year and always have way more than 6 players. It makes every module I get a non-challenge when faced w/ 8-10 PC's. There is little to no failure rate on anything and I have to skip sections or play late because of the time sink involved with so many players.

The max cap of 6 players is set because, if you report the events correctly, after each session each player ( and their DCI number ) is recorded at the end of an event using the Wizards Event Reporter Tool by the Event Coordinator/Store Owner. In the WER you create a table for each DM, and the software will only allow you to have 6 players max at each table.

Hence why if you follow the rules on Sanctioning events and logging exactly who shows up to events (which your 100% supposed to do) then you are only allowed to have 6 players at a table.

Perhaps though, as is the case for many stores, they just record the six people and do not record any extra people. If you had seven players at an event you would need to split the group into 4 and 3 players and two DMs, as an example.

7 people showing up is always the nightmare, because with fewer you have one table and with even one more you have two, but 7 exactly, by WotC rules, means someone doesn't play.

Now, if you're like me, you make sure that at least one of the store employees is available to sit in and fill in a table, but that's not going to be feasible everywhere. This is why I've been trying to get my regulars to start using the web to say they're showing up, but a lot of people don't RSVP because it "seems like too much work." It's aggravating.

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Grifford's Protection cleric domain, gojirra's (Un)Death cleric domain.

I've been skimming the Dead in Thay module, and discovered that several of the monsters have spells listed in their stat blocks for which we have no information in either the last playtest packet (101413), or in the interim rules supplement included with the module. I mean, I can convert them easily enough from 3/3.5 versions, but I'd like to know what they're supposed to actually do.

EDIT - I've opened a support ticket with Wizards.

Haven't received our code from the store as yet :-( hopefully they'll have sorted it for when we go down tomorrow evening for the season finale, but still leaving it late for prepping for Launch session on Sunday.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Our store hasn't received the download code for the DMs yet either. Given that the Saturday game day will be the second game I'm running for Wizards as an unpaid volunteer this week....at a minimum they need to be respectful enough to get the DM copies so I can prep on my schedule......very poor behavior towards your hard working DMs Mr. Mearls and company .  Also silly since it was released to the public on April 29....would it really have been that difficult to get codes to the stores that day too?

Also I get it if budgets are tight and they couldn't put 20 player handout maps in each kit, but why not two or four so there could be one for each table that the players could use during the session. Putting one in the PDF ....big deal, so while DMong for free I'm supposed to print out the color "marketing" material at my cost? Wizards/Hasbro have slightly deeper pockets

Make sure if you are the cordinator that you have not recieved it link in your personnal email account, as I did.

Darkraven3 wrote:

My sure if you are the cordinator that you have not recieved it link in your personnal email account, as I did.

I am the Lead DM at the store and used the code last time, but only email I got from WotC was one telling

Me it was for sale....no code for free download. Last time they were several days late after public release sending 

The code to the stores....my store called their rep on Friday and was told "soon" on the download codes...so far

No joy.....

Been advised to get either our store manager or event organiser to contact the WPN via http://www.wizards.com/wpn/Support.aspx - double checked with store at lunchtime today but still no joy so as I am our event organiser I've emailed the above - fingers are crossed.

I received my code on Friday, 5/2.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

My store owner said he found his code email in the spam folder. This is very strange because he gets alot of WPN emails and they never go to spam. May want to check that out if you haven't.

As for the Kit materials, the new standards are deplorably poor.

The lack of a combat map for the Game Day event is glaring. The Bloodgate Nexus map is amazing, but no character will get to see it and DM's will end up drawing a poor rendition of it. This is an encounter that cries out for a tactical map, and WotC leaves it out of the kit. I'm a little dissapointed in the support level for their flagship organized play format. 

• DMs are not getting the adventure with enough time to prepare for the event.
  • The cost burden of game play materials (player maps, tactical maps, hard copy of adventure), is being passed on to the DMs, not to metion the time it takes to get them printed.
  • The stores are getting no product to sell so many of the stores don't see the benefit in supporting the Encounters events and the DMs trying to run them. 

I don't feel like any effort is being made to foster the DM community, probably the most impactful representatives of the game. Hope this situation gets better.

First off, hi everyone! Feel bad that I have been away from the forums but with work starting to stream roll and wrapping up the home buying process I really didn't have time to post my weekly write ups (not that you guys missed them) nor read what has happened in everyone elses games.

I lucked out and have had mine since the weekend (and the "materials packet" for almost 2 weeks). However, I am a bit frustrated that once again I either have to print the 107 page PDF at home or work since it is a protected PDF. I understand the reasoning behind protecting it but not having the ability to quickly print out a nice copy at Staples/Office Max with a binding is irksome. Has anyone found a good way to get these PDFs printed? I thought about reaching out to WotC to see if they would write an email stating that I am OK to print a single copy but then I think about the turnaround it would take to get that and it isn't worth it.

As for the player map, I am prettying off a greyscale version for my players and giving them the option to upgrade to a nice glossy color copy for $2.

Luckily for me, the battle maps won't be a big deal since I have some pretty good image capture and editing software. I have simply been cuttling each room onto a single page and taking out all the DM stuff from it. Then I print it out on either letter or legal paper (sadly in greyscale). From there, I will be attaching the map to foam board ($1) and using push pins (which I already had) for players and enemies as I did with VotD last year. Just pass the form board around the table, move the push pins and away we go! Still a decent time sink but quicker than remaking them all by hand.

So, what are the stats for Eldritch Blast? What else is missing from the monster spells/abilities?

For the maps, I'm going to give my players the digital map. I'm not spending $100 to print out color maps for all my players. I'm back to running, but at a new store, so I don't have the stuff from previous seasons.

In previous seasons, I got the download link as a GM, but for this one-- nothing.

From the updated rules in the Dead in Thay download. EB, Cantrip, 120' range. 1d10 force, Extra missiles with level (2@5,3@10,4@20)

Huh, they updated the Spells document in the Interim Rules Supplement. The October playtest packet Spells doc is 58 pages, the new one is 61. Time to compare!