Enhancing DoD: 4 - Echoes of the Jedi *SPOILER*

Whether in planning beforehand or during the game session itself, almost every GM makes changes to a published module. Sometimes the changes are necessary, sometimes they just add to the fun.

What changes have you made to Echoes of the Jedi? How did they turn out? Would you use these tweaks again or recommend them to another GM?

Feel free to post links to your session threads.

All modules:
The Traitor's Gambit
A Wretched Hive
The Queen of Air and Darkness
Echoes of the Jedi
The First to Strike
The Core of Corruption
A Reckoning of Wraiths
The Gem of Alderaan
The Sword of the Empire
Jaws of the Sarlacc

The Squib/Ugor encouter I altered a bit. Light0hearted fun can be good, but that encounter just took it too far IMO, down to plain silliness. Halfway through and the players just wanted to be done with the stupid arguement. So, the second the party seemed to favor the Squibs, the Ugors attacked. It was extremely easy, but now that I look back at it I wish I'd just done a straight firefight. The characters step into the middle of it and have to decide which side to support (they'll have to go talk to either side to get the story), or decide to just sit it out.

When we did the UNderground Park encounter I didn't do the pairing up very well. The heaviest hitter, who I feared would easily kill one of the other players, I put against the cultist. He killed the cultist almost instantly, which ended the encounter too quickly for it to be a major event. When I run it again I'm going to put the weakest party member against the cultist, and have the cultist act very defensive.

I wish I'd thought of a good way to drop Master Vhiin'Thorla completely from the game, but I didn't. He such an obvious plot devise, and such a poorly made character, I just don't like him. I'm still working on a good fix for him though.

Based on my experience playing the game, I altered Dracos stats a little. Instead of Power of the Dark Side and Telekinetic Savant I gave him Adept Spellcaster and Force Flight. One of the players spent a Force Point and used Move Object to knock Draco off the bridge, only to be stunned when Draco stopped in mid-air, and calmly walked back.
"And the TL;DR award goes to Raul Torin!" - CorranHornIsAwesome Official SAGA Edition Errata Dawn of Defiance Other Articles Thanks to GreySword for compiling these
I haven´t ran it yet, but i´m afraid the players will get control of the pirates ship. anyone had this problem? is it a problem?
I am very sure that my players getting the blood brother is a REAL possiblity with the module as currently written. I think that I may add a second blood brother 2 ship to the encounter that during the combat takes up a position to prevent escape by the PCs (forcing them to the planet), and if they do take over the ship it will blast the holy heck out of the blood brother 1... However a "crashed" blood brother 1 on the planet may be a good "hook" for allowing them to scavenge parts to repair their ship and possibly even upgrade it a bit... I haven't given it a lot of thought yet since they are still in the early parts of QoAaD but that is my initial feeling about that encounter...

Jedi Dade
I'm all for my players getting the Blood Brother, they've spent so much time and money on their current ship theres no way they'd give it up. I'm sure they'll just send it into hyperspace with one of the ship's astromech droids to meet up with the resurgence and help out the cause.

They've been commandeering equipment vehicles and personnel for the Alderaanian resistance since the first module. They keep winning over interesting side characters with the silver tongues and valor. Theres plenty of people to crew one more ship, heh.
Based on my experience playing the game, I altered Dracos stats a little. Instead of Power of the Dark Side and Telekinetic Savant I gave him Adept Spellcaster and Force Flight. One of the players spent a Force Point and used Move Object to knock Draco off the bridge, only to be stunned when Draco stopped in mid-air, and calmly walked back.

If Draco could fly, though, he wouldn't fall down the pit at the end of the encounter. :P
He would if he was out of force points.
If Draco could fly, though, he wouldn't fall down the pit at the end of the encounter. :P

That only happens after the "killing blow" according to the encounter. At that point, I'd say he at least unconscious, and unable to catch himself. Or maybe he survives, falls to the bottom, but right before he hits, he catches himself, then slowly escapes, with a great desire for revenge. :D
"And the TL;DR award goes to Raul Torin!" - CorranHornIsAwesome Official SAGA Edition Errata Dawn of Defiance Other Articles Thanks to GreySword for compiling these
Just to stir things up a bit, since I've enjoyed all these Enhancing DoD threads, I thought I'd get one of them put to the front page by asking a question.

Notice that Switch has asked the heroes to do something in each of the first three adventures. Yet in EotJ we hear nothing from him. Now I'm not saying he has to come into the picture in every adventure, and I'm not sure when the next time he will show up in the campaign is (especially since Ep. 5's still not out--hoping it will be soon), but if you were going to put Switch in this adventure, how would you do it?
WINNER OF YOU BUILD THE CHARACTER #6 - Qui-Gon Jinn "For 300 years we prepared, we grew stronger. While you rested in your cradle of power." -Lord Malgus, The Old Republic Trailer "Am I the only one that saw the film and thought Obi-Wan was expressing an opinion of moral superiority/ideological victory with his statement? Y'know, instead of stating to the highly experienced combatant in front of him the obvious fact that he stood a few meters below him on the vertical axis?" -d20 Radio regarding Obi-Wan's comment to Anakin "It's over Anakin. I have the high ground."
It might be funny comic relief if switch sent a messaeg to the heros about there being pirate activity in the system AFTER the Blood brother encounter ;) I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense really but it could be funny :D Perhaps he thinks that they PCs might want to enlistt their aid against the Empire - too bad they just smoked (or were smoked by) them whe they get the message ;)

Jedi Dade
Just so no one misses out on some other good discussions about improving EotJ...check out this thread...
In an effort to prevent the characters from acquiring the Blood Brother, I had the pirate leader equipped with a deadman's switch. Once he died, the PC's were fairly confused why all the remaining pirates started moving onto the PC's ship ignoring AOO. Once they figured it out there was a neat sequence with the Jedi getting the boarding tube unattached and the ships pilot getting them the hell out of there just in time for the Blood Brother to blow. (of course I wasn't going to let them all die but I think I did mention to my players, "Hope there isn't a TPK today" but don't tell them that)
my players repelled the boarding party, and went about their business... they had more important stuff to do that getting a new ship.

