Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for April 2014

49 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's  Magic Arcana Card of the Day , and  Daily Decks  features for the month of April, 2014.

Holy cow, you featured my deck!

I created this deck 3+ months ago, been streaming it since on my channel (http://www.twitch.tv/Dissolution_of_Eternity)

Several of my viewers took this to GP Richmond, one of them narrowly missing day 2.

As far as I can find, Conley Woods published a first version of this deck in November of 2013 and has been tweaking it ever since and posting updated articles on ChannelFireball and a more recent updated list on TCGPlayer.com back on 3/18 of this year.  While concurrent development is not uncommon, I'd say Conly has been the most visable publisher of the deck and feel the article is remiss in not at least mentioning him in it.  

This just in: Creative hates beards and will ask for art sketches to be revised to remove beards.

Event deck's name: "Wrath of the Mortals"

Snap comments:

Of the cards featured fronting  the event decks, my top three are Dawnbringer Charioteers, Hero's Bane, and Doomwake Giant (drop off from 2 to 3, but I'm thinking you could probably build something to abuse this Giant). Spawn of Thraxes and Scourge of Fleets cost too much for me. I think you could build a fun (for you) mono blue deck that takes advantage of SoF's ETB ability though....

SAT practice question time!

Heliod is to spear as Thassa is to...

a) bow
b) olive fork
c) bident
d) cloak

Did you choose c) bident? WRONG! According to this Arcana, the answer should have been d) cloak.

(The axe is just as bad, but at least it's a weapon, so it's less glaringly obvious.)

Woo they finally let us build decks in DotP. About time!!

No PS3 or 4 listed? Surely misprint.

I can't believe the game won't be available on PS3 either.

Did Microsoft garner an exclusivity deal for the consoles?

Woah! So many unanswered questions here.

The lack of PS3 has to be a mistake ... right? Right?!

"Virtual Booster Packs"? Is Wizard trying to turn DOTP into an actual micropayment-fueled digital CCG?

And, perhaps most importantly ... will it be as buggy and crappy on my iPad as 2014 (which currently just crashes instantly the second I open it)?

PS3, PS4 and/or the PS Vita? Come on?! Answer the freakin question? You had it on past Sony systems, why not this time?

It's common to have exclusivity at the launch of a game with the other console getting its version down the road.  I'll wait for PS as I don't want to pay an extra fee to use multiplayer with my Xbox.

Deeply disappointed in the lack of Playstation 4 support.  Of course, I'm also disappointed that you're even doing Duels 2015; the current generation of consoles and their networks are more than sufficiently powerful to support a full-on MODO client.  (I suppose if you were to turn around and announce Magic Online for PS4 it would reverse both disappointments at once...)

IsgardTheTerrible wrote:

"Virtual Booster Packs"? Is Wizard trying to turn DOTP into an actual micropayment-fueled digital CCG?

It would be amusing if, after years of unsuccessfully trying to turn MODO into anything remotely decent, Stainless Games ended up going "yeah we had a spare weekend so we just built  in the full game for you."

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Are you serious? No ps3 ps4 ver this year.. But you will make a crapbox one ver! Wizards you have finally made ny wife happy. I will no longer support this shitty company till you stop being sell outs to microsoft and Make a ps4 ver of magic 2015. 

Can somebody tell me why Xenagos is featured on the Journey into Nyx fat pack and booster box? 

JIN's theme is opposite-colored gods, so featuring one or more of them would've made a lot more sense.   Keranos looks very cool and would've been my first choice, besides Xenagos had his time in the sun with Born of the Gods, and I for one have had enough of looking at his mug.  Gotta say this definitely reduces my desire to buy JIN fat packs.

-Atogg

Atogg wrote:

Can somebody tell me why Xenagos is featured on the Journey into Nyx fat pack and booster box? 

JIN's theme is opposite-colored gods, so featuring one or more of them would've made a lot more sense.   Keranos looks very cool and would've been my first choice, besides Xenagos had his time in the sun with Born of the Gods, and I for one have had enough of looking at his mug.  Gotta say this definitely reduces my desire to buy JIN fat packs.

-Atogg

I'm guessing because he is the "Big Bad" of the block storyline.

