4/7/2014 LO: "Symmetry | Symmetrical Effects"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Level One, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com

Several obvious points were missed on this card.

1) If your opp revealed Blood Baron and you revealed a land (in the non-Dissolve scenario), this wouldn't "suck" at all--because you'd probably just choose to put both in the graveyard, thus depriving your opponent of the card. This is a good thing for you, imho. That whole sentence of Mike's was kind of nonsensical to me.

2) Classically, in the "symmetrical effects that aren't really symmetrical" paradigm, you build your deck around your "symmetrical" cards. Some decks *want* to have things in their graveyards, as Invisible Chiropractor would have told you in Standard not too long ago. (Not that this card in particular would have any relevance for those decks, but it demonstrates the point.) Another analogy that comes to mind on this is Gifts Ungiven decks that don't really care which cards go to hand and which to graveyard because they can always get them back from the graveyard anyway.

3) Fatesealing is usually extremely, extremely annoying to an opponent. I mean, the power level is sometimes pretty good, too, but who cares about that when you can always just frustrate your opp to death? It's not exactly the same ability on a couple counts, but that fateseal wasn't even mentioned as a corollary? Odd.

If I can come up with one nonsensical sentence and three missed analogies here just based on having played since ISD, I'm sure there are lots more weird things about this article that old-timers can point out. I don't think I'm particularly good at or well educated in Magic, which is why it's so bewildering that I can find so much crud without even trying.

I swore up and down I was just going to scroll down to the preview card and not actually read anything, knowing I'd only be driven crazy. Argh.

It really took me a while to figure out why you'd think this card was symmetrical. But to beginning players it should look that way probably. You never get any card advantage out of the card after all.

Fun thing is: because of the set-up of this article, I'm now very excited to try out this card that might very well play out to be mediocre in most decks (although it might turn out to be stellar).

So in conclusion: great article, good for both beginning players and advanced players.

IMAGE(http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/jou/aasd7y23m34co/YPivekOpKu_EN.jpg)

I'd draft that

drawing the better card is in your favor

as you may choose

Symetry allows for bigger effects at competative mana costs

NO WAR

The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock. T.S. Eliot. Read by Anthony Hopkins

Got blocked out of twitter I'm told I must provide

a mobile phone number for a text confirmation before my suspension is lifted I do not own a mobile phone

got to a help window and sent this message

my phone number is 858 483 3822 where I will confirm my identity

Sign In to post comments