If they had taken her, they wold have given her to Blue Vortex Mining Cooporation, which is the handle for the insurgency.

...Bug
I have a question about the dreambeast and its CL. Is it just me or does it seem WAY overpowered for a CL 8 designation?
I have a question about the dreambeast and its CL. Is it just me or does it seem WAY overpowered for a CL 8 designation?

I don't know why I can't find this (even using search), but somewhere in these forums, the author of DoD4 said the following referring to the dreambeast:
"The DR 25 for the creature on page 33 is very high. This was an oversight from the writers. As an erratum, I would lower it to DR 10 instead. Also revise its Defenses to:

Ref 11 (flat-footed 11), Fort 22, Will 11

With the revised Fort Defense, the damage threshold is 42 instead of 50."

Does this ease the overpoweredness of a CL8 designation for you?

And if anyone can find that post, that would be great. I thought it was in this thread, but I guess not.
WINNER OF YOU BUILD THE CHARACTER #6 - Qui-Gon Jinn "For 300 years we prepared, we grew stronger. While you rested in your cradle of power." -Lord Malgus, The Old Republic Trailer "Am I the only one that saw the film and thought Obi-Wan was expressing an opinion of moral superiority/ideological victory with his statement? Y'know, instead of stating to the highly experienced combatant in front of him the obvious fact that he stood a few meters below him on the vertical axis?" -d20 Radio regarding Obi-Wan's comment to Anakin "It's over Anakin. I have the high ground."
Yes, that is much better. Thanks for the information, Hammersolo!
I don't know I ran it as written and my PCs took it down in about 10 rounds, with one PC dropping a force Point to remain alive after I critted him with the dream dragon... It was exciting, life threatening but beatable... Perfect encounter IMO...

My (remaining) Jedi PC started to go all out defensive basically daring the beast to stomp him, while the gunslinger range attacked it to death rapid shot on heavy blasters, whittled it down... a full defensive Jedi with acrobatics is darn tough to hit... Whereas the dragon is easy to hit, just tough to damage, with enough time, and a few good damage rolls it got down fairly quick...5-10 HP at a time... ;)

Jedi Dade
Hello everyone,

I will try to tell what happened in my campaign.

The Blood Brother encounter went well as far as the "space battle" went for the Pirates to board the ship. I think the players got that they were not going to win a direct battle.

The motivation to attack on the players ship for the pirates seemed OK. The players had heavy weapons and started blasting the pirates as soon as they came through the airlock. There are also two force users that did lots of mass damage with Force Slam. The pirates tried to get back to their ship, but were pursued by the players. There was much drama as the docking tube retracted and half the players had to deal with damage from vacuum. Doing dramatic jumps and using lightsabers, the party then boarded the Blood Brother to teach the pirates a lesson. However, the captain didn't want damage to the airlock hatch from a lightsaber, so he opened the door and let them in. The party had to take zero gravity sickness rolls and such, as gravity was off. Which worked fine for the pirate leader, but not the henchmen. The battle was a bit more balanced now and the pirates had a chance to win. Unfortunatly more Jedi Mind Tricks cause the pirates to stop various actions and several jumped out the airlock to be picked up later.

The pirates called a truce. They would not kill the pilot that was left on the players ship if the boarders would exit immediatly. So ended the fight.

Later they just gave lots of money to the Squibs and the Ugors. Money they won from the Queen of Light and Darkness. Also, they sold many other spoils of their previous encounters.

The Dark Lizards attacked. But due to the Squibs help and the confined space of the ruins, the beast could not fully surround and gang up one hero. Also, there were a lot more Force Slams.

The problem for the game was the "undead" encounter. The stats and abilities were not clear. Perhaps someone can clear things up.

The Guardian control two bodies each? How many times a day could they do this? Once a body was destroyed the could use another as a puppet?
I just let the four weaker ones stay dead. As for the masters once they are beaten in the starter bodies, do they have full hit points in the new possessed bodies? I just reduced the next body as having half the HP of the first. They had lost all HP when the last body was destroyed. I kept them where they were when they went down the condition track. They also lost some powers. With the creatures reanimating in new bodies and not clear rules wise if they should be this powerful, I held back. The party got wise and destroyed the unanimated bodies to keep them from possessing again. With more Force Slams the party destroyed the other bodies. They beat the two Guardian Spirits and left them with nowhere to go. In hindsight the Force Slams could not destroy in animate objects, only the possessed ones. I just wanted the encounter to be over, and so did they. I would not want to kill the party with Guardian Spirits if what they could do and not do was not clear.

Hopefully someone has a differnt approach to this encounter.

Thanks
The undead encounter is fairly straightforward.

The firsty thing to realize is that there are only 6 corpses in the room.

2 are being animated by a Guardian Spirit, and uses the top stat block. The other 4 are being moved, more-or-less like puppets, by a small portion of the Guardian Spirits minds.

If the PCs do not destroy the 4 non-GS bodies, a GS whose host is destroyed can grab any of them within 10 asquares of where their host fell.

