5/13/2014 Feature: "Decklist for Modern Event Deck"

53 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature, "Decklist for Modern Event Deck", which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Not a terrible list. Dissappointed that there's no Marsh Flats or Godless Shrines. Thoughtsieze is also missing.

Also no bitterblossom. Disappointing list.

Ugh, you guys are really bad at making Event Decks and From the Vault-like setlist products.

Not really that dissapointing, maybe it'll sell for close to MSRP now, instead of ridiculously high retail prices.  

This list is very dissapointing. Granted that you get $75 worth of cards, there are exactly 5 relevant cards here those being the 2 inquisition and 3 paths to exile, both of which are uncommon. The key-selling-point rares of elspeth and sword see very fringe play and aren't nearly as important as including the 4th path and the 4 inquisition (given that no thoughtseizes were included) would be. There isn't even a 4th sculler, do you remember the last time someone only wanted to draw 1 in a game?

Terrible deck list at a terrible price. Your going to get players who buy this and expect to win every game because of the price they paid then there going to complain. 

Wow, what a bunch of whiners. When I first heard about the Modern Event Deck, I thought it was going to be awful. But you guys surprised me, good job Wizards. One person says there's 5 relevant cards, but then goes on to say there's not a 4th Sculler, meaning Sculler is relevant, bring the count to 8. What about Lingering Souls? That brings the count to 8. Not to mention the Vault, Windbrisk Heights, and Isolated Chapel. Spectral Procession and Intangible Virtue are mandatory in a WB token deck. Honor of the Pure is great in any white weenie deck. And I haven't even got to the sideboardOmg we want 4 Thoughtseizes! Well too bad, go pick up a playset for $60 (almost the cost of this deck, let's stop living in fantasy land guys) Good job Wizards! Now if we can talk that price down to the 50-60 range, it'd be better, but I can always try to bargain with my local dealer

Qu79 wrote:

Terrible deck list at a terrible price. Your going to get players who buy this and expect to win every game because of the price they paid then there going to complain. 

Compared to a Jund/Affinity/Birthing Pod/Splinter Twin deck that costs a couple hundred?

Beyond dissapointed.

It is so sad Wizard lost the oportunity to give a good product for a good price. If someone compare the exiler deck from MTGO which contains 3 Karakas, 3 Stoneforge and 4 Ether Vial which is sold for 30 bucks then will see this is a great miss.  Won't buy it, will keep my money for your next product. 

Qu79 wrote:

I'm not sure you understand the purpose of Event Decks.  It's designed so people can be competitive at local FNMs.  This deck can easily put up a good showing there.  And the price?  The lands by themselves are worth more than the retail price of this thing.  If anyone was expecting a $400 deck for just $75, I'd suggest learning to manage your expectations.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

This deck is exactly what I expected from WotC.  It seems to be a list that was based on creativity and might be considered fun to play at the kitchen table level. It will be purchased for its pieces and never for any level of competitive play.

The most disappointing aspect of this deck is that this was the EXPECTED disappointing result.

WocT created a deck and they purposely avoided every card that deserved a single slot in this deck.  You unban Bitterblossom and it's no where to be seen.  Dark Confidant is a staple in this type of deck and It's not there.  With the equipment you've provided, you could have even reprinted Stoneforge Mystic. As a one of in the deck, I'm sure you could have let people purchase the deck and played the deck "as is" with no issue.  It was done before and it worked great.

You should have done so much more with this amazing opportunity.

I'm sorry but I'm disappointed in it. Sure you get about 70 in card value but if someone is going to spend that much for a "semi" constructed deck at least put 1 card that will retain it's value.

I am really upset at the fact that a godless shrine, marsh flat, or Bitterblossom are not is the list. 

At least one of those three would have been nice.

Sorry WOTC but I will not be purchasing this and I know other friends of mine won't be as well. 

iPadMTG wrote:

This deck is exactly what I expected from WotC.  It seems to be a list that was based on creativity and might be considered fun to play at the kitchen table level. It will be purchased for its pieces and never for any level of competitive play.

The most disappointing aspect of this deck is that this was the EXPECTED disappointing result.

WocT created a deck and they purposely avoided every card that deserved a single slot in this deck.  You unban Bitterblossom and it's no where to be seen.  Dark Confidant is a staple in this type of deck and It's not there.  With the equipment you've provided, you could have even reprinted Stoneforge Mystic. As a one of in the deck, I'm sure you could have let people purchase the deck and played the deck "as is" with no issue.  It was done before and it worked great.

iPadMTG wrote:

even reprinted Stoneforge Mystic

What? You know Stoneforge is banned right? Also, there's one piece of equipment.

