"Core" level questions..

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just qualified for core level on Friday and have a few questions. I've looked through the forums and help section and although I'm sure the answers are buried there somewhere, I can't find them.

Here they are:

1) Can someone give me a brief run-down on how the pre-release works? I've booked one for the 2010 set, but I'm unclear how it's supposed to work in regards to getting the product.. what is purchased vs what is supplied... when should I start to worry when the product hasn't arrived.. those kinds of things.

2) FnM - We have been holding magic on Friday's for a long time. Normally we charge a $5 fee that goes towards prizes. For officially sanctioned FnM events, can we still charge a fee?

3) As the TO, can I participate in FnM or is it the same as tournaments where the TO can't enter?
1.- sorry i cant tell you cuz i dont know , i m just a gateway level TO.

2.-yeah you can,i dont know why but usually fee is around of 5 bucks.

3.- No pal you cant participate FNM is a tournament,(probably more important that the ones we can do when we are Gateway lvl-except release i think-,probably the most knowed magic tournament betwen, Magic players and no players

now my questions for you, how much time taked you to become a core level TO??

I have just began can you give me some hints to convince new players??

what kind of prize you recomend me to get until i get Money for BB´s of core level for FNM??

See ya pal
It took me approximately two months. It was easy to complete all the hurdles here because we've never had a TO. Nobody had DCI numbers and we have around 40 people playing. For the Alara Reborn release weekend we hosted three sanctioned events, registered everyone, and by the time we were done I just had to sanction one more event and we were done. It really would have taken only one month, but I became a TO after the Conflux release so I had to wait.

For prizes, I have it pretty easy. The owner of the store we play at is a close friend of mine. He is extremely generous and smart enough to know that you don't make money on weekly magic events. By putting the $5 per player totally into prizes he keeps the players coming back and makes his money on all the other stuff they buy. Everyone who shows up get's at least a booster pack, and I always bring a few of the gateway foils with me to random off as well.
the problem in my hometown is that there is not anybody who sells magic over here :S even at wallmart :S
First, congratulations on reaching Core!

For the prerelease: when you submit a sanctioning request for a prerelease, you're required to select a distributor through which you'll purchase your product. Later on, you'll receive an email from WPN indicating your product allocation. This email will include information on how much you may purchase for the main event, how much you'll receive in complimentary prize support, and how much you may purchase for side events (which you may also use for operational and prize product in the main event).

To purchase product, you must contact the distributor you selected after you receive the allocation email. If you do not, you will not receive any product. Wizards has emailed information on deadlines for purchasing product from distributors, but some distributors (especially in countries other than the United States) may impose deadlines of their own due to availability. It's best to contact your distributor ASAP after receiving the allocation email.

You will receive two separate shipments, one from Wizards of the Coast which will include promo cards and other support materials (all of which are complimentary), and one from your distributor which will include all the prerelease product. Wizards has emailed the dates for these as well, but as I recall, the support material kit usually arrives about one full week before the prerelease, while the product shipment usually arrives 2-3 days before the prerelease.

There will be more details in the kits, but for product handling, you should remember the following:

In the main event prize pool, there must be exactly 2 of the new set for each player in the event
In the side event prize pools, there may be up to 2 of the new set for each player in the event (but there need not be any)
You need to purchase at least one display of Intro Packs, to support casual/intro play
Absolutely no product from the new set can be used in any way prior to the release except in sanctioned tournaments - so no packs can be sold, opened, etc, except insofar as they are used as operational or prize product for an event that is reported to the DCI during the prerelease weekend.

If you have leftover product, you may sell operational product after the release, but you can't, for example, run a M2010 tournament on July 15th, between the prerelease and the release. If you have leftover complimentary prize support product, you must use it as prize support - you may not sell it, trade it, open it for singles, or use it as operational product in a tournament. It's worth keeping track of the boosters you originally had for prize support and how many you've given away for prizes.

Also, Steel_Templar, if no one in your area sells them, you might consider ordering online through a site like StarCityGames.com, or seeing if there are any FLGS that might expand to include Magic. (I'd guess if you had one, they would have Magic, but you never know.) If you're purchasing entire booster boxes, StarCityGames.com offers prices that are comparable to wholesale, but without the potential difficulties of starting a business arrangement with a distributor.
Level 2 Judge.
Great info. Thanks for the reply.
stagedtheology:

Many thx for your comprehensive summary!