The new GS host gets the 69 hp - whatever hp they had already lost during the encounter. And, if the new body has been knocked down the condition track, it is still that far down the condition track when taken over directly.

The GS is still down any Force Points and force powers used so far during the encounter.

Of course, if any of the PCs get killed, which is extremely unlikely, the body is another possible receptacle for a GS, if needed.
Music is something I'm going to pay particular attention to in this horror themed adventure, to ensure I evoke the specific atmosphere I want. In this case, I may choose John William's Dracula 1979 score for Draco's leitmotif. It has a lot of the Star Wars signatures (really John Williams musical signatures) but is not specifically evocative of the Emperor or other movies.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8FqHdapEbw&feat...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5u-CInLz8

For the scenes of mounting dread, I'm going to use my faves Howard Shore's music from Se7en and The Fly and Christpher Young's The Fly II

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuvzYk1m5vA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT_2sGaK5qE&feat...

HIYA!
Okay, Raul talked about something that I totally want to explore. See, my GM and I are alternating running modules, so that we can both play! YAY! I have a whole bunch of experience running the game, and the rules are totally second nature, right? Anyways, I dont like the Jedi Master in the secind level. And here's why:
First, it's a rediculous situation with the cage...our party is more combat than contemplate...which I totally try to make up for, but we have relatively inexperienced gamers...who tend to take a super silly approach to the game...and more often than not, dont really pay attention to whats going on cuz thier iPhone has cool stuff on it. Anywho, I think they would end up just killing the Jedi.
Second, the encounter with him is super cheesy. He's all sad and weepy cuz he had to fight his padawan. Okay, thats too bad and all, but come on. He lost the will to go on?! Really? Are we sure that character doesn't have post partum or something?
Third, miraculously (as if the players attempt to cheer him up didn't work, he found the will on his own) he's able to come back, and take the Holocron from the bad guy?! I thought he was too sad to do anything?!
I want to have the players find him already dead. We have a Miraluka in the group that specializes in Farseeing...it's like he's on a nationally syndicated tv show as a "medium" who can totally see a persons past, and gets visions of thier future! So, I wouldn't really have to have him cry his story to the party, right? PLUS!!! I think its a way better idea to give the players the idea that the Jedi really are a dying breed.
K, so, I hope someone has some thoughts...I would appreciate whatever anyone thinks. I dont usually run modules, and I dont want to alter this so much that it loses the point of the story arc itself.
Hugs everyone!
First, it's a rediculous situation with the cage...Anywho, I think they would end up just killing the Jedi.

I agree. I wanted to kill the guy. Not only is he so depressed, but he's also a painfully obvious mechanic to save the party if they end up in trouble during that last encounter. It would be worth the DSP, if the Jedi in my group (all three of them) wouldn't turn and kill me in turn (I'm a gambler/face-man. Three Jedi in melee wouldn't end pretty for me)

I want to have the players find him already dead.

That's not a bad idea. Are you sure you want to sacrifice your dues-ex-machina though? :D
If he's already dead, perhaps his Force Ghost appears since its "his destiny"?

That'd solve the problem of Deus Ex Machina and why he cannot go with them. I let them rescue him, actually, and he turned out to be a nice source of Jedi Lore once...

...Well, I'm sure the other GMs know what happens. :D
I put him on the first level the PC explore... Force sensitive PC sensed his presence above the dark mess freely at the end of all the first basement encounter.

When they met him, he was kind of dark... By avoiding to join the darkside and Draco, he killed his padawan and fall to the darkside (interesting isn't it ?).

Note he CAN'T sever force with DSP. It's non raw.

a survivor padawan PC had a long tchat with him and then decided to release him... THERE i decided that releasing him would hurt him a lot with the electrical protection that is presented.

He wasn't really able to fight and had to be protected instead, so PCs don't have a jedi master and all his powers with them.

On the second basement, he evaluated the Padawan's level against the Believer and didn't join the fight.

Against the T'salak he fought against the padawan in this world full of illusion from the Dark Side... At the end of the encounter he realized how wrong he was and i gave him REDEMPTION (lost all FP and all DSP but 1).

Noghris went there in my game (warriors followed by 2 assassins). The Jedi master was equiped with his padawan lightsaber (retrieved by PC with the Squibs)... He felt in the underground river in the surprise round and so wasn't able to show his "lightsaber teacher" abilities in all the 2nd basement encounter.

I ran an encounter against the noghri strike leader and Crant (Draco's nighthunter) near and inside the chirurgical bay. At a time the jedi master saved the noghri from dying from a pc shot.

He lost his last DSP AND WAS THEN ABLE TO SEVER FORCE... I gave him a Vital Transfer he used to heal a PC... His HP got even worst and really had to be protected.

... in the final encounter, he stayed quiet during the talking, meditating on the outcome. His lightsaber finally succeeded to ignite.

Survivor padawan PC protected the soldier and the scoundrel PC against the unseen shadowtroopers (they were really TOUGH to notice) until Raik Muun, fallen padawan, engaged.

Soldier+scoundrel VS shadowtroopers
jedi padawan VS Raik Muun

Master Jedi Valhin Thorla VS Draco... Finally he sacrified himself against Draco and succeeded to destrooy the Sith Holocron after an impressive lightsaber duel...

Draco threatened them and the Sith Spirit in the Holocron flee in the Dragon beneath after attacking PC morale... they were desperate at that point... And they heard the voice of the Jedi in their mind (obiwan style : run luke run)...

That gave them the NOBLE SACRIFICE destiny bonus... players and characters found there some new strengh...

