6/2/2014 MM: "Two Truths and a Lie"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Enchantment Creatures as dreams is a much more flavorful concept than Enchantment Creatures as being summoned-by-gods.  My only concern would have been it drifting a little too close to Lorwyn.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Too bad you didn't go with the fighting against your dreams story. It would've been so much more compelling. The second I heard you were doing Gods I was like: "I really hope this isn't going to devolve into a 'Gods vs the World' story".

 

I mean, almost every block now is the same exact story, just with different actors. It's getting kind of stale.

 I'm using enchant creatures to suggest which dinosaur bones might have started various earth mythological creatures from various cultures

 

Achilles gift of immortality which does not return until the end of turn

 

 

So I guess you still got your planeswalking villain, though, right? ;)

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed


Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Awesome article, very fun! I REALLY like the idea of progressing through different time periods and think that other memes can be explored in Magic. It doesn't have to be just Eastern mythology (Kamigawa block and others) and typical fantasy (pretty much every block). I like that in Innistrad you explored American Horror and in Theros Greek Gods. But what about other themes? Prehistoric theme? Wild West theme? Medieval Europe? Modern/Future/Technological era? I know that you said previously that you didn't want Magic to mimic real life too closely, but now you've set that precedent with Theros. Not every theme is going to be viable, but I agree that exploring other themes will keep Magic from getting stale. One of the reasons why TV shows are cancelled isn't because of a lack of a popular following, but because sometimes the writers run out of things to write about, and every episode ends up being the same....

>Every episode is the same

my friend got his rare order of werewolves

  his highlander werewolf beat down my vertical inspire  and heroic decks in steady growing furousity

but I was willing to keep playing against it just to see all the different cards in it

 

I  like the idea of a set that progresses through time

though i might handle that through casting cost

  early game epoch 1-2

  mid-game epoch 3-4

 late game epoch 5+

so that time progresses during a game

 

the dinosaurs existed any many epochs

dimetrodons aren't dinosaurs and existed completely before them

sauropods mostly did not exist when the tyranosaurus was around

the smilodon existed long after the dinosaurs

 

we've found bones of them are put those together in museums

 

 not sure I want a prehistoric set that seperate  all these details by epoch

 


size matters is a major appeal of dinosaurs

Amarsir wrote:

Enchantment Creatures as dreams is a much more flavorful concept than Enchantment Creatures as being summoned-by-gods.  My only concern would have been it drifting a little too close to Lorwyn.


I basically agree with this idea, but how would the creative come through differently? Several of the Enchantment Creatures in Theros block came very close to that line. Archetype of Imagination springs to mind. I will admit that I was mostly fine with Enchantment [blahs] as Thing of the GODS!!

 

I guess my question is yes, dreamstuff is much more flavorfull than of-the-gods, but what effect would that background choice have on names, art, and flavor text and would it really feel susbstantially different?

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

While the dream idea isn't horrible, and I agree that too many sets lately have had the same "epic war for the plane" plot, I'm glad Creative reined the story in a bit. Too many weird twists kind of distract from what people are actually excited to see, and ultimately make two different camps equally unhappy instead of one camp really happy. After Rise of the Eldrazi an Avacyn Restored -- both of which had almost nothing to do with the world and mechanics set up in the first two sets of their blocks -- I'm glad they're starting to demand more focus.

I thought Charybdis did make it into Born of the Gods, as Vortex Elemental.

I really liked this article. It was fun to read, and because it was segmented so nicely it didn't feel as long as some of the "many small stories" articles. The game could probably have been slightly more difficult; after MaRo trivia and puzzles, this seemed fairly tame. But that's probably unavoidable. Half the fun of the "two truths and a lie" game that I'm used to is making is kind of risque or edgy, which is hard in a MtG column

I am looking forward to a dimentional war. Phyrexians, Eldrazi, and Evil Planeswalkers VS the Good guys and a legion brought together by them. I think the story is epic enough that it could become a 2 year, six set Super Block. And it can be done in true comic book fashion, so that no side reaches total victory.

 

 

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Regarding the evolution block, why not just reverse it? Start with a super futuristic world with something causing time to regress (Or something along those lines, except with more than 30 seconds of thought put into it ) and end on the prehistoric block. The only pitfall I can think of would be that you'd have to make the main conflict something other than "Will we be able to stop this devolution that we're totally not going to be able to stop?" aka New Phyrexia Syndrome. Maybe something like Earthbound or Chrono Trigger or a reverse Samurai Jack. Hell, if you want to be really meta, you could have the first set have all the keywords/mechanics, then as the set goes on reduce the number of keywords/mechanics, but expand on what they do (Which admittedly has a very good chance of being a terrible idea, but might be interesting if handled properly).

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Sign In to post comments