I'm still on the fence on the new card face, I expect I'll have to reserve judgement until I have them in hand before I can nail down my opinion. I'm "meh" on letting people design cards because they make other games, though I admit I am curious to see what the Penny Arcade guys came up with.

(They did the art for a really cool Elspeth shirt, I managed to track one down and I love it.)

Xenagos is a bit of a legend in the series

NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

No Money NO Ticket NO card Covers

Having other game desingers design Magic cards - okay.

Changing the cards' entire design (again) - I guess, I can live with that.

Killing flavour text for "crediting" and with that the cards' magical, fantastical feeling - Cruel, awful, hideous... There are so many words describing it, but they just don't suffice. It doesn't feel like Magic cards at all. The cards should represent the game/story/world itself, not the credits! Those could easily be on some of these "extra inserts" in the boosters like tokens/rules tips/whatever.

Badukay wrote:

Having other game desingers design Magic cards - okay.

Changing the cards' entire design (again) - I guess, I can live with that.

Killing flavour text for "crediting" and with that the cards' magical, fantastical feeling - Cruel, awful, hideous... There are so many words describing it, but they just don't suffice. It doesn't feel like Magic cards at all. The cards should represent the game/story/world itself, not the credits! Those could easily be on some of these "extra inserts" in the boosters like tokens/rules tips/whatever.

I'm mostly with you, except I'm actually okay with the design credit line once in awhile replacing flavor text, but I think this gimmick of having other game designers design Magic cards is ludicrous. Run another GDS if you're really that short of in-house fresh ideas; otherwise, it's just a schlocky, scholocky schtick. #notbuyingM15 (That should totally be a real hashtag. )

designer credits.....what a narcissistic thing to do. Kinda of ruins the flavor, and why is magic name dropping?

This is the Celebrity Apprentice marketing approach.  It's not that they are particularly well-known or have special skill for this.  But each of these people have their little circle of folks who listen to them, and now they'll go talk about M15 in their blogs, podcasts, tweets, conferences, etc.  By including these credits they get more comics like this.

Worth it?  I don't think so either, but it's marketing and "obnoxious" seems to be what they go for.

DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.

So Wizards doesn't like doing vanity cards like Jayemdae Tome any more because the invisible reference to a person outside the game spoils the immersion of the fantasy world they're building, but they will make vanity cards that shatter the fourth wall completely by explicitly naming specific real-world people right in the text box as the card's designer. Got it.

Definitely not a fan. I just hope any of these cards I might actually want to play with get reprinted without that gawdawful designer credit ASAP so I can use them.

My suggestion for next time: promos. Instead of having the designer credit appearing in regular booster pack versions of the card, put it on a promo version of the card instead. Then you can give each designer a bunch of copies of the promo for their own distribution, or work with them to create some sort of cross-promotion. Basically, make the promo available to the people who might be interested in it (people who know who that designer is and follow their work), without forcing it upon the entire Magic customer base. Heck, that way you can even do additional things to make it more awesome for the target audience, like include explicit references to the designer's work in the art (a George Fan-designed zombie could have a safety cone on its head), or even have the designer (or one of the artists they work with) illustrate the card.

Just don't have it showing up in my booster packs, please.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I personally think these outside "famous" designer designed cards are a cool thing.  They are basically the new version of vanity cards.  Which were cool.

I have no problem with the designer credits as they are relatively few in number.  Plenty of room left in the set for flavor text on other cards.

As for Genesis Hydra itself I LOVE this card.  Plant Hydra from the man who made Plants vs Zombies.  It's rampaging over a zombie. Nice touch.  I also think the flower petal collar looks like an adorable scarf and is a hilarious contrast to the big mean venus flytrap-esque hydra monster. =D

I do admit that the spider riding the hydra like a bucking bronco feels a little out of place to me, but it does match up mechanically with the ability, obviously presuming the spider is what you found when you dug into your deck.  Speaking of the ability HOLY CRAP it's awesome!  Genesis Wave riffs are always cool and I can't belive this isn't Mythic????

I want four. =p

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

-"Stone Librande is a Lead designer of diablo 3 and creative director of simcity 5

erdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px">Man, if I were him I would keep that on the DL. Tell people to introduce me as a server at bennigens or something. 

