4/18/2014 TWTW: "The Warden School of Taking Care of Business"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I don't know what version of Spite of Mogis you are looking at but the one I am seeing doesn't care about lands but the number of instants and sorceries in your graveyard.  If it cared about the number of mountains, I might actually use it.  It is Spawn of Thraxes that cares about mountains.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

It's somewhat ironic that he once played green but has veered away from it because green has only gotten better in recent years while blue has gotten worse. The refusal to reprint Counterspell and the refusal to print inexpensive instant speed card draw has changed what it means to be blue. Mystical Teachings was the last time a true draw go strategy has worked. Sphinx's Revelation is fine but mana intensive. It seems as if Wizards is OK with printing decent late game instant speed card draw but not anything in the early game aside from Think Twice, which is playable only because it is an instant, but is otherwise pretty bad. Meanwhile, Green has gotten some pretty powerful sorcery speed card draw, starting with Harmonize, and it has only gotten better. You're not playing top tier instant speed card draw often because it's only sometimes available, and so long as you aren't getting that out of blue you may as well play green. After all, the 5 and 6 mana Garruk's are going to draw you more cards than Tamiyo most of the time. If you add mana acceleration to the equation, it's not bad to be in green.  Green is basically the new blue in terms of card draw except that instead of counters it has mana accel.

Well this guy is a one way ticket to valuetown.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">Who editied this?

erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">Spite of Mogis cares not a jot for the number of basic lands in play.

erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">"Aerdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">t sorcery speed you can play Ghostly Flicker..."

erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">\Shows picture of instant-speed Ghostly flicker

erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">"I fully expect that the first time I see this card in Commander play will be in Rashad Miller's Maelstrom Wanderererdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px"> deck."

erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">\Starts talking about cards you can't play in a Maelstrom Wanderer deck

erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">\Misspells Felhide Spiritbinder. No popup window for you!