That's how i used the jedi master in my game. my 2 cents.

EDIT : by the way, my draco inquisitor is a CL15 character Jedi 7/soldier 1/Officer 2/Force Adept 3/Sith Lord 2 (the holocron opened him the ability to take Sith Lord PrC levels)...
Well, Mr Raul...
I dont know, see? Sure, I'm just a silly grrl, but even I dont think this adventure needs a warm and fuzzy. And thats what the Jedi Master is all about. You're so totally right about it being a super cheapo plot device.

"Oh, no! A big scary dark side person!!! Lets go get the Jedi Master to take care of it, so we can pretend we did something!!!"

Okay...I'm gonna break ditzy girl mode for a minute and draw upon my vast boy nerd knowledge for a second, k? ::coughs voice back into masculine range::

The Jedi Master is going to have been killed. Draco's torture finished him off. He lost the desire to continue to physically fight after he slew his padawan, because he was wracked with greef. Fine. But, he didn't lose the will to continue to resist the Dark Side. I'll probubly have Draco explain a snipet of this in thier conversation at Draco's Lair.
I inserted a plot device the last time I ran, and had Raik Muun (Draco's apprentice) actually be a fugative jedi who was on the run with one of the PCs, but was captured as the PC fled from the Bounty Hunters. That gives the Jedi PC more of a stake in this fight, and it might not become a simple "lets kill the baddies."
Next important piece, I'm gonna have the pervasiveness of the Dark Side on Almos be so intrusive, that the two force users in the party are very limited in what they can and can't do. Force Power's wont so much be effected, but thier sensory abilities will be.
The Padawan's lightsaber can be used in Farseeing to explain what happened, as kind of a, "Oh...damn" moment to get the rest of the Jedi Master's story.
And I am gonna limit the Dreambeast encounter to an extent...and have the damage all together be treated as non-lethal...so only 1/4 of it sticks after the fight. I just dont have the healing characters in the group to get around it's PK abilities.
I plan on having the party face two encounters of the Cultists, who are more interested in turning the party to thier beliefs than outright fighting, just to have something to watch around the corners for.

Since our party make is is such: 1 Wookie Jedi Knight, 1 Miraluka Force Adept, 1 Mandalorian Elite Trooper, 1 Mandalorian Sniper build (ME!! YAY, the most adorible Pink Mandalorian EVER!), and Astromech Droid, and a Soldier with 3 Followers (and I super duper hate that system now, it's cheesy unless you're playing a solo adventure), the party's predisposition is to fight.
I want to turn it more into a battle of will and wits, to hamstring the parties
Fight Factor.

Okay...gotta put my wig back on...ahem...::coughs back into femme range::
K, so, let me know what everyone thinks!
K, Big hugs!
Michelle
I'm really enjoying reading how different GM's handled the different situations in the adventure. Especially the parts on how to interpret the Jedi Master and/or Draco. Adventures are cool in the way that each GM customizes it to his/her and their player's tastes. If you choose too, you can skip the Squib enounter completely, or leave out the Jedi Master completly or have the characters find his recently killed body. Handle any way you want, it's all there for your interpetation.

Hi folks!

Looking at the room sizes on the academy sublevel 2 map, and the size of the "encounters" (dreambeast for example), I thought the rooms were a little cramped... so I redid the map, preserving the general layout of the original but making the rooms larger.

The map is 50 pixels per square, if you use Maptools or other virtual tabletop.

Feel free to use or ignore...

Midichlorians

Wow, awesome! I'm definitely using that! 

I feel the same way about the tiny map size.  In particular, the 'zombie' fight is going to be a very tight fit (6 PCs + more bad guys than the script calls for in order to make it a challenge). 

Being the greedy GM that I am, I'll ask: by any chance, do you feel up to doing the first sub-level a bit bigger too?

Thanks so much for sharing your map! Nice job!

Being the greedy GM that I am, I'll ask: by any chance, do you feel up to doing the first sub-level a bit bigger too?

Sure why not... in the last game session my players were climbing down the rope in the turbolift and about to enter that level anyways...

Here is a draft of the layout, with the following caveats:

- no more hexagonal shaped map, we could assume they are below the hexagonal level and the Jedis (Jedi Engineers?) (Jedi Engineering Corps?) or whomever built the academy at that level were deep enough to just dig wherever...

- fewer meditation/contemplation rooms

I also aligned the stairs to somewhat match the stairs on my sublevel 2 map, so I no longer have to explain the discrepancy to inquiring players that may have compared dimensions of the two levels (you never know with some players Wink ).

Let me know what you think. Then I can add some fluff and post the final version.

Midichlorians

I use a laptop, external monitor and speakers when gamemastering. One day I was playing with Celestia and put together this small video to introduce my players to the "Blood Brother" encounter as they approach the planet Almas...

The response was overall positive, and this nicely set the mood for the encounter.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bJQgaHBVNw

Midichlorians

Sure why not... in the last game session my players were climbing down the rope in the turbolift and about to enter that level anyways...

Here is a draft of the layout, with the following caveats:

- no more hexagonal shaped map, we could assume they are below the hexagonal level and the Jedis (Jedi Engineers?) (Jedi Engineering Corps?) or whomever built the academy at that level were deep enough to just dig wherever...

- fewer meditation/contemplation rooms

I also aligned the stairs to somewhat match the stairs on my sublevel 2 map, so I no longer have to explain the discrepancy to inquiring players that may have compared dimensions of the two levels (you never know with some players Wink ).

Let me know what you think. Then I can add some fluff and post the final version.

