GENCON INDY 2009

75 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it too early to ask if anyone else is going?
If I go, it'll be as a demo team member for Fantasy Flight Games (yay free room and board). I've gone with them for several years now and wouldn't mind going again this year.
If I go, it'll be as a demo team member for Fantasy Flight Games (yay free room and board). I've gone with them for several years now and wouldn't mind going again this year.

Lol lucky, I get to drive some guys I TO for; mainly cause none of the college students have done a 9 hour drive in one day...what is this world coming to?

ok and i have the nicest car but shhh we dont discuss that..

Cali
Is it too early to ask if anyone else is going?

I'll most probably be there again (working Magic events) and would be delighted to meet you or anyone else from these boards.
I'll be there in RPGA HQ (Sagamore Ballroom).
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

is it bad i read this and automatically thought "wow how does he rate a free room to play and a new game board?"

Cali
Folks:

It is moved and seconded that we all meet for a beer or two one night during GenCon and hang out and have some fun.

Those in favor of the motion, say “aye.”
Folks:

It is moved and seconded that we all meet for a beer or two one night during GenCon and hang out and have some fun.

Those in favor of the motion, say “aye.”

AYE
Now I need to find a way to Gencon! Arghhh! Maybe I can twist hubby's arm if the employees dont burn the store down when we go to GTS.
Now I need to find a way to Gencon! Arghhh! Maybe I can twist hubby's arm if the employees dont burn the store down when we go to GTS.

It is all about two thingsl

Bribery
and
hitch hiking

yeah I probably spelled that wrong but honestly it didnt look right no matter how i spelled it

Cali
hi guys.. i'm plannint to go GENCON

i'm from ARGENTINA ..

i will need a lot of beer is a lon trip to WALK..
i will need a lot of beer is a lon trip to WALK..

kote: that's quite a trip indeed. So your first beer is on me .
Hey Ladies and Gentlemen!

I just RSVP'd to gencon indy on FB! and downloaded their event calendar. I have no idea what I am going to do yet, too many choices!!!

What night are we meeting for drinks?

Cali aka "Shane" :D
Ok now that is it May who else is going? lol
Ok now that is it May who else is going? lol

Well, there would be me, which makes two.

I called AmandaWCU last night, and she might be prevented from coming .

I don't know when everyone else will be in town, but I thought Wednesday night might be good.

And yes, it looks as though we will have a number of workshops for TOs/WPN coordinators Sunday morning, two or three from around 9am through noon. Details pending; I'll keep you posted in this thread.

Edit: "Wednesday" night, not "Thursday;" everyone will be gaming on Thursday .
@Cali... I've been on the FFG volunteer team/playtest team since 2005, so that's where I "rate." ;)

The only thing about big conventions like GC, you usually spend so much time and effort working in the dealers room, that you're too pooped to play anything or explore much once you have the time. I didn't play a single game other than what I was demoing last time I went in 2007. But it's a "free" trip, and it's always nice to see the dealers room go up the day before public sees it.

I may be going with Atlas Games instead of FFG this year. As they've gotten to be a bigger company, there is much more logistical hoops to jump through as a volunteer that I don't know if I feel like dealing with this time.
Just re-confirming that I'm going to be at the show, though my time will be split between Sagamore Ballroom (for my RPGA duties as well as RPGA playtime), and my wife and daughter.

That said - I look forward to meeting people, and hopefully helping out in one of these seminars.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

I won't be able to come

The transatlantic swim is a little too much for me right now and the plane tickets are just too expensive

maybe next year...
Well my time is my own so i was considering signing up to volunteer with the gencon staff. unless anyone else knows of anything I can do?
Well my time is my own so i was considering signing up to volunteer with the gencon staff. unless anyone else knows of anything I can do?

Can't speak for WOTC, but I know FFG always brings a full load of help from their playtesting and demo teams. I could only assume that most companies have their own pool as you can't always be promised there will be someone waiting in the wings when you get there that you know will be reliable and trustworthy.
ty vm panda

There are lots of volunteer opportunities if you have the time to spare.

In the RPGA we're looking for a few hundred judges for the show, so if you like running D&D we'd love to have more warm bodies.

The rewards for helping out breakdown as follows:
  • RPGA runs 3 slots a day.
  • Volunteer for 4+ slots - your GenCon badge is paid for
  • Volutneer for 7+ slots - Your hotel room is paid for (we stay in the attached Mariott)
  • For every 2 slots you volunteer you earn a "credit" that can be used to get a hardback rule book - or (usually) a couple boxes of minis.

Details here:
http://gencon.baldmangames.com

Discussion here:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1187110

i was considering signing up to volunteer with the gencon staff.

