4/18/2014 LD: "Building Block: Theros Edition"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

It's interesting how afraid they were of Whip of Erebos given that the only real play it has seen is as a 1x of in Monoblack Devotion. All of the God's enchantments are playable but legendary makes it difficult for them to be 4x. So 3x is really the ceiling. Then given that they are all pretty late game, and mana intensive, most of them only show up as 1x.
Also, it is just me or does this set have several white cards that are profoundly annoying defenders in limited? Anything that is 0/4 for W with an extra ability or 0/5 for 1W with an extra ability counts.

ZursApprentice wrote:
It's interesting how afraid they were of Whip of Erebos given that the only real play it has seen is as a 1x of in Monoblack Devotion. All of the God's enchantments are playable but legendary makes it difficult for them to be 4x. So 3x is really the ceiling. Then given that they are all pretty late game, and mana intensive, most of them only show up as 1x.

Development seems to get locked into the mindset that a certain card is really good and it results in making said card unplayable (if it ever was) while also producing a lot of painful splash damage.

I still haven't gotten over how they thought Burning Vengeance, OF ALL THINGS, would break standard and ruined a fun casual deck while also shutting off many deckbuilding avenues.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

ZursApprentice wrote:
Whip is the a focal piece of the current top deck in block constructed. There is more than standard.

As for the article, I wish more cards and their purpose were shown. I liked it overall but felt very shorted with only a few cards discussed.

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

ZursApprentice wrote:

There's a whole lot of things to criticize mr. S about, but this article spoke of block constructed, not standard.

Reading before criticism, not the other way around.

Block is a hard format to balance, especially in a LSS set structure.  Doing it right does require a lot of answer cards, and I'm not sure yet if they've done this enough or not.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I did read the article before I wrote my comment. Look, I'm not criticizing Mr. Stoddard as I really enjoy reading his articles, otherwise I wouldn't have commented. I'm not even criticizing, I'm just saying that it is interesting. All I'm saying is that it is interesting how they latch onto a certain card as a key card in the metagame, so they go to pretty far measures to fix its power, so then it ends up being just barely a card. Not even a real card, just barely a card. To be fair, I thought it would be a thing too with Deadbridge Chant. I like the comment about Burning Vengeance. I tried to play it in block and it didn't work. I also tried to play it in Heirloom, which for those of you who don't know what that is, it is a PRE that allows you to play cards only below a certain dollar value in the classic format. In that environment, It doesn't even work, even with access to Catalyst Stone. Turns out that 3 mana is a lot for an enchantment with no immediate board impact that requires you to play cards you wouldn't otherwise play in order to make it work. So if 3 mana is too much for a card like that, in an environment with a lot of restrictions, 4 mana probably is too much too.

Well. Allow me to be the voice of dissent. I always find that Sam Stoddard's column gives me a great confidence that things have been worked out *just so* and that all is right in the world. I never got that sense from Latest Developments until he took over, so I think he's doing a splendid job conveying that everything is in order.

He acknowledges past mistakes with an appropriate nod and then tells you how Development is fixing it for the next time around. There are always going to be pet cards that some portion of the player base wishes were higher-powered, but no card is worth a format.

(Edited to add paragraph break for readability.)

If Development creates a format where they have very sure knowledge of what will and won't be good, and what will and won't be played, and what will and won't get out of hand, we would all solve it in a day. A week at the absolute outside. Hence, if they do find something that's getting out of hand, they can't be completely sure that their safeguards against it will be effective unless they make their safeguards very effective.

We didn't get to see the format where Whip of Erebos was very annoying and breaking out all over because they specifically chose to create a format where that would not happen. Therefore, it should come as no surprise whatsoever that Whip of Erebos is not very annoying and breaking out all over.

The above paragraph also applies to Burning Vengeance.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman