D&D Encounters: Scourge of the Sword Coast – Preview

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

D&D Encounters Season 17 begins this week. Hopefully some folks had an opportunity to get started this past weekend during the Launch Weekned. In any case, here's a like to the preview of the adventure that we posted on Dungeon's Master.

D&D Encounters: Scourge of the Sword Coast – Preview

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

My group enjoyed this after the wilderness ordeal of Season 16 opener and the confusing morally-ambiguous Season 15 opener. I think it was a little weird to have a fight and then end it with the bridge encounter (a sort of "how will YOU get into the city" challenge).

I still think the strongest launch weekend event yet was Vault of the Dracolich. My players still talk about it, like it was an epic challenge. Plus it gave closure for people who will only ever be able to game on the weekends -- with these "first encounter" openers, it seems like it'll leave the one-off players a little dry.

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

"D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger." -- TiaNadiezja

I agree- I am trying to think of  a way to spice it up. 

I agree it's gonna be tough. My group played through the entire Ghosts of Dragonspear and are level 10. Hard to challenge them with goblins, when they just fought devils, a rakshasa, a death knight, vampires, etc. Using beefed up monsters is a good mechanical way to handle the combat side, but my players aren't scared of anything in the bestiary so I have to get creative. Any pointers or suggestions would help, thx everyone! 

10 is the recommend limit of D&D next now

Looks like they will have to reroll!

I actually am having a lot of trouble building encounters without a xp buy system anymore. Doh!

Sn0wraven1973 wrote:

I agree it's gonna be tough. My group played through the entire Ghosts of Dragonspear and are level 10. Hard to challenge them with goblins, when they just fought devils, a rakshasa, a death knight, vampires, etc. Using beefed up monsters is a good mechanical way to handle the combat side, but my players aren't scared of anything in the bestiary so I have to get creative. Any pointers or suggestions would help, thx everyone! 

This was yet another thing I found off about how this season was being done. They have presented a sequel (direct/indirect?) starting at lv2 to a previously published adventure that ends at lv10.

This is almost as bad as Akar Kessel risen from the dead at lv4?!?!?!

Season 18, face off against the mother of all dragons Tiamat!! (module for lv2-4, download only via iTunes, monster stats available only with a preapproved registration code) Invite your friends!

Sign In to post comments