Allow for a couple of minor remarks, though.
First, congratulations on reaching Core!

Second!
You will receive two separate shipments ...

Yes, unless you ordered your product directly from WotC, then it's one shipment that (just to make you nervous arrives in the nick of time (one day before the PR for ARB).
Absolutely no product from the new set can be used in any way prior to the release except in sanctioned tournaments

It's okay, though, to use some product for judge compensation (well, provided you had event staff).
Steel_Templar you might consider ordering online

The problem is that Steel_Templar is in Mexico and that, officially speaking, it's illegal for US stores to sell product outside the US. Major outlets will refuse to ship abroad and to risk their business agreement with WotC. I therefore expect TOs to have more luck with smaller stores or private sellers. (Inofficially speaking, who tracks the bar code of each single box that is sold over the internet?)
Here's another question.

I've noticed on some of the sites that they are selling play mats from the different set releases. Where do these things get given out and how can I get on the list to get some?!?
Here's another question.

I've noticed on some of the sites that they are selling play mats from the different set releases. Where do these things get given out and how can I get on the list to get some?!?

Mike,

I think SELLING is the operative word in that posting

Cali
Wizards has emailed information on deadlines ...... Wizards has emailed the dates for these as well, ...

First: Thanks LOADS for that info. This is my first experience with a pre-release as a TO, as well as the first time for the store where I am holding it.

I am as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof.

The word that bothers me in the quote is the past tense. This information has already been sent to the store owner? Because it is our first time I'm worried about things dropping through the crack and I have not seen anything about allocations or shipping dates or any of that. I did the sanction and the store owner did contact the distributor. Is that enough?

Thanks again for all that info. Your time and efforts are appreciated.

Gary

The word that bothers me in the quote is the past tense. This information has already been sent to the store owner?

My apologies if I've contributed your nerves! AFAIK, Wizards will continue to do this; I just write conservatively (in the past tense) because in my time organizing (about a year and a half) many policies have changed.

You should receive all the information you need via email, and if not, just post to the forums here. You (the organizer of note) will receive the information; your store partner will only know as much as you share with him or her.

Because it is our first time I'm worried about things dropping through the crack and I have not seen anything about allocations or shipping dates or any of that.

For the July prelease, I have not yet received anything, nor do I expect any other organizers to have. The previous preleases have had allocation information approximately a month prior to the prerelease (or a bit closer), so you can expect to receive something within the next two weeks or so. They never send out allocation information while the sanctioning window is still open, if that gives you a bit more peace of mind.

I did the sanction and the store owner did contact the distributor. Is that enough?

You'll be receiving more information as the event draws closer, and your store owner will need to contact the distributor again once you know your allocation. However, you don't need to speak directly with the distributor - M10 will be my fourth prerelease with a local store, but I've never contacted our distributor directly because the store owner always has.

Good luck with your first prerelease!

Also, BillBo, thanks for that - this is the first prerelease where my store is ordering directly through Wizards, and I'm glad I found out that it will be one shipment now rather than finding out the day before the event!
Level 2 Judge.

Next time you pass priority, I'll cast Moment's Peace
Instant
Prevent all TO damage that would be dealt this Prerelease.
Instant

Pass......

It sure is good to know I have friends....
Instant

want to trade for that card?

Cali
want to trade for that card?

Seriously, I think we could all use copies of that card from time to time...
~James Fields T.O. & Judge. Check out the New Tournament Organizer's Handbook.
It sure is good to know I have friends....

The DCI judge manager, John Carter, likes to think of all certified judges as one big family.

I ain't no manager but like to think of all us TOs as a big, friendly community and of these boards as a place to meet and support each other. So, yes, maybe we all got no money but we got friends .

@Mystical_Tutor: Just remember that you, as a Mystical Tutor, don't have to pass priority, you can always search for the card.

@cali159: Sure, we can trade the card at GenCon; do you have a spare Islands?