Midichlorians

Nice start!   Thank you for the stairs alignment.  My players DO notice stuff like that. 

A request: Could you make the wall to the west of the library thicker?  And not make the door obvious?  I'm not really sure how to do that, but I want to be able to show the room without it being obvious that there's a door on the west wall.  The PCs are supposed to have to search for it.

Nice job, and thanks for the quick reply!

Edit: Your video is cool too!  I personally won't be able to use it because I'm going with an idea someone posted earlier about going to an Imperial outpost to steal a sensor suite that can deal with the cloud around Almas.  And they'll encounter the B.B. there instead of at Almas.  But neat idea!  I'm sure others will find it useful!

There you go, enjoy!

Notice the smaller power generator (the one they can repair) that I noticed was missing from the original map. I also added the two bronzium busts in the library.

Nice! Stolen!

Thank you very much!  It will get used!

Hey, by the way, what program did you use to make that map?

GIMP
I don't know I ran it as written and my PCs took it down in about 10 rounds, with one PC dropping a force Point to remain alive after I critted him with the dream dragon... It was exciting, life threatening but beatable... Perfect encounter IMO... My (remaining) Jedi PC started to go all out defensive basically daring the beast to stomp him, while the gunslinger range attacked it to death rapid shot on heavy blasters, whittled it down... a full defensive Jedi with acrobatics is darn tough to hit... Whereas the dragon is easy to hit, just tough to damage, with enough time, and a few good damage rolls it got down fairly quick...5-10 HP at a time... ;) Jedi Dade

From a player:
My groups encounter with the Dreambeast didn't go quite as well as his guy's...
We had a group of 4 level 7 characters who had already taken breaks to heal after
being damaged during several of the other fights. After just having fought the
crazed believers (and sustaining injuries), we entered a room and had the Dreambeast
encounter. After barely scratching the creature, it managed to kill all 4 of us quite
easily. Lightning breath, body slams, a double claw+bite combo, and DR 25..
and then GM let us know he was taking it easy on us by not including the "living nightmares".
A "perfect encounter" is not the term I would use... I'd definately agree that the stats
need errated. I'd be interested to know what kind of party he used to take the beast down. 
He mentions a gunslinger, so at least one Prestige class character...
Ok, someone asked for my notes for what I added to the beginning of DoD4, so I thought I'd share it here for anyone who wants to use it.  I took the previously mentioned idea of needing to steal a prototype sensor before going to Almas.  I gave it a personal touch by making it into a trap set by a Force-sensitive twi'lek the group met back at Darga's palace.  The twi'lek (named Myra) has since been taught by Draco in the ways of the Force and has her own lightsaber now.  Granted, it's only been about 6 months since Darga's palace, so she's not very powerful (I basically made her as good as I could without giving her Skill Focus (UtF).  If anybody else wanted to use my notes, I guess you could just make her into another Dark jedi under Draco's wing (like Raik at the end of DoD4). 

The basic idea is that the Imperials know that the PCs are coming (Varth told Draco about them coming, and about the holocron at Almas), and that they are allowing them to board the Imperial station, and even go as far as grabbing the sensor suite they need (because it is large, about 1 meter cubed, and weighs 10 kg, so it will make whoever is carrying it slow to get their weapons ready when the trap is sprung).  Then Myra (or random Dark jedi, if you prefer) attacks them, trying to prove their readiness to Draco.

Anyway, if anybody wants to use what I've got, here it is:

DoD 4: Echoes of the Jedi 

((Show pics of Resurgence, Varth, and Denia))

You have been summoned to a briefing room, where Denia and former Admiral Varth both await.  Varth acknowledges your arrival with a nod of his head, and he says, “Your help to our cause in the past few months has been invaluable, and your dedication exemplary.  Our organization is better off due to your successful missions.  Unfortunately, through no fault of your own, we are no closer to the Sarlacc Project than we were after Bespin.  Now, however, Master Denia believes she may have found a way to further that cause.”

Denia smiles, “Yes, let us hope so.  While studying at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, I learned about holocrons – recording devices into which Jedi stored their wisdom to pass on to future generations.  Some holocrons, such as the prized Tedryn Holocron of Jedi Master Ashka Boda, were tailored toward helping Jedi Masters penetrate the secrets of the Force.  Even beings already trained in the Jedi ways, like myself, would greatly benefit from such a source of learning.”

“I summoned you here because the Force has pulled together threads of knowledge to reveal the location of a holocron similar to the Tedryn of Ashka Boda.  I have found that during my comatose imprisonment, Master Qel-Bertuk attempted to contact me, and left a message for me.  He was trying to form a network of scattered Jedi survivors of Order 66.  Master Qel-Bertuk was once the headmaster at the Almas Academy in the Cularin system.  He hoped to find the the Qornah holocron at the Almas Academy.  I have not received any messages from him as to whether he ever made the journey, or whether he was successful if he did.  During the Clone Wars, an orbital bombardment decimated the Almas Jedi Academy.  Years have passed, so common sense would suggest that any surviving artifacts have since been stolen.  But the Force tells me that the Qornah holocron is still there.”

“The Qornah holocron is crucial to our cause, because I have sensed a link between the Sarlacc Project and the slaves that you rescued above Bespin.  But I have probed the Force tirelessly, and have at last reached my limits.  With the Qornah holocron, however, I might expand my ability to see through the Force and find the answers we seek.  Furthermore, I will be able to pass on the lessons it contains to a future generation of Jedi, thus coming one step closer to restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.” 

