5/5/2014 MM: "Journey to the Center of the Set, Part 2"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I would honestly read design stories about every card in every set. I love these articles.

I like also his slip of the tongue/fingers - "When we got to Journey into Nyx, we were trying to find a way to create a feel that the denizens of the world were banning together to fight against the gods."

You just can't bear to say "Banding (Any creatures with banding, and up to one without, can attack in a band. Bands are blocked as a group. If any creatures with banding you control are blocking or being blocked by a creature, you divide that creature's combat damage, not its controller, among any of the creatures it's being blocked by or is blocking.)."

Say it.  SAY IT!!!

I always come on these boards with dread. So nice to see two amazingly positive and funny comments right up top. Way to go guys!

Enjoyed the design stories, but really enjoyed the surprise Monty Python reference.

"Renowned Weaver is a nod to the story of Arachne. For those unfamiliar with the story, she was a great weaver. Unfortunately, she was a little too proud and boastful. Athena took offense and challenged her to a weaving contest. After Athena won, Arachne hung herself. Taking pity on the woman, Athena brought her back to life but turned her into a spider. And that is why spiders spin webs."

Look, I'm as much a fan of the flavor of this block as the next guy, and I like that Design went out of their way to research some of this stuff (Ethan Fleischer came to my prerelease, nice dude), but this oversimplification honestly bugs the hell out of me:

The original story of Arachne was that, yes, she was boastful about her renowned weaving (/rimshot), but she also scoffed and derided the rumors that she had learned her weaving from Athena. Athena did challenge her, and by most accounts actually lost (I will admit, it's never clear who actually won, but the stories go into more detail about Arachne's tapestry subject matter than Athena's). Regardless, at the end of the contest, Athena tore apart Arachne's tapestry in rage and forced the mortal to feel the overwhelming weight of guilt for defying the Gods. It was this guilt that pushed Arachne to commit suicide. Athena only took pity on her because she didn't expect the weaver to kill herself, so brought her back so her and her descendants could continue to weave.

This is also why Athena's demigod children (in both actual mythology and pop-culture) are deathly afraid of spiders.

I write a webcomic. That is all.

I love cards like Knowledge and Power... but this particular one is so painfully expensive though. 5 to cast and then 2 to trigger? That's more than any of the examples in the article or the others (like Rage Extractor which is clearly in the same red-uncommon-build-around-me mould). Scrying is fairly good, but really, is it so good that this card had to cost 5-and-2?

IF a deck is already scrying for nothing and game gets to land 5 with no end detrmined| 2 targeted damage could be a lock

NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

"The Egg" from the musical 1776

alextfish wrote:

I love cards like Knowledge and Power... but this particular one is so painfully expensive though. 5 to cast and then 2 to trigger? That's more than any of the examples in the article or the others (like Rage Extractor which is clearly in the same red-uncommon-build-around-me mould). Scrying is fairly good, but really, is it so good that this card had to cost 5-and-2?

I think the risk of reuseable scry like Crystal Ball, Sigiled Starfish, or even Eyes of the Watcher forced them to add a trigger cost.  5 is certainly overkill though, but as they say they wanted it to be a concept not a viable threat.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Sign In to post comments