4/7/2014 Feature: "Mechanics of Journey Into Nyx"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of the feature article "[url=http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/journeyintonyxmechanics]Mechanics of Journey Into Nyx[/url]", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

So.... strive is just basically multikicker?

I will have to say this though Sigiled Starfish is already my favourite card in this block!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

I love the art on Whitewater Naiads. Apparently it's only William Wu's 3rd card (Curse of the Forsaken and Tempt with Discovery are the other two), and in my opinion it's much more successful than the other two, so he must be a quick learner. :-) I like it when the art plays with the zoom level or perspective a little and breaks out of the rather rigid fantasy art mold.

I was really hoping for some constructed playable cards with Inspired.  One more good one would have made that a playable archetype.

Fenix. wrote:

So.... strive is just basically multikicker?

By the rules, multikicker just means "an additional cost you can pay more than once", so in that sense, yes. However, it's a much tighter mechanic than multikicker, since it does the exact same thing on every card it's on. Comet Storm and Strength of the Tajuru work like strive, but none of the other multikicker cards do.

So Tribute's gone? I wonder why it was even introduced if it was only going to show up for one set. Or at least why it showed up in the middle and not the last set.

Constellation seems like a waste of a word, especially since Oath of the Ancient Wood is Constellation without using up text space by having the word 'constellation'.

That was my first thought about constellation as well, but it helps a bit to realise that it is precisely Landfall but for enchantments rather than lands. Landfall was very much a theme of the Zendikar block, and it's certainly more natural to talk about landfall than "all those cards that do something when a land enters the battlefield". 

It is quite annoying to have strive be entirely a subset of multikicker though. I suppose since so many mechanics are "just kicker", it was inevitable that sooner or later we'd have one that was "just multikicker". Replicate was already pretty close, but I can see why they didn't go with a replicate reprint - it doesn't work with heroic.

on an enchantment entrance;

Does anyone else feel that "Strive" is horribly worded?

If I were opening a card with strive, I would assume that the spell is "Any number of creatures gain X etc." and that it could be cast multiple times by paying the Strive cost.

Meaning that the initial activation would let you target say 3 creatures, and then a "Strive" activation would let you target those three again.

Why isn't it worded "Target creature gains X.  Copy this for each time you paid the Strive cost. you may choose different targets." or something like that.?  I get that it would be too close to Multikicker...but I really don't see how this wording is an improvement.  It might be fewer words, but they are not as clear.

The Timmy Manifesto - None have said it better.

I was OK with strive but I'll give it second look

Strive - Beyond the first target, pay

for each other creature this targets.

Those creatures gain +1/+1 and

are industructible to end of turn

It's the "Any Number" part that I think causes confusion...I definitely like the "Those Creatures" wording much better.

I will bet it tests poorly due to confusion.

"any numbers" does noy imply a direct conection to the top line

using "pay" instead of "cost" dropped aditional word for the base "cost"

the equation present is

+ * (N-1)

where N is the number of target

I use

+ * N

where N is the number of additional target

Larcen26 wrote:

Why isn't it worded "Target creature gains X. Copy this for each time you paid the Strive cost. you may choose different targets." or something like that.? I get that it would be too close to Multikicker...but I really don't see how this wording is an improvement. It might be fewer words, but they are not as clear.

That would be replicate. Replicate doesn't work well with heroic. The copies that replicate creates don't trigger heroic, because the copies were not cast.

How would you feel about "One or more target creatures each get +1/+1 and gain indestructible until end of turn."?

PirateAmmo wrote:

Larcen26 wrote:

Why isn't it worded "Target creature gains X. Copy this for each time you paid the Strive cost. you may choose different targets." or something like that.? I get that it would be too close to Multikicker...but I really don't see how this wording is an improvement. It might be fewer words, but they are not as clear.

That would be replicate. Replicate doesn't work well with heroic. The copies that replicate creates don't trigger heroic, because the copies were not cast.

How would you feel about "One or more target creatures each get +1/+1 and gain indestructible until end of turn."?

I dont' see it as much different.

The way I read it is that the spell that is being replicated is everything below the "Strive" cost and text.

What you are writing still feels to me like the spell is that you can choose any number of creatures for the effect, and then the Strive cost allows you to cast it multiple times.

Meaning that casting Ajani's Presence would allow me to give one or more target creatures +1/+1 and indestructible, and then by paying the Strive cost, I could give it ANOTHER +1/+1.

I understand that doubling indestructible doesn't make sense, but I am sure that there is a Strive card they haven't revealed yet that is more basic.

It's not like they can change it now, I just think there are going to be a lot of calls to the judges at the prereleases.

PirateAmmo wrote:

Larcen26 wrote:

sounds good

pay fo reach additiona traget beyound the first

Jamas wrote:

So Tribute's gone? I wonder why it was even introduced if it was only going to show up for one set. Or at least why it showed up in the middle and not the last set.

Yeah, if true this is a bit of a disappointment, but I'm hoping something interesting comes out to replace it when the full cardlist from Journey into Nyx comes out. Don't know how likely that is.