Your mission will be to go to the ruins of the Almas Academy and find the Qornah holocron.  However, it will not be as easy as simply jumping to Almas.  Almas is in the Cularin system, where there is a treacherous comet cloud surrounding the entire system.  We, unfortunately, do not have the coordinates for a safe path through the cloud.  But Admiral Varth believes he has a solution.

Varth steps forward, “Yes.  We will need to fit an advanced sensor package to your ship.  One specially designed to chart ever-changing routes through debris fields.  Unfortunately, nothing is available commercially.  But one of my past assignments was at a secret Imperial research station in the nearby system of Cirra.  There is an asteroid belt in that system, and the station is hidden inside.  The station’s specialty was creating prototype sensors, and being located inside an asteroid belt, it was geared heavily toward packages that could plot a safe route through ever-shifting obstacles.”

“Now, I don’t think it would be best to go in with a frontal assault against an Imperial installation, especially when you need something intact from within it.  The Imperials don’t want to advertise their presence in the system, and as such, the station is not supplied via Imperial transports.  Instead, the station receives weekly re-supply via a civilian ship, the Dreary Duty.  It’s a Ghtroc 720.  It receives its goods on the planet Aram, in the same system, the first day of every week.  You will need to take control of the Dreary Duty, and take the ship to the Imperial research station in the asteroid belt.  Posing as the normal crew, you’ll enter the station, acquire a prototype sensor package, and return here, so we can install it onto your ship.  In my opinion, since the crew of the Dreary Duty are working for Imperials, they are every bit as expendable as those formally enlisted.  But Master Denia and Captain Verana have a… more lenient point of view.  They would prefer that you not kill the civilian crew.  In my opinion, this jeopardizes the successful entry to the station.  Alive, they could warn the station of your arrival.  Dead, obviously, they could not.  I leave that decision in your capable hands.”

“Do you have any questions?”

((See p. 7 of DoD module for info on Almas.))

((Aram is a tropical world with higher than average gravity.))
((It is the homeworld of the Aramandi.))
((Aramandi have 4 arms and 4 eyes, and are short (1.25 m) and stout.))

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

The Arrival at Aram

You exit hyperspace and you see the planet Aram below. A light begins blinking on the cockpit console, requesting communication.  ((When PC pushes the button)) you hear Aram’s Message to Spacers: “Welcome to Aram.  You are required to contact spaceport control for landing procedures.  Frequency data is transmitting now.”

((When contacting control)) “The docking fee for your size of vessel is 50 credits per day.  Will you be paying electronically now, or in person with a cred stick when you land?”

As you fly over the landscape, you see that the planet is mostly tropical forest, although vast tracts of forest have been cleared for farming.

((If paying in person)) When you land (in bay 19), you see a 4-eyed, 4-armed being standing at the bay entrance, looking bored.  ((This guy asks for the number of days of stay, then collects days*50.))

((Let the PCs do whatever they want to try to find the Dreary Duty.  The locals know the crew (Niv, Scarlett, Gib, and Watcher), and the Duty is in bay 32.))

((If they go to bay 32)) The Dreary Duty is currently being loaded with cargo by labor droids.  A Sullustan (Niv) is watching the loading process carefully.  Near the loading ramp, a Zeltron, a Human, and a Gungan converse amongst themselves.  ((SHOW PICS))  They all look like they’be been around the block a few times.  But nobody seems to have taken any notice of you yet.

((When they control the Duty, and leave)) It takes a couple hours to reach the asteroid belt.  As you get closer, every now and then you pass a lone asteroid that must have fallen out of the belt’s orbit.  As you are about to pass one of these, a large red ship suddenly comes out of hiding from behind it. 

Sensors check: UseComputer DC10: Sensors indicate that it is a Consular-class cruiser, and its transponder identifies it as the Blood Brother.  Its shields are up, its weapons are powered, and it is on an intercept course with the Dreary Duty.

UseComputer DC15: You also see that it has a turbolaser.

The comm begins flashing. ((If PC answers)) “This be Captain Reddjak.  Power down your ship, and prepare to be boarded.”

((If they don’t comply, go to battle map.))

As you approach the asteroid belt, you receive a communication: “Dreary Duty, you are cleared for approach.  Follow the transmitted waypoints.”

As you follow the waypoints, you see that you are being taken on a relatively clear path through the asteroid belt.  Given the random movement of the asteroids, you suspect that this path will no longer be as safe to take even as much as 5 minutes from now.  After only a short flight, you see the station.  It is small for an independent station, with its width being only about 5 times the length of your ship. Your sensors detect only 2 quad cannons (like the Falcon) for its defense.  The cannons fire every so often, breaking up any of the larger asteroids that approach the station.  You can see smaller asteroids bounce off of its shields.

As you enter the hangar, which you see is empty ((show MAP)), the comm crackles, “Crew of the Dreary Duty: as always, exit your ship and wait in the lounge while we unload the cargo.  You will be notified when you are permitted to return to your ship.”

((Myra waits until the PCs leave the hangar, then she deploys herself and her troops in a semi-circle around the entrance.))

((If PCs enter the turbolift)) There are four levels, and you are on the third level. (( Don’t Read: The controls to levels 1 and 4 are locked out by the control room.  Only the controls to levels 2 and 3 are functioning.))

((If PCs go down to the manufacturing level (level 2)))  You exit the turbolift into some kind of lab/manufacturing area.  There are all sorts of bits of electronics in the lab area, and tools stations make up the manufacturing area.  Two crates are stacked near the turbolift door.  You don’t see a single person in the entire area.

((Each crate contains a prototype sensor packed in foam, and each weighs 10 kg.))