Meh, I can't say I'm dissapointed, because I already knew it was gonna be this terrible. Not gonna spend my money on this. Seriously, Caves of Kolios? No Thoughtseize? No Marsh Flats? and don't give that, well we didn't want to print it without the other 4 being reprinted, you guys printed Verdant Catacombs in an Event deck before. Well now I can spend my money on something else. I know me and my friends won't be buying this. Heck, probably no one in the area is gonna buy this, Modern is a very powerful format, no overpirced ready to play deck is gonna break in and win some matches aganst anyone. You guys seriously blew it. With the exception of Inquisition and maybe windbrisk, every other piece which might relevant to the format, is so readily available from all the printings they've already had, that I don't think anyone will actually consider buying this just to round up the last missing slots of their deck.

Would have been happy with 2 Fetid Heath over 4 Caves of Koilos and 4 Phantom General over 4 Honor of the Pure. Drop the Sword for 1 bitterblossom, Sorin (Lord), or additional Elspeth. Never expected this deck to be competitive, but did expect it to be worth MRSP and have good senergy. Still wondering why they pulled out Hero of bladehold as well...

your all moaning. Am i the only person who really wants this? It may be expensive but considering i only got into magic since Return to ravnica (which as you will know means i do not have any old cards like you guys do) this means i do not and cannot take part in modern events. Well i could but i would be seriously screwed over. That and the fact that a modern masters booster is £13 a pack (which is crazy!) i'd much prefer to buy this than spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds trying to make my way through MTG back catalogue of thousands of cards. Most of which are then bumped up by people like you. "Oh thought sieze is amazing!!" = Next time i go to the shop thoughtsieze is now £20 a card! CRAZY!

Gingimaru wrote:

your all moaning. Am i the only person who really wants this? It may be expensive but considering i only got into magic since Return to ravnica (which as you will know means i do not have any old cards like you guys do) this means i do not and cannot take part in modern events. Well i could but i would be seriously screwed over. That and the fact that a modern masters booster is £13 a pack (which is crazy!) i'd much prefer to buy this than spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds trying to make my way through MTG back catalogue of thousands of cards. Most of which are then bumped up by people like you. "Oh thought sieze is amazing!!" = Next time i go to the shop thoughtsieze is now £20 a card! CRAZY!

Exactly. Then they complain when you don't throw extra/easy-to-aquire Thoughtseizes their way. If that was the case, the vendors would mark this up to $150. Some people don't understand simple economics like supply and demand. I've been playing a long time and I remember a preconstructed deck from Kamigawa marked up to $25-$35 at every card store because it had a single copy of Umezawa's Jitte.

JesusKong wrote:

Wow, what a bunch of whiners. When I first heard about the Modern Event Deck, I thought it was going to be awful. But you guys surprised me, good job Wizards. One person says there's 5 relevant cards, but then goes on to say there's not a 4th Sculler, meaning Sculler is relevant, bring the count to 8. What about Lingering Souls? That brings the count to 8. Not to mention the Vault, Windbrisk Heights, and Isolated Chapel. Spectral Procession and Intangible Virtue are mandatory in a WB token deck. Honor of the Pure is great in any white weenie deck. And I haven't even got to the sideboardOmg we want 4 Thoughtseizes! Well too bad, go pick up a playset for $60 (almost the cost of this deck, let's stop living in fantasy land guys) Good job Wizards! Now if we can talk that price down to the 50-60 range, it'd be better, but I can always try to bargain with my local dealer

You call us whiners and then admit yourself that the product is overpriced.  Great job.

The whole overstated myth is that MTG players are a bunch of whiners, who would complain if you slipped a fifty in a booster pack.  Not true.  WotC just makes consistently dissapointing decisions.

Deathology wrote:

Would have been happy with 2 Fetid Heath over 4 Caves of Koilos and 4 Phantom General over 4 Honor of the Pure. Drop the Sword for 1 bitterblossom, Sorin (Lord), or additional Elspeth. Never expected this deck to be competitive, but did expect it to be worth MRSP and have good senergy. Still wondering why they pulled out Hero of bladehold as well...

Phantom general is terrible, why?

Also, hero was probably dropped because it never sees any play in modern, even marginally.

monolith94 wrote:

Deathology wrote:

Phantom general is terrible, why?

