DoD: Opening crawls for every episode

OK, so here are crawls for all 10 episodes.

Dawn of Defiance 1 through 10 crawls

They are done in Powerpoint, but the text does trail off into the distance like in the movies. Also, at the end of each crawl, the scene pans down to establish where the PCs are at the start of the episode. So for DoD1, it pans down to show Sel Zonn station in orbit of Brentaal. For DoD2 through DoD6, it pans down to show the Resurgence. For DoD7, it pans down to show Coruscant. For DoD8, it pans down to show Alderaan. For DoD9, it pans down to show Prakith. For DoD10, it pans down to show part of Lady Aldrete's fleet with her Corellian Gunship at the forefront.  I hope everyone enjoys them!

OK, now for the technical aspects. I have two versions of each crawl hosted at the above site. One (labeled "recommended") is a 2007 Powerpoint .pptx file. This version can be freely modified to use whatever text you want (granted, it's not as easy as it sounds) in the crawl. The other is a .ppt file that is compatible with 97-03 Powerpoint. Since I have 2007, I don't know how the .ppt works on older versions of the software. But I'm providing it for anyone who doesn't have 2007. If anybody tries these out, please let me know whether or not they work for you. There are 2 sound files included in each .zip. They are the same sound files for each .zip, but you only really need them once. If you keep them together with the Powerpoint files, they should work just fine. But the Powerpoint files are set up to specifically look for the sound files at the following location: C:\crawls\sound\

IMPORTANT: So if you don't hear the music for some reason, make sure you place the 2 sound files in the above path.

In terms of modifying the crawl text to suit your own needs, it can be done, but you must go line by line, and if your paragraphs don't match up exactly with what I have, you'll need to adjust the timing of each Custom Animation in order to make it look right. You'll also want to adjust the character spacing in order to make each line appear fully justified (highlight the entire line, right click it, select "Font", select the "Character Spacing" tab, set Spacing to "Expanded", and change the value until the line strecthes as far as it can go without going down to a second line).
I haven't looked at all of them yet, but I did look at the one for episode 1. I can tell you put a lot of work in, because I tried making some changes to the flat crawl I had for episode 1 and the one you made for episode 5...all I did was make them worse. Thanks for sharing.
Hey, I owe you one for offering to host all these files. Send me the text that you want to use for your crawl, and I'll make a special one for you. You've got my e-mail, just send it to me, and I'll get it to you in a few days.
Hey, I owe you one for offering to host all these files. Send me the text that you want to use for your crawl, and I'll make a special one for you. You've got my e-mail, just send it to me, and I'll get it to you in a few days.

Once again it seems I mistyped. I've had no problems yet with changing the text in the crawls you made. I was trying to mess with the animations in the first draft of the Episode 5 crawl you sent me to see if I could figure out how to make the appearance of "accelerating" off the screen go away, but all I did was make the crawl look worth.

If I start having problems with modifying the text, I'll send you an email, though. Thanks for the offer.
I have added the crawl for DoD 9. See the link in the first post.

Enjoy!
Oops! I screwed up! I left out a paragraph of the DoD 9 crawl.

I'll post again once I've fixed it.
OK, I've fixed it. If you've already downloaded DoD 9, make sure the crawl has all 3 paragraphs in it.

Let me know if anyone finds any other errors.

Thanks.
When trying to download part 6 (recommended) I am met with a "javascript error".
Thanks for letting me know.

I tried it and got the same error. But only for that one file. A spot check of the other files indicated that the rest download just fine.

I have submitted a Support Ticket for the issue. Hopefully they'll resolve it soon. I'll let you know when it gets fixed.
Ok, it's working now. Let me know if you have any other problems.
OK, so here are crawls for all 9 episodes (and the last 1 will be done also once it comes out).

Dawn of Defiance 1 through 9 crawls

They are done in Powerpoint, but the text does trail off into the distance like in the movies.