When you enter the hangar, you see a dozen stormtroopers with blasters pointed at you.  Behind them, there are 2 officers, a stormtrooper with blue trim on his armor, and seemingly incompatible with the rest of the environment, a purple female Twi’lek dressed in black leather armed with a red lightsaber.  Aayla and Fuf recognize her as the dancer that refused to leave Darga’s palace. She is glaring at Aayla.  “Draco said you’d be here.  Remember me -- Myra?  I know I remember you.  I remember the look of pity you gave me back at Darga’s palace.  I am no longer powerless.  I swore to myself that I would kill you for destroying my life.  And now I have you.”

One of the officers speaks up: “You are hereby under arrest –“, but Myra interrupts him.  “No.  None of that nonsense.  Kill them all.  But leave the Twi’lek for me.”  (((Note: my party has a Twi'lek that Myra particularly hated.)))

((When leaving the hangar)) As you leave the hangar, the 2 quad cannons open fire on you. (Go to combat map.)

Every round, Pilot check DC 15.  Failure = asteroid collision (8d6 damage).

((When arriving back at the Resurgence)) While the Resurgence’s tech crews install the sensor package, Master Denia enters the hangar. “Congratulations on completing the preliminary portion of the mission.  Now, prepare yourselves for the true objective: finding the Qornah holocron.  I don’t know what you will find when you reach the Almas Academy, but I sense that it will be your most difficult challenge yet.  Thank you again for undertaking this mission, and may the Force be with you.”

(Have PCs take care of anything they need to do before leaving.)

Here are the stats and tactics used for the NPCs in my notes above.

Myra      CL6
Twi'lek Scoundrel 1 / Jedi 5
FP: 3   DP: 1    DSP: 14
Init: +11      Perc: +10
Lang: Basic, Ryl, Huttese
Ref: 21 (18), Fort 19, Will 19
HP: 53     Thresh: 19
Speed: 6
Lightsaber +6 (2d8+5) or
Lightsaber +8 (3d8+5) vs. Flat-Footed opponent
BAB: +5
Special Actions: Deflect, Block, Redirect Shot, Feint, Re-roll Deception
Force Powers known: (UtF +10) M.O. (2), Force Grip
STR:12 DEX:16 CON:10 INT:10 WIS:14 CHA:14
Talents: Sneak Attack, Deflect, Block, Redirect Shot
Feats: WP (Lightsabers, Simple Weapons, Pistols), Point Blank Shot, Force Sensitivity, Force Training, Skill Focus (Deception), Cunning Strike, Skill Training (UtF)
Skills: Acro +11, Init +12, Perception +10, Deception +15, UtF +10

Myra's tactics: Use M.O. and Grip, taking advantage of the Officers giving her extra turns via Trust.  Use Feint (re-rolling Deception as needed) to take advantage of Cunning Strike and Sneak Attack.

((I've misplaced the specific stats for the elite stormtrooper that is in the Myra encounter.  Basically, he had Harm's Way so he could absorb shots that are intended for the Imperial Officers.  The Imperial Officers use Inspire Confidence to begin the fight, then use Trust to give Myra extra actions every round.))

------------------------------------------

Crew of the Dreary Duty:

(GM Note:  The idea is for all 4 to gang up on the biggest threat.  If Gib and Niv both hit him, it is likely he'll never get to use a standard action the rest of the fight.  Once he's down, go on to the next guy, etc.     Also, if the PCs decide to try to take the Dreary Duty while in space, Niv is the captain (but mans the ship's gun), Scarlett is the pilot.  Use a standard Gtroc 720 freighter's stats if it comes to a fight.  Crew's background:  They were once successful, basically some fringe adventurer types.  But they lost everything they had while gambling with a Hutt.  Now, just to make ends meet, they are forced to do these weekly milk runs for the Imperial station.)

Niv Niem    CL8   (the captian of the ship)
Sullustan Scoundrel 6 / Scout 1 / Gunslinger 1
FP: 2   DP: 0   DSP: 3
Init: +15     Perc: +10
Lang: Basic, Sullustan, Huttese
Ref: 27 (22), Fort 18, Will 21
HP: 40    Thresh: 18
Heavy Blaster Pistol (+1 attack): +13 (3d8+4) or
Heavy Blaster Pistol (+1 attack): +16 (4d8+5) when Aiming on board a Starship
BAB: +6
Attack Options: Careful Shot, Dead Eye, Debilitating Shot, PBS
Special Actions: Evasion
STR:13 DEX:20 CON:9 INT:12 WIS:12 CHA:10
Talents: Spacehound, Starship Raider, Fortune's Favor, Evasion, Debilitating Shot
Feats: WP (Pistols, Heavy Weapons, Rifles, Simple Weapons), PBS, Quick Draw, Precise Shot, Careful Shot, Dead Eye, Weapon Focus (Pistols)
Skills: Pilot +14, Init +14, Perception +10, Persuation +9, Deception +9 

Niv's tactics: Always aim to use Carful Shot, Dead Eye, and Debilitating Shot.