Also, hero was probably dropped because it never sees any play in modern, even marginally.

Ya, Phantom General is horrible, but couldn't think of another cheap card that would effect all tokens (assuming Bitterblossom or Sorin was thrown in.) And what were they thinking with the Shrine of Loyal Legion? Either way, I'm pulling the pin on a ratchet bomb and calling it a day.

I can understand the reason why they dont just slap some dark confidents and sorins in etc etc. Because if they did, dude to the price of some of the cards, the deck would be £150+. That and everyone enjoys magic in different ways. And trying to build a deck that pleases everyone is impossible. This is just one way to enjoy it.

An event deck is not enjoyed different ways. It is specifically for people that want to be competitive in modern. This decklist is the bare minimum to squeeze some wins out, but I would not be surprised if standard legal RW burn or mono black devotion are better. This deck helps nobody. It doesn't help new players because it is built on one of the worst archetypes in the format. It doesn't help old players because the cards are worth much less than msrp. It doesn't help speculators for the same reason. Annnnnddd it doesn't help wotc because this won't bring more people into modern.

Big failure. 

Squab wrote:

iPadMTG wrote:

iPadMTG wrote:

even reprinted Stoneforge Mystic

What? You know Stoneforge is banned right? Also, there's one piece of equipment.

yes, it's banned, it was in standard too.  But you could purchase the event deck and play with stoneforge.  Also, adding an additional piece of equipment isn't difficult.

JesusKong wrote:

Gingimaru wrote:

Exactly. Then they complain when you don't throw extra/easy-to-aquire Thoughtseizes their way. If that was the case, the vendors would mark this up to $150. Some people don't understand simple economics like supply and demand. I've been playing a long time and I remember a preconstructed deck from Kamigawa marked up to $25-$35 at every card store because it had a single copy of Umezawa's Jitte.

Well regarding supply-and-demand, those Kamigawa precons were sold in sets of 4.  Three were garbage and one had Jitte, so stores had to increase the price on one to cover the cost of the other three.  That's not the case here and if demand exceeded supply they could simply print more of this deck until supply and demand evened out.

Gingimaru, their point is that this deck is supposed to be exactly for someone like you and it won't live up to that expectation. Yes, if you want to play tokens in modern right now it will cost you £200 for 4 bitterblossoms and £80 for 4 Thoughtseize.  That's expensive. But if you pay £50 for this deck and then want to play tokents in modern, it will still cost you £200 for 4 bitterblossoms and £80 for 4 Thoughtseize.  Wizards is claiming that the deck is competitive but the people who play Modern are telling you that it isn't.  It could be fun for kitchen table Modern but don't expect it to do well at an Event (as the title promises).  That's all.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Amarsir wrote:

JesusKong wrote:

Gingimaru wrote:

Well regarding supply-and-demand, those Kamigawa precons were sold in sets of 4.  Three were garbage and one had Jitte, so stores had to increase the price on one to cover the cost of the other three.  That's not the case here and if demand exceeded supply they could simply print more of this deck until supply and demand evened out.

Gingimaru, their point is that this deck is supposed to be exactly for someone like you and it won't live up to that expectation. Yes, if you want to play tokens in modern right now it will cost you £200 for 4 bitterblossoms and £80 for 4 Thoughtseize.  That's expensive. But if you pay £50 for this deck and then want to play tokents in modern, it will still cost you £200 for 4 bitterblossoms and £80 for 4 Thoughtseize.  Wizards is claiming that the deck is competitive but the people who play Modern are telling you that it isn't.  It could be fun for kitchen table Modern but don't expect it to do well at an Event (as the title promises).  That's all.

That's fair enough. From my experience of my local game shop though. People don't trade and people won't help me build a deck (and trying to get deck build help online is impossible) so im on my own when it comes to deck building and I in no way feel confident with my builds. But with no help anywhere I don't feel as though I would be competitive anyway. Based uopn that and how the game shop is i wont be doing events anyway. Dont feel like handing people money to join a "friendly" community that wont help me and will smash me every game because of that fact. Well that and i dont fancy forking out £400 on a decent deck. Ah well I'll just keep playing with my friends and girlfriend and stick to being a casual non-event magic player. Anyone have any idea why the deck is $75 (which is equal to £45) in america but £90 (which is equal to $150) in the UK?

RxPhantom wrote:

Qu79 wrote:

I'm not sure you understand the purpose of Event Decks.  It's designed so people can be competitive at local FNMs.  This deck can easily put up a good showing there.  And the price?  The lands by themselves are worth more than the retail price of this thing.  If anyone was expecting a $400 deck for just $75, I'd suggest learning to manage your expectations.

i understand pefectly well and as for managing my expectations i expect nothing less from wizards. As for putting up a good showing i suggest you take a trip out to your local FNM and see how hard this deck is going to be smashed in a modern game.

no thanks

NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

No Money NO Ticket NO card Covers

Bitterblossom is not played in WB Tokens decks. You can see here the WB Tokens decks played on Magic Online, and none of them use Bitterblossom.

Consider the last BW tokens that got to Top 8 in modern: below is the decklist (Got this from TCG Player deck search)

4 Blade Splicer
3 Hero of Bladehold

Creatures [7]

1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Planeswalkers [4]

2 Brave the Elements
1 Dismember
1 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Honor of the Pure
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Lingering Souls
4 Midnight Haunting
1 Mortify
4 Path to Exile
3 Raise the Alarm

Spells [26]

2 Ghost Quarter
4 Isolated Chapel
11 Plains
4 Swamp
2 Vault of the Archangel

Lands [23]
SIDEBOARD

1 Angelic Destiny
1 Blind Obedience
2 Devout Lightcaster
1 Disenchant
1 Dismember
2 Mirran Crusader
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Rest in Peace
1 Stony Silence
2 Timely Reinforcements

What's that? No Thoughtseize? No Marsh Flats?

I therefore conclude that those that whine about this aren't really modern players but collectors, who are trying to find an overly underpriced deal.

rayanami2 wrote:

Consider the last BW tokens that got to Top 8 in modern: below is the decklist (Got this from TCG Player deck search)

4 Blade Splicer
3 Hero of Bladehold

Creatures [7]

1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Planeswalkers [4]

2 Brave the Elements
1 Dismember
1 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Honor of the Pure
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Lingering Souls
4 Midnight Haunting
1 Mortify
4 Path to Exile
3 Raise the Alarm

Spells [26]

2 Ghost Quarter
4 Isolated Chapel
11 Plains
4 Swamp
2 Vault of the Archangel

Lands [23]
SIDEBOARD

1 Angelic Destiny
1 Blind Obedience
2 Devout Lightcaster
1 Disenchant
1 Dismember
2 Mirran Crusader
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Rest in Peace
1 Stony Silence
2 Timely Reinforcements

I therefore conclude that those that whine about this aren't really modern players but collectors, who are trying to find an overly underpriced deal.

I agree with you 1000%. People whine because its easy to do. As a new player, I can't wait to get all these cards (none of which I really have) and start tinkering with it. What a bunch of F-ing whiners.
paulmcdanielson wrote:
rayanami2 wrote:

4 Blade Splicer
3 Hero of Bladehold

Creatures [7]

1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Planeswalkers [4]

2 Brave the Elements
1 Dismember
1 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Honor of the Pure
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Lingering Souls
4 Midnight Haunting
1 Mortify
4 Path to Exile
3 Raise the Alarm

Spells [26]

2 Ghost Quarter
4 Isolated Chapel
11 Plains
4 Swamp
2 Vault of the Archangel

Lands [23]
SIDEBOARD

1 Angelic Destiny
1 Blind Obedience
2 Devout Lightcaster
1 Disenchant
1 Dismember
2 Mirran Crusader
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Rest in Peace
1 Stony Silence
2 Timely Reinforcements

I agree with you 1000%. People whine because its easy to do. As a new player, I can't wait to get all these cards (none of which I really have) and start tinkering with it. What a bunch of F-ing whiners.
Well said sir!

I wonder, using tcgplayer's price, if anyone can build a better ready to play BW Tokens deck under the budget of, let's say $100, so as not to mess with the market too much?

Can you make one? Whiners? (Has to be complete with lands and sideboards)

Nigh impossible? I rest my case. You whiners aren't really players but collectors who are mad because they couldn't take advantage of this release,

rayanami2 wrote:

4 Blade Splicer
3 Hero of Bladehold

Creatures [7]

1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Planeswalkers [4]

2 Brave the Elements
1 Dismember
1 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Honor of the Pure
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Lingering Souls
4 Midnight Haunting
1 Mortify
4 Path to Exile
3 Raise the Alarm

Spells [26]

2 Ghost Quarter
4 Isolated Chapel
11 Plains
4 Swamp
2 Vault of the Archangel

Lands [23]
SIDEBOARD

1 Angelic Destiny
1 Blind Obedience
2 Devout Lightcaster
1 Disenchant
1 Dismember
2 Mirran Crusader
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Rest in Peace
1 Stony Silence
2 Timely Reinforcements

That list also has 4 walkers and is more playable. I could go trade my extra standard stuff right now and put that even deck together. Then I get the pleasure of losing to affinity and karn, sound like a hell of a deal.

