4/14/2014 LO: "Lucky Djinn"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Level One, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com

Akward. If it had drawn extra cards during opponents turns, Spirit of the Labyrinth would have fixed it.

Not even that synergy is allowed? All we get is.... Fate Unraveler?

"Further, Goblin Guide only gives up extra lands."

While kinda true, it's also misleading - in the absence of other effects, the Goblin Guide card-draw effect is equivalent to "Next time you draw a card, reveal it. If it's a land, draw an extra card".

If you look at your opponent's hand at the start of their next main phase after attacking them with Goblin Guide, and compare it to what it would have been if Goblin Guide didn't have its ability, then they'll have one more card than they would have - and it's not the "extra" land - they'd have drawn that anyway - it's the other card - the one they drew on their turn - that's the extra card they wouldn't have had - and that is a genuine extra card.

M:tG Rules Advisor

I don't think the comparison to Goblin Guide is apt as they are in different colors, a different spot in the curve, have dissimilar downsides, different abilities, etc. The other thing that is not mentioned is that the opponent revealing the top card of their library is always a downside for HIM. So in Goblin Guide you get a 2/2 hasty in a color that wants that sort of thing and its ability may never give the opponent extra lands but ALWAYS gives you information. That information, along with a quick, undercosted body, is why it is good. A much more apt comparison I think is to Avatar of Discord as they are the same color, the same cmc, close to the same body, and a similar downside. People drooled over Avatar of Discord but it never really saw competitive play, not even in Hellbent decks, which is telling. The one interesting thing about this card is that there is some real tension about whether or not your opponent should let it live. As a 5/5 flying in the early to midgame you'd think probably not. However, then the opponent loses it's extra card per turn. Additionally, there is not a lot that can kill this. Bolt effects don't get it and red probably can't get it without a splash. Doom Blade effects don't get it because it is black. So what we have is a 5/5 flyer, which is difficult to kill, that provides the opponent with an incremental advantage. Personally, I'd like to see it get played with Duskmantle Seer and Herald of Torment in some sort of suicide Bu deck because at that point you are providing the opponent with so many extra cards that they are unlikely to be able to play them all while you are getting quite a bit of beef and can probably protect your team with counters. In any case, I think this card is slightly better than similar cards in the past because of the tension that arises because the opponent only gets the card draw if he allows it to live, but I still think it will be a fringe card as most cards like it generally are. People try to break them but generally cannot.

I can just hear the demon singing to himself.

"Master of the house, doling out the charm. Ready with a handshake and an open palm."

Desecration Demon is a thing still.  Hard to see Master of the Feast being used while that's around.  Mono-Black Devotion won't be sad to try out a more aggressive tack post-rotation, potentially, but this is not a card you'd ever want to have on the board for very long.

I can think of lots of synergies to pull with the thing, though.  Works nicely with Varolz, for example, or Ritual of the Returned, in a sacrifice-themed deck.  It's an enchantment, too, so it has the potential to work with stuff like Kruphix's Insight and constellation cards.

Doesn't this plus notion thief actually net YOU a card every upkeep?

Giving cards to my opponents is against my religion.

Any creature that your opponent might want you to keep is bad news.

Could be powerful if Dark Ritual is reprinted in M15...

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

We’ve removed content from this thread because of a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: http://company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

Remember, a community is a joint effort of all those involved, and while we want intelligent meaningful and productive banter to ensue we also need it to be polite and considerate of others.  

Thank you for your time and support as we continue to try and make a great community for everyone. 

do you what happened to the artical on top ?

Apparently it was removed because JohnS is a pottymouth who violated the code of conduct.  Shame on him.  ;)

Here's the actual link:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/lo/295

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Sign In to post comments