4/10/2014 PR: "Spiteful Finishes"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"The Journey into Nyx Prerelease is just a few weeks away and everyone is salivating over exciting new cards."

Dear Jacob,

If I would be as "pub-mannered" as you are in sentence above, I would be rather spitting with disgust over expression you composed. Go salivate over whatever you want yourself and please keep others from such stupid, bold and improper comments.

Insincerely your "not part of everyone, publically non-salivating" Spirit

Article: "Steam Augury is a great draw spell that hasn't had it's time to shine yet"

I find this statement very questionable. Does WotC really think the card is 'great'?

I think the card always does exactly what you do not want it to do.

In a control deck, you might flip 4 cards and 1 suppreme verdict. You want to clear the board of creatures. No matter the split, you will not get that Sup Verdict.

Now, imagine being a combo deck. It will never draw your combopieces, unless you hit a pair of them (so you can split into both piles).

So, "Fict or Faction" would have been a great name for it. There's the fict that you might get what you want, but you'll always get the faction that is what you don't want, making it the exact opposite of Fact or Fiction.

This card looks to me like it's narrowly tailored to a R/x Sorceries draft strategy.  I'm not sure it has legs in Standard, or even Sealed Deck.

the card seems bad to me as a damage spell, the scry might be the only good thing about it. Low cost doesnt matter much if it wont be useful til turn 5 or 6, its a sorcery and can't target players. I would take flame slash over it for any constructed modern deck.

While there are some cards that are worth building around.  This is not one of them.  I don't see this card really showing up anywhere in the constructed scene.  There's just no reason to play a variable sorcery speed removal spell when RWU has plenty of stronger options.  Case in point:  Detention Sphere, Mizzium Mortars.

The only reason to really play this spell is for the combo kill and even then, the fact of the matter is that if you don't have your reckoner down, it's just not going to be good enough.  You said it yourself "We could afford to play Blasphemous Act in those decks because it was often a fine card on its own."  This card is far from being blaphsemous act level of playable.

Edit:  Actually this reminds me of Harvest Pyre.  Which was actually played on the pro tour as a singleton as part of a reckoner combo in a control deck.  Difference is that harvest pyre is an instant and Spite of Mogis only counts instants and sorceries.  Yes it costs one mana and it doesn't actually eat your graveyard so multiples aren't dead, but the pt deck had LOTS of cheap digging, some self-mill in thought scour, and snapcaster mage.  I just don't think the tools exist in this format to make Spite of Mogis a thing.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

spirit_of_blue wrote:

"The Journey into Nyx Prerelease is just a few weeks away and everyone is salivating over exciting new cards."

Dear Jacob,

If I would be as "pub-mannered" as you are in sentence above, I would be rather spitting with disgust over expression you composed. Go salivate over whatever you want yourself and please keep others from such stupid, bold and improper comments.

Insincerely your "not part of everyone, publically non-salivating" Spirit

"Salivate over" is a common English idiom that means "eagerly anticipating".  I think you're going to have a hard time if you react that way to such innocuous expressions...

This is the kind of card that could have used a rules varification in the article, as it is somewhat confusing.  Is Spite of Mogus itself in the graveyard at the time the damage is calculated?  I believe the answer is yes, but I'm not at all sure of that.

It does not hit the graveyard until after resolution or being countered