... and if you're rather into Magic or miniatures than RPGA (although I have to admit with envy that Sagamore Ballroom has the coolest Dragon possible hanging from the ceiling , here's the place to go to

http://www.pastimes.net/volunteer/application/gencon2009

and here's the fine print
Pastimes blurb
There are a couple of things you need to please keep in mind before you register:

1. Dates – August 13-16 (Thursday through Sunday)
2. To be eligible for a badge you must volunteer for a minimum of two shifts, at least one of which is Friday or Saturday
3. To be eligible for a hotel room, you must volunteer for a minimum of three shifts which must include Friday and Saturday
4. ****NEW**** You MUST have a Gen Con account for us to get you a badge. If you do not have one of these, go to http://www.genconreg.com/session/new and get one before going any further. If you have one of these from a previous year, I believe you have to sign up for a new one… they have a new system and I don’t believe the old accounts migrated
5. We will try to get you notified about your acceptance or lack thereof asap so you can make whatever plans you need to – including planning for other events (for which you will need a badge – see above)
6. There will be a minimal priority to people who do not need a room. Also, if you do not need a room, your volunteer “thank you” will most likely be higher than if you needed a room
7. If you have already purchased a badge – no worries. Once we have your badge number, it will be submitted to Gen Con and you will receive a refund (hopefully quickly) The system we are using this year will help expedite this compared to previous years…
8. I will be in touch with Jim Fraser (Star Wars Manager for Pastimes’ Gen Con Events) and Mark Pruett (HeroScape Manager for Pastimes’ Gen Con Events) to work on schedule for those events, but we still need a full application to go in
9. I am sure there are judges who are not receiving this email who would like to volunteer to help at Gen Con – feel free to pass it along!
10. Questions – please email me – [email]alan@pastimes.net[/email]

Edit: Removed the comma.
So it looks like I should be able to come barring any unforseen problems (as I told Billbo my husband has been very ill for some time). I was wondering if there were any particular hotels those who have been would recommend.

Also I clicked on the pastimes link and it didnt seem to work quite right

Take the comma "," off the end. ( https://www.pastimes.net/volunteer/application/gencon2009/ )

For what it's worth - hotels are all rather pricey for GenCon. Some people try to save money by staying on the fringe of town, but from what I hear those savings are often eaten by the daily parking costs ($8-10, plus the gas back and forth, etc) to say nothing of the "well, we should get going now, our hotel is xx minutes away" issues.

If you can swing it at all, I suggest staying in one of the hotels within walking distance.

The other catch is that the hotels book up quickly. The "official" GenCon housing block is currently full (Though there's always a cancellation here or there so you might get lucky) and at this point you're best off just calling around (or using travel sites) to compare and to check for openings.

So it looks like I should be able to come barring any unforseen problems (as I told Billbo my husband has been very ill for some time). I was wondering if there were any particular hotels those who have been would recommend.

I have been checking rates on travelocity, Then cross referencing them with the rates on the actual hotel websites, since most hotel sites will match a travel site's price and give you ten percent off.

I am not cheap, I just enjoy hunting!

Cali
Take the comma "," off the end. ( https://www.pastimes.net/volunteer/application/gencon2009/ )

For what it's worth - hotels are all rather pricey for GenCon. Some people try to save money by staying on the fringe of town, but from what I hear those savings are often eaten by the daily parking costs ($8-10, plus the gas back and forth, etc) to say nothing of the "well, we should get going now, our hotel is xx minutes away" issues.

I ended up getting a room about 7 miles away but its 50 bucks a night wed through sat night. its the Knight's Inn i have stayed at worse hostels so I am not really concerned lol

Cali
I ended up getting a room about 7 miles away but its 50 bucks a night wed through sat night. its the Knight's Inn i have stayed at worse hostels so I am not really concerned lol

Cali

Nice find!

Fair enough then, I stand corrected on my doom-n-gloominess.

Nice find!

Fair enough then, I stand corrected on my doom-n-gloominess.

Wolf,

you are too nice to hold on to the doom-n-gloominess for very long :P

Cali
Hey folks,

Just went and bought my badge for gencon as well as registered for the WPN workshop on Sunday morning. so THAT event is up.

Cheers,

Cali

now its time to fill out my volunteer form.
I was just wondering where WOTC gets its volunteers I didnt see an announcement anywhere.

Am i being nosy again?

Cali
I was just wondering where WOTC gets its volunteers I didnt see an announcement anywhere.

Cali:

Didn't wolfstar76 and I post them earlier in this thread? What else are looking for?
Am i being nosy again?

We love Nosy Goblins :P .
Cali:

Didn't wolfstar76 and I post them earlier in this thread? What else are looking for?

Yep you were right, had to go back and read past the "looking for judges" line.

Wolfstar and BillBo both rock.

Cali
Cali:

HEY! WOTC didnt have permission to use my high school yearbook photo for their card!!! my skin has cleared up since then....honest..

lol
Hey all, its Mid June and I was wondering if anyone had heard about being accepted as a volunteer? Early July is the deadline for gencon and I would like to get an app in there if the pastimes.net doesn't want me.

Set up two new venues and now just waiting patiently for them to approve them so I can start TO'ing again but i must admit the casual play among friends during the same time slot ROCKS!

as an aside, from the employees of my old stores; no new games are scheduled by the owner for the foreseeable future...

Cali
just double checked my time for the WPN seminar if anyone is interested in 10am on Sunday and it looks like i have the only ticket so far! wow im blessed :P

Cali

Cali

Just rechecked my rate and yesterday it dropped to 42 bucks a night for a grand total of 197 for wed through sun. So i went and modified my reservation still 7 or 8 miles from convention center though.
Wednesday night at Gencon, any ideas on where yet? I heard the Ram is going to be packed with the Kentucky Fried Gamers and the GCUN.

Cali
Wednesday night at Gencon, any ideas on where yet?

Cali: I don't know what delays finalizing the details but inquired, again, this morning and will keep you all posted in this thread.
Thanks to BillBo's posting about the spam in the other thread with coffee shop...I now owe HIM a beer.

LMAO OMG

Cali
Fulfillment starts next week! a conference tables, badges tickets and badge holders oh my!