Also, at the end of each crawl, the scene pans down to establish where the PCs are at the start of the episode. So for DoD1, it pans down to show Sel Zonn station in orbit of Brentaal. For DoD2 through DoD6, it pans down to show the Resurgence. For DoD7, it pans down to show Coruscant. For DoD8, it pans down to show Alderaan. For DoD9, it pans down to show Prakith.

I hope everyone enjoys them!

Old Benn - I've searched the Internet and your version of the opening crawl is my favorite. In my opinion, you can't have an opening crawl without there being a finally pan at the end... and yours is the only one I've seen that does it. Nice work!

Founding member of the Star Wars Adventure Writers Guild Organizer of the NorCal Star Wars Gaming League Avatar image by artist Steve Criado of Fandom Comics PST (GMT-8) Evening and Weekend Gamer VTT: Fantasy Grounds

Thank you, Hye_Jedi! I'm very pleased to hear you like them. That's what makes it all worthwhile.

I've been wanting to get the 10th crawl out there, but I'm not sure how to proceed.  So I thought I'd ask for your input.

All my crawls pan down at the end to establish the current location.  DoD 1-9 show where the PCs currently are.

But DoD 10 is not terribly clear about where the PCs start.  The module refers to Lady what's-her-name's ship, but I don't know what kind of ship she has. 

So I was thinking that maybe the crawl should pan down to show the SSD and the Golan SS instead.

What do you think?

Hi old_benn. These are really cool. Just wondering why you chose to go with Arial for the text instead of Franklin Gothic?

Have you seen this guide to making opening crawls? Here. I thought I might use it to make the colors and fonts a bit more "authentic". However, when I went to edit the text in the crawl to change the font, I found that everything appeared to just be pictures rather than text. I'm using your 2003-compatible versions (I haven't got Office 2007). I can edit the "A long time ago ..." bit.

I'm also curious to know why you included a picture of the Saga Edition core rulebook cover in the crawl? Is that instead of the LucasFilm logo?

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

Would you like to help build the D&D 5e forum community?
You can start by introducing yourself here.

Thanks!

Well, to answer your questions about the font, I just went with what "looked best".  But I admit I didn't go through dozens and dozens of fonts before settling on Arial.  I also did not know of any "how to" guides for making crawls.  I just tried to emulate what I saw on somebody's excellent crawls that I used for DoD 1 through 4. 

And that also answers your question about putting the cover in there in place of "Lucasfilm".  I can't remember who it was that made the crawls that I used for DoD 1 through 4, but those used the cover too.  And I made mine to be as similar to those as possible.  That's because I wanted crawl #5 to be similar to crawls #1-#4 that my group had already seen.

Of course, I went ahead and added the pan down, which was different, but I felt that I had to do something to make up for the "runaway text" effect.

As for trying to change the crawl text, I don't think you can do it with the older versions of Powerpoint.  Those versions can't handle the angled text.  And since the "long time ago" text isn't angled, you are able to edit that part.

So, any thoughts about what the DoD 10 crawl should pan down to?

Thanks. Are yours the only ones that have the pan down effect at the end? It's a really nice touch.

As for Episode 10 - what about panning down to a shot of the fleet Lady Aldrete has assembled? I don't know how you put together the pan down shots but maybe you could get some pictures of ships and put them in front of the star field?

As for that "how to" guide - it's actually a little confusing because it tells you to use Franklin Gothic Book for the "A long time ago ..." bit, but the text in the example picture uses some other font.

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

As far as I know, only mine pan down at the end. (And I'm glad you like it! Smile )

I suppose I could pan down to the fleet.  I'd have to just wing it in terms of what ships the fleet is comprised of.  I have no problem doing that for my own campaign, but I'm guessing that other GM's may have other ideas of what they want the fleet to be made up of.

