5/1/2014 - Command Tower: For Great Revelry

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Command Tower, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com

Somebody please tell me if I am missing something, or if the following does't work how he thinks it works (or perhaps is simply overstatement).    

"Probably the most complicated combo in the submitted deck is Pharika + Life Chisel + Dark Prophecy + Cadaverous Bloom +Grim Guardian + one colored mana = win the game."

I don't see how that wins the game, unless you have approximately 40 creature cards in your graveyard (and the submitted decklist only runs 26), as well as approximately 40 cards left in your library.  As I can figure: you activate Pharika, removing a creature card in your gy.  This gives you a snake (draining opponents for one) to sac to Chisel, which gives you a life to "pay" for the Prophecy trigger.  Prophecy draws you a card to exile via Bloom for 2 mana, one of which you combine with the "one colored mana" which gets you back to having the mana to activate Pharika again, leaving one colored mana left over again and each opponent being down one life.  Ok, that's nice.  But unless I am missing something, as the list is, you have to hope all your opponents have no more life than the number of creatures in your graveyard (as well as you having approximately that number of cards left in your library, which is admittedly less of an issue, generally).  He would at most be able to drain for 26 (or being generous, let's say 30- one for Guardian's self-trigger, and once each for him triggering from playing Pharika, Prophecy, and Bloom).  It totally folds to any amount of lifegain or drawn-out games where nobody has been particularly aggressive (not to mention anyone using exile-based removal on his creatures or graveyard...which in my experience, is pretty common in the format).  

I feel like by "most complicated combo" he means "most situational combo", because getting to that specific game state is far more complicated than simply assembling those 5 cards together.  I know this combo likely isn't his sole route to victory, but I certainly don't see how it instantly "wins the game" outside of a very specific game state.

The God deck needs more Borderposts! (Okay, I guess it'd need a few basic lands in there first.) But Borderposts are lands that count for devotion to two colours! They're great in all sorts of commander decks and casual decks actually. They count as spells for Extort; they become 3/3s with Sydri; they have synergy with a surprising variety of things.

No Courser of Kruphix for General Kruphix?  Why?

*Does Happy Dance!*

My (boom) baby is featured in Command Tower. =DDDDDD

alextfish wrote:

The God deck needs more Borderposts! (Okay, I guess it'd need a few basic lands in there first.) But Borderposts are lands that count for devotion to two colours! They're great in all sorts of commander decks and casual decks actually. They count as spells for Extort; they become 3/3s with Sydri; they have synergy with a surprising variety of things.

I'll consider it, I just don't know if I'll be able to cram enough basics in there to consistently make the first few cost 1 mana and still have the color fixing I need to cast all my heavy color weight stuff.

It's certainly cheaper than getting the filter lands =/  Some of the blessed things are $20+ a pop now...

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.