Qu79 wrote:

RxPhantom wrote:

Qu79 wrote:

i understand pefectly well and as for managing my expectations i expect nothing less from wizards. As for putting up a good showing i suggest you take a trip out to your local FNM and see how hard this deck is going to be smashed in a modern game.

It will not be smashed every time at a local FNM.  Contrary to what you may think, not every FNM player has full playsets of every staple.  Of course this deck would get stomped at a PTQ or other high level event, but the distinction between those and FNM is important.  Further, it was never marketed as some sort of auto-win deck. 

It also bears repeating that the lands alone are worth $86.  I'd have to question the literacy or intelligence of anyone who says this isn't worth its MSRP. 

Having said all of that, and knowing that you can't please everyone, one freakin' Marsh Flats would have been nice.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Such idiots. The list is fine. For the people who expected a 400 dollar list, what is wrong with you? No they aren't gonna put Dark Confident in. Thats a 100 dollar card. 

Was disappointed not to see a single Fetch land in this list but I'm not complaining that there will be more copies of Elspeth and Sword of FoF running around the singles market. I've never seen an event deck that looked competitive but I have definitely seen ones with worthwhile singles inside and this is no exception. City of Brass does seem a little out of place though IMO. I don't know why you would need that much fixing in a 2 color deck...

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Thanks fir the decklists, those who posted. Not playing Modern myself I was assuming earlier comments about deck requirements were accurate.  Apparently not, which is good.

That said, this:

MachineAge wrote:

No they aren't gonna put Dark Confident in. Thats a 100 dollar card. 

is circular logic. Dark Confidant costs $100 because they aren't reprinting it and they aren't reprinting it because it costs $100.

Wizards is not beholden to the secondary market. On the contrary, they've claimed to be independent of it numerous times in their history specifically so they can't be accused of gambling when they sell random packs.  So they ban, unban, print, or stop printing whatever they want, whenever they want. If they would like new Modern players to have access to Dark Confidant they could put any number in the deck, choose whatever price they like, and print until stores are able to keep them in stock.  They chose not to.  That's their prerogative, but in no way does it mean they can't do it.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Gingimaru wrote:
paulmcdanielson wrote:
rayanami2 wrote:

4 Blade Splicer
3 Hero of Bladehold

Creatures [7]

1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Planeswalkers [4]

2 Brave the Elements
1 Dismember
1 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Honor of the Pure
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Lingering Souls
4 Midnight Haunting
1 Mortify
4 Path to Exile
3 Raise the Alarm

Spells [26]

2 Ghost Quarter
4 Isolated Chapel
11 Plains
4 Swamp
2 Vault of the Archangel

Lands [23]
SIDEBOARD

1 Angelic Destiny
1 Blind Obedience
2 Devout Lightcaster
1 Disenchant
1 Dismember
2 Mirran Crusader
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Rest in Peace
1 Stony Silence
2 Timely Reinforcements

Well said sir!

The deck Wizards printed and the list posted here are not even close to similar.  The purpose of an event deck is to give new players a chance to play and possibly win at FNM.  The event deck is a chance for Wizards to provide cards to new players that they normally can't obtain and (as a possible bonus) to ease some of the pressure off the consumer from the secondary market.

Amarsir wrote:

Thanks fir the decklists, those who posted. Not playing Modern myself I was assuming earlier comments about deck requirements were accurate.  Apparently not, which is good.

That said, this:

MachineAge wrote:

No they aren't gonna put Dark Confident in. Thats a 100 dollar card. 

is circular logic. Dark Confidant costs $100 because they aren't reprinting it and they aren't reprinting it because it costs $100.

Wizards is not beholden to the secondary market. On the contrary, they've claimed to be independent of it numerous times in their history specifically so they can't be accused of gambling when they sell random packs.  So they ban, unban, print, or stop printing whatever they want, whenever they want. If they would like new Modern players to have access to Dark Confidant they could put any number in the deck, choose whatever price they like, and print until stores are able to keep them in stock.  They chose not to.  That's their prerogative, but in no way does it mean they can't do it.

accurate and awesome.

The individual parts cost $30-40 on MTGO. Won't be buying there for sure.

Sign In to post comments