Hmmm.  So far, I like that idea the best.  I've got a few too many projects going right now, so it might take some time to get DoD 10's crawl done.   I'll get to it as soon as I can.
Cool. So the only way I'd be able to edit the crawl text is if I've got PowerPoint 2007, is that correct?

~ David G. Allen

Yes, I believe that is correct.
Yes, I believe that is correct.

OK thanks. I'm going to be getting a new desktop computer soon. I just might have to arrange to have Office 2007 preinstalled on it ...

~ David G. Allen

Looks to me like the ship the heroes go to and that Lady A. is aboard when greeting the heroes is a Correlian Guship. Per the Adventure:
     Lady Alya invites the heroes to dock on her flagship, a heavily modified Corellian gunship.

So. maybe that in the forefront with a couple of various freighters, fighters and other ships in the background?

BTW, I plan on using your crawls for just this fact of the pan down which makes it feel like the movies.
Sweet! Thanks for finding that info!  I will definitely do that.

Again, sorry if anybody is wanting DoD10 in the immediate future -- it might be a little while yet.  I'll do my best though.

And, I'm very pleased that you like them!
Ok, the crawl for DoD 10 is up!  See the first post or my sig for the link.

Enjoy!

Very nice. The fleet is pretty much how I had envisioned it when I first came up with the idea. Laughing

~ David G. Allen

Hey, old_benn ... just curious: is it possible for me to change the pictures at the bottom of each crawl? I've now got PowerPoint 2007, so I've been able to change the fonts and stuff to make them look more "authentic", but I am also considering moving some of the locations ... and I know that my players would probably never notice that the initial crawl is showing a brown deserty planet when the planet I've moved it to is supposed to be blue or something, but it matters enough to me that I'd like to know if it's possible for me to change the picture ... so, for instance, if I wanted to have Sel Zonn Station orbiting Eriadu instead of Brentaal IV, would I be able to somehow substitute the picture of Brentaal with a picture of Eriadu?

~ David G. Allen

Sure, it's possible to substitute the pictures of the planets.  I used Photoshop, and you'll probably want to do the same.  If you don't have that, you can probably use GIMP (it's free), though I've never used that myself, so I couldn't say for sure.

I went ahead and added a new folder called "images" to the MediaFire location (same link as in the first post).  In there, you'll find the starfield I used, as well as the .png image I used for Sel Zonn station.  Just stick the station at the bottom of the starfield.  Then you'll need to find the planet you want to use and copy it at the bottom as well.  Save the picture, and you're ready for the next step.

Open the powerpoint file, go to the Animations tab, and click Custom Animation.  That will show you all the animations.  Go to the page(s) with the modified starfield.  Near the bottom, there's one for "Picture 2".  That's the animation that moves the modified starfield image.  Note all the details (start, delay, speed, etc.) about that animation and maybe the one after it too (Since it's dependent upon the Picture 2 animation, I'm not sure if it will be altered when you delete the Picture 2 animation.

Copy the new starfield picture into the page and make sure it lines up perfectly with the old picture.  Then do a "send to back" so you can see and delete the old picture.  Then add a new animation onto the new picture with the same details that you just recorded for the old picture.

Sorry if you already knew some (or all of this).  Just wanted to get the basics out there in case anybody else wanted to try this too.

If you still have questions about how to do any of this, let me know.

Old Benn

EDIT:  You should be able to leave the first starfield picture alone (the one with the STAR WARS logo on page 4), since the starfield portion of your new picture *should* still be identical to the one in that picture.  If you do replace that picture too, be aware that when you delete the old picture, you might erase the existing animations for that page.  (I can't remember if those animations are tied to the picture or not.)  So you might have to re-create them for the new picture.  Let me know if you have any problems or questions.
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll see what I can do. I might just try super-imposing another planet (after clear-cutting it in photoshop) over the image of Brentaal ...

EDIT: Actually, I might just leave it and say it looks all brown because the air is so polluted. LOL.

~ David G. Allen