@jfslicer: It has flashback!
Mike,

I think SELLING is the operative word in that posting

Cali

Well I've noticed they give them out at tournaments and my game store tells me they were given a bunch of them once a while back. I just want to make sure I'm capitalizing on all avenues of free swag for our players.
CrazyMike:
I've noticed on some of the sites that they are selling play mats from the different set releases.

WotC licenses artwork, among others, to distributors and PTOs to produce play mats and t-shirts for their events. They are given out as prizes at Prereleases and go on sale later.

Well I've noticed they give them out at tournaments and my game store tells me they were given a bunch of them once a while back

There was a recent promotion for retailers that have premium status. They were sent 15 (I think) complimentary play mats featuring Nicol Bolas to support their OP.

Hope this helps.
you mean a nicol bolas planeswalker promo 8D?
you mean a nicol bolas planeswalker promo 8D?

Yup, the "ubermeanie" who enslaves even angels printed on a play mat.
Have people received the emails regarding their allotted amount for the pre-release yet? I don't mean to pester, but I have this suspicion that I haven't been receiving DCI emails lately so I wanted to check to see if they have gone out or not.
Have people received the emails regarding their allotted amount for the pre-release yet? I don't mean to pester, but I have this suspicion that I haven't been receiving DCI emails lately so I wanted to check to see if they have gone out or not.

I have not seen one yet did you get the email last night/this morning the WPN newsletter rather?

Cali
I have not seen one yet did you get the email last night/this morning the WPN newsletter rather?

Cali

Nope. There is a WPN newsletter?
Nope. There is a WPN newsletter?

Monday, June 8, 2009

Info on Magic 2010
Try these links for the scoop on Magic 2010:
Recapturing the Magic with Magic 2010

Core Set Changes Begin Summer 2009

Magic 2010 Sneak Peak

Get info, stay in touch
To find answers to most WPN Organizer questions, go to the Wizards Help System, click the "Email Us" tab to send us an email, or enter a few key words in the 'Search by Keyword' box to find answers to most questions about the WPN and Wizards of the Coast.
Alara Reborn Gateway Kits still available
If you haven't done so already, be sure to request your Alara Reborn Gateway Kit. In the Event Scheduling area of the website, click the "Wizards Play Network Materials" logo, then use the "Event Type" dropdown menu to select the kit.

We're on Facebook
Click here, or search Facebook for "Wizards Play Network" and become a fan!

Program Announcements
North America

Changes to WPN Dungeons & Dragons® Programs and Reporting

Customize Your LFR Game With My Realms Adventures!
In response to overwhelming demand, we've launched the first of several create-your-own Living Forgotten Realms adventures! Known as My Realms adventures, they allow DMs to create custom LFR adventures. For more information, please visit this page.

D&D Delve Night To End This Month
Wizards of the Coast recently tested a revamped D&D Delve Night at 15 US locations. Based on the candid and detailed feedback received from these test sites, we have decided to end the Delve Night program. For a special announcement to our Delve Night organizers, please see this announcement.

Living Forgotten Realms Reporting Update
As of Friday, June 5, organizers no longer report character-specific information from Living Forgotten Realms adventures. Players are now fully responsible for tracking their characters' XP, gold, and magic item bundles earned from play of LFR adventures. For the complete announcement, please see this page.

Program Reminders
North America

ALL ORGANIZERS

Magic 2010 Launch Party Scheduling
Launch Party scheduling ends soon. This is a FINAL REMINDER to schedule this event. If are having any difficulty scheduling your Launch Party, please let us know as soon as possible.

CORE AND ADVANCED ORGANIZERS

Friday Night Magic Scheduling
July FNM scheduling ends June 15th. If you are a Core or Advanced Organizer, and are having any difficulty scheduling your July FNM, please let us know.

CORE AND ADVANCED ORGANIZERS
(BRICK AND MORTAR RETAIL LOCATIONS ONLY)

Magic: The Gathering® Duels of the Planeswalkers⁚—Sample Deck Promotion
Wizards will be sending purchasers of Duels of the Planeswalkers, the new Xbox LIVE® Arcade title, a flyer for two free sample decks. These sample decks will be available at participating WPN locations.

