6/17/2014 Feature: "Checking in on the Planeswalkers"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature, "Checking in on the Planeswalkers", which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

If I read correctly, the new information that isn't super vague is:

• Garruk wasn't cured by Avacyn. (Although it was deduced because of D15 advertisting, but now it's confirmed)
  • Eldrazi titans have made a few appearances lately, which may mean they have managed to escape Zendikar and gone to the Blind Eternities.
  • Koth survived.

There's also a curious bit that hints Ugin may not be dead and may be actually contacting Sarkhan.

Also, what's with that Thalia / Liliana / Helvault exploding art? A future Revoke Existence promo or something? It seems weird that they'd comission art for an important story moment and NOT show it during that block's release.

I thoroughly enjoyed this article. I always try to follow the planewalkers' stories using the multiverse tab on your site, but it's rarely updated. As for the comment above me, let's not forget that Ugin is also contacting Sarkhan Vol Can't wait for Khans of Tarkir to see where it goes and it sounds like we have a 'Return to Zendikar' to look forward to!

Here's another thank-you for a concise summary - I follow the story enough to know who everyone is, but some of the details were relatively new to me.  And yes, I look forward to the return to Zendikar that looks increasingly likely.

Thanks for the summary.  Although I read Daily MTG, I don't always follow all the supplemental products.  The good news is that it seems I haven't missed too much, which means the Daily MTG team has done a good job keeping us on top of what's going on in the storyline.

Awesome column idea. The advent of planeswalkers both as cards and central characters enriched Magic's appeal. The alignment between Creative and R&D however, created opened-ended storylines and questions. My impression is that this was done intentionally to provide Wizards with creative material for future sets.

Have you read Ishmael? "Teacher seeks pupil, must have an earnest desire to save the world."

Wonder how the Phrexia, Eldrazi, and Bolas will be stopped. Perhaps an massive alliance of planeswalkers? That may seem like a nice battle

I am Blue/White

I really hope we see a battle between any two of Bolas, the Eldrazi, and Phyrexia.

Not every story has to have a sympathetic hero. Bolas in particular would be a fascinating 'hero' if he was forced to act against a bigger threat to the multiverse out of self-interest. Especially if it was one he had unleashed in a previous scheme that has backfired.

Return to Zendikar will be nice but I'm also surprised at the ammount of hinting to a future Return to Theros, considering we haven't even left it yet. Elspeth and Xenagos possibly returning as Returned, or Returned Planeswalkers. The only walker they didn't leave ambiguous was Venser. Sorry buddy, you're dead. Likely for good.

There should really be an online encyclopedia of all the story and character information that is kept up to date.

Dough Beyer's, "cool story, bro". Worth the read, it spans a large arc of real world time.