Gib Rehtorb    CL8
Human Soldier 7 / Elite Soldier 1
FP: 1    DP: 0    DSP: 2
Init: +13    Perc: +9
Lang: Basic
Ref: 25 (21), Fort: 24, Will 19
HP: 95    Thresh: 24
Vibrosword (+2 dmg): +13 (2d8+17) or
Vibrosword (+2 dmg): +17 (3d8+21) w/ Powerful Charge & MightySwing
BAB: +8
Attack Options: Powerful Charge, Mighty Swing, Improved Stunning Strike
STR:18, DEX:18, CON:12, INT:8, WIS:10, CHA:8
Talents: Melee Smash, Stunning Strike, Weapon Spec.(Adv.Melee), Devastating Attack (Adv.Melee), Improved Stunning Strike
Feats: WeapProf(Pistols, AdvMelee, Rifles, Simple Weapons), PBS, Improved Defenses, Weapon Focus (Adv.Melee), Powerful Charge, Mighty Swing
Skills: Init +13, Perception +9, Endurance +10

Gib's tactics: Use Mighty Swing, Charge, and Devastating Attack to cause Improved Stunning Strike to take effect.

Scarlett   CL8
Zeltron Noble 7 / Charlatan 1
FP: 1   DP: 0   DSP: 3
Init: +13    Perc: +9
Lang: Basic, Huttese
Ref: 25 (21), Fort 20, Will 23
HP: 54    Thresh: 25
Blaster Pistol +10 (3d6+4)
BAB: +6
Special Actions: Inspire Confidence, Ignite Fervor, Inspire Zeal, Castigate, Innocuous
Feats: WeapProf(Pistols, SimpleWeaps), Skill Focus (Persuasion, Deception, Pilot), Improved Defenses, Vehicular Combat, Improved Damage Threshold
Skills: Pilot +18, Init +13, Perception +9, Persuasion +18, Deception +18, Gather Info +13

Scarlett's tactics: Inspire Confidence, then Castigate and Innocuous each turn, occasionally attack to use Fervor/Zeal.

'Watcher' CL7
Gungan Scout 7
FP: 1   DP: 0   DSP: 2
Init: +12     Perc: +16
Lang: Basic, Gungan
Ref: 26 (22), Fort 21, Will 21
HP: 73    Thresh: 26
Blaster Pistol +9 (3d6+3) or
Blaster Pistol +9 (4d6+3) w/ Dead Eye
BAB: +5
Attack Options: Dead Eye, PBS
Special Actions: Shake It Off
STR:10, DEX:18, CON:14, INT:6, WIS:16, CHA:6
Talents: Evasion, Acute Senses, Surveillance, Improved Surveillance
Feats: WeapProf(Pistols, Adv.Melee, Rifles, Simp.Wpns), ShakeItOff, Skill Focus (Perception), PBS, Improved Defenses, Precise Shot, Dead Eye, Improved Damage Threshold
Skills: Init +12, Perception +16, Endurance +10

Watcher's tactics: Use Improved Surveillance to buff his party. (May re-roll Perception)

In another thread, I had some questions about this module.  Here are the answers I was able to come up with.  If you addressed them in a different way, feel free to share your solutions!

1) Draco makes his last stand on a natural bridge spanning a chasm.  The module assumes that the PCs will run back through the ruins to get out.  Why?  What's on the other side of the bridge?  What's over there that Draco was going towards?

I plan on having the bridge lead to a tunnel that eventually leads to a sinkhole.  When Draco found this place, he moved his shuttle to this sinkhole.  He is going towards this ship to escape.  If the PCs go that way when the ruins begin to crumble, they can get out much faster.

2) 7A's statement about having recently left the ruins begs a few questions:
   a) Did he only recently lose his legs?  If so, how?
   b) Did he see who it was that made the footprints in the dust?

7A "lived" on the 1st sublevel.  He doesn't know about the stairs down to the 2nd sublevel, and he can't get up the elevator shaft to the main floor.  So he's stuck there.  Every once in a great while, he has seen and heard looters and cult members, but he has always tried to avoid contact with them.  But a couple days ago, he heard the hum of a lightsaber coming from up the elevator shaft.  Thinking that perhaps one of his old masters had returned, he called up the shaft to see who was there.  Suddenly, some invisible force yanked him up to the main floor where he found himself in the midst of Draco's party.  Draco was disappointed that it was "just a droid", and sliced him in half on a whim, and Force-shoved him across the room.  Draco's party then went down the shaft.  Later, the Ugors came to scavenge and saw 7A lying not far from the entrance.  They drug him outside, then saw the PC's ship fly overhead, leading to the argument with the Squibs.

3) If Draco and his cronies had recently gone through the ruins just before the PCs got there, why are all the doors closed and locked?

I think it is completely fine for some of the doors to be sliced open.  As a former Jedi himself, Draco was familiar with temple layouts, and knew where to look for the library.  Therefore, on the first sublevel, only the library door is cut open.  By the time the PCs find this door, they probably already have the power on anyway. 

4) Obviously, Draco found the Qornah holocron in the bust in the library.  But where did he get the Sith holocron from?

I guess it might be reasonable to assume that Draco found the Sith holocron in the secret room off of the library, where the Sith text is found.  That being the case, he has the gatekeeper to guide him through the second sub-level.  So the only door that is cut open down there is the one leading to the archives/pit. 

I've been way overthinking the onramp to this adventure, with the scanners and coordinates. I don't like the idea of getting a free "special" sensor suite, nor am I sure I want to waste too much time with a homebrew sidetrek into getting it.

Stripping it down, I'd just say that the gravity wells and comets in the system require stopping at the edge of the comet cloud to take new and current sensor readings and then crunching them to plot a new path. It normally takes a minute to astrogate - but this takes an hour in which they need to clear their computer's jump memory, which makes them a target for pirates.

The heroes go there because everyone correctly identifies Draco as being linked, and because he's been parked there, away from his ship, for several days (studying) for the first time in a year. Denia, for some reason, gets a better read on him. She understands the threat represented by what he seeks there.