To participate in this promotion, please:
— Log into the WPN scheduling area
— Click 'Event Sanctioning'
— Select the "Wizards Play Network Materials" logo
— In the "Event Type" dropdown box, select "Sample Deck Promotion - Duel of the Planeswalkers"
— Complete your request as usual. Please do not change the "event date" provided by the system.

Magic: The Gathering®
Magic 2010 Core Set—Full Box Promotion
Wizards will send you 20 foil promo cards to give one to the first twenty purchasers of a full display box of Magic 2010 Core Set booster packs.

To participate in this promotion, follow the instructions as listed above ("Sample Deck Promotion"), except select "Full Box Promotion" during the request process.

Wizards of the Coast
2009 Retailer Rewards Program
Wizards of the Coast has outlined three exciting opportunities for brick and mortar retailers who run organized play:
MTG 2010 Full Box Purchase Promotion (see above)
From the Vault: Exiled Exclusive Release
MTG Zendikar Full Box Purchase Promotion
For more information on the Retailer Rewards Program, please see this document.

Please contact us through the Wizards Help System at www.wizards.com/customer service if you have any questions about these announcements or reminders.

Please note: The information in this document is subject to change at any time without prior notice. Please contact your local office if you have any questions about your events or this email.
WPN / DCI Personal Information Center: membership.wizards.com

Wizards Help System: www.wizards.com/customer service

WPN Home Page: www.wizards.com/wpn

WIZARDS OF THE COAST®, Magic: The Gathering®, and Magic 2010⁚ are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast LLC® 2009

Xbox LIVE is a trademark of the Microsoft group of companies

Mike! this is what I got on Monday. Sorry about the formatting.
I haven't gotten an e-mail about the prerelease yet either, but don't worry too much, the distributors haven't gotten them yet either.
Thanks for the info folks. I phoned wizards today to find out why I haven't been getting the emails and it turns out I had checked the box telling them not to send me stuff. Best I can figure I must have done it as a default reaction since most sites spam with stuff.

It's all sorted out now so I should get the routine emails like the newsletter.
Magic: The Gathering®
Magic 2010 Core Set—Full Box Promotion
Wizards will send you 20 foil promo cards to give one to the first twenty purchasers of a full display box of Magic 2010 Core Set booster packs.

To participate in this promotion, follow the instructions as listed above ("Sample Deck Promotion"), except select "Full Box Promotion" during the request process.

The formatting of the newsletter is a bit off, but is this available for sanctioning right now? I don't see the option in the WPN pull down.
CrazyMike,

It is available now, but it's not under the magic sactioning section. You can find it located under "Play Network Materials."

Hope this helps,

James
Hmm. I can't see it on mine.
Hmm. I can't see it on mine.

CrazyMike: The Full Box promotion is meant to support retail stores, not TOs. Is it possible that you don't have a store nor are affiliated with one?
CrazyMike: The Full Box promotion is meant to support retail stores, not TOs. Is it possible that you don't have a store nor are affiliated with one?

Well I'm definitely not a store owner myself, so I guess that's it. I'll talk to the store that I organize for and see if they can request it. Nobody there is an organizer though. I've been requesting everything that goes on there. I'm not sure how they would go about it. I'll get them to call wizards if we can't figure it out.
Here's another question.

I noticed that no one replied to this with a definitive answer so I figured I would.

Some distributors have playmats that they either recieve from WotC direclty or manufacture themselves, these distributors will then sometimes send those playmats to select clients.

For example, my store uses GTS Distribution for our Magic product and they send us a shipment of playmats pretty regularly upon request. These mats are free of charge to us and come along with our normal ordered shipment. I use these mats to supplement our weekly Magic tournaments (the winner every week recieves a playmat, not a bad first place prize for a small local tournament).

But yeah, that would be where they come from more than likely. Every new set we get a shipment of new mats. The last launch party I held I gave away two borderpost playmats as random prizes to the participants.
I'll talk to the store that I organize for

CrazyMike:

Yes, please, do talk to your store and have them call WotC. They can see that you're TOing for that store, and I'd expect this to be enough.

PS@mickpalmer: ???? (see post #18). I think we all appreciate your additional comments, though .