4/2/2014 UR: "Planeswalker's Guide to Journey into Nyx"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

It was surprisingly hard to ID the first two gods' colors from their art. The WB guy looks super Golgari to me, and the UR dude was ambiguous (I guessed green as one of his colors for the trees and his Garruk-like chest; obvs, I was wrong, and I see the blue and the red now). Still, it's kind of fun to see the color pairs flavored differently from their Ravnican counterparts, and I can understand where the art fell afoul in the relatively less defined framework. (It's all very pretty art, mind you, but I'd prefer it to be clearer on color identity, personally.)

I love the designs of the new gods. they all look really cool, especially Athreos. That said you guys have done a horrible job of telling this story through the cards. This is the first article of the series that I've read. I draft every week and thought I had an idea of the set's story from looking at the cards and reading all of the flavour text, nope not even close. That said I really hope that Xenagos wins because the idea of a planeswalker ascending to divinity is just about the coolest thing that you guys have come up with since the eldrazi.

neither god nor mortals can change the stars

only how the lines are drawn between

I move the stars for no one

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

Am I correct when I say we never actually got a breakdown of the Born of the Gods gods?

PW guide to Theros has the initial 5, and this has the latter 5, but I don't see a little blurb about each individual god in Born of the Gods anywhere.

I'm asking because a friend said the fat packs said Phenax was once mortal but tricked his way into godhood, so this mortal becoming a god thing has happened before. I'm curious about that.

cjshrader, they were covered in this one: https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/284

Ah yes, thanks!

Of course now I remember why I didn't really recall that one...it has like 0 information in it, not like the other two. Particularly for Phenax.

[b]the stick of carrion[/c] enchantment artifact

target creature gains islandwalk

target creature gets +1/+1 and is industructable to end of turn

we nay have a cycle of legendary swords on our hands

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz

cjshrader wrote:

Ah yes, thanks!

Of course now I remember why I didn't really recall that one...it has like 0 information in it, not like the other two. Particularly for Phenax.

I agree, the Ally Gods were pretty underserved in that whcih is a shame as I love all the flavor about the personalities that appear in the others.

opposing color gains variance

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz

Yes, these gods look cool, but there's still a flavour issue that's bugging me. 

Why was the original 14 god pantheon (before Xenagos ascended) considered the 'balanced' one when it had no R/G respresentative? Logically, wouldn't it be more balanced with Xenagos now there? It really feels like they're just forcing the idea.

It probably would have been better to say that Xenagos displaced the other god and took over the spot. That, of course, would have taken care of the balance problem, and also would have worked perfectly well as another reason the other gods are pissed at him. 

BTW - can't wait to see the new Ajani! Some have speculated he'll be G/W. But do you think they'll do that so soon after the G/U Kiora?

The gods represent domains, not colors or color pairs. So, in-universe no one would have noticed anything "unbalanced": only areas of life left Abandoned. Which they would probably attribute to the capricious whims of the gods.

I am interested in what happened to the previous RG god (since there apparently used to be one a very long time ago who disappeared).

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

How do you know that there was a R/G god before Xenagos?

no flavor text on the temples to clue us in

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz

Celestite wrote:

How do you know that there was a R/G god before Xenagos?

It may have been Doug Beyer's Tumblr. EDIT: It's apparently possible there was no RG god before Xenagos.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

the colors are the planeswalkers overlay of the worlds

not a world's ballance

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz

But the five colours of mana are the basis of magic (and therefore existence) for every plane in Dominia; even if the mortals on those planes aren't exactly conscious of it, it would still be the basis for their world's existence, no?

And then you do have powerful individuals like the Planeswalkers who are able to see that mana-structure and use it, but you'd also think beings as powerful as Gods (also the Eldrazi) would be able to see it as well, and the Gods would realize that each of them is sort of tied to a type/colour of mana. At least, that would be my inclination. 

But if they say there wasn't a R/G god before, then there wasn't. But still, I think this aspect of things could have been done better. 

Doug's answer doesn't rule out there having *ever* been a RG god previously - just that it's a long time since they were around if there was. Maybe they got bored and went off to do something else more fun instead? I can imagine Xenagos noodling around as a god for a while before departing on a whim because something else came along. 'Do whatever you feel like' seems pretty central to his philosophy - maybe it was to the previous incumbent of that empty temple too?

Incidentally, I love Athreos's character. Patience seems to be a shared characteristic of a lot of the major WB characters (Sorin, Teysa, VishKal?), and also reflects the slow-and-steady nature of many of the WB archetypes.