Maybe its just me, but the new font is really jarring. I can't properly focus on the card text. That and I just do not like the designer credit and the holo-stamp. This new card design seems to me like a complete miss. I find it hard to believe that this was the best that they could come up with. I mean its not like they had to have a new frame by M15, they could have waited until they actually had a finished product that looked decent.

Gerry, would it be at all possible for you to start putting a format tag in the titles of your posts? Something like [Standard] or [Modern] at the end of each title? That way, when looking through the archives, we can tell which deck is for which format without having to load the page and check manually. It would just be really convenient if that were possible for you.

Thanks for highlighting some of the coolest new trends in the game for us.

[Daily Deck List, 4/18/2014]

Someday, Simic cards will be used in an actual simic deck. Hopefully...

Starfish day! Hands down best Arcana ever. Trick should just quit and go home now. There's no beating this, ever.

zammm wrote:

So Wizards doesn't like doing vanity cards like Jayemdae Tome any more because the invisible reference to a person outside the game spoils the immersion of the fantasy world they're building, but they will make vanity cards that shatter the fourth wall completely by explicitly naming specific real-world people right in the text box as the card's designer. Got it.

Definitely not a fan. I just hope any of these cards I might actually want to play with get reprinted without that gawdawful designer credit ASAP so I can use them.

My suggestion for next time: promos. Instead of having the designer credit appearing in regular booster pack versions of the card, put it on a promo version of the card instead. Then you can give each designer a bunch of copies of the promo for their own distribution, or work with them to create some sort of cross-promotion. Basically, make the promo available to the people who might be interested in it (people who know who that designer is and follow their work), without forcing it upon the entire Magic customer base. Heck, that way you can even do additional things to make it more awesome for the target audience, like include explicit references to the designer's work in the art (a George Fan-designed zombie could have a safety cone on its head), or even have the designer (or one of the artists they work with) illustrate the card.

Just don't have it showing up in my booster packs, please.

Personally, I think a vanity card here and there would be okay, if it's done in a truly hidden way (i.e. such that someone not in the know would see it as a perfectly reasonable card name). I don't think vanity cards should go entirely unchecked, though. Arabian Nights had five vanity cards, which were rather out of place as the only made-up words. So some sort of policy is good to have, though I do agree it needn't be a complete ban.

And personally, I see the card name as a lot more intrusive than the flavor text. I often don't bother reading flavor text after the first time, while card names are unavoidable. Also, cards already name real-world artists and have a lead-world copyright notice.

Also, I don't think the target audience is that narrow. If someone is a fan of Plants vs. Zombies, that really doesn't give any indication that they'll like playing with Genesis Hydra or vice versa. The card isn't there to fill up someone's George Fan collection. Rather, the existence of those cards is there to make Magic 2015 better. Magic has never had a set with a bunch of guest designs before; it'll set it apart from previous core sets. And in order for this gimmick to work, it needs to be visible.

I'm still on the fence on the new card face, I expect I'll have to reserve judgement until I have them in hand before I can nail down my opinion. I'm "meh" on letting people design cards because they make other games, though I admit I am curious to see what the Penny Arcade guys came up with.

If it's "Summon Dickwolves" I'll go buy a case right now.

pygmyallosaurus wrote:

Maybe its just me, but the new font is really jarring. I can't properly focus on the card text. That and I just do not like the designer credit and the holo-stamp. This new card design seems to me like a complete miss. I find it hard to believe that this was the best that they could come up with. I mean its not like they had to have a new frame by M15, they could have waited until they actually had a finished product that looked decent.

Maybe it was dictated from above...

Meh. If that Gold Pack would come with some cool hat for DOTA2 I might be interested. *hint hint*

I would still like to know why DotP15 won't be on PSN.

Does Daily Decks only run 4 days a week now? This isn't the first time the Monday deck has been absent...

Wait... is there actually a word missing in the flavor text of Renowned Weaver?

I think it is meant to sound a bit archaic - technically correct, but does read a little weird without the "is".

Also, no gold token? No 2/2 blue bird? Seems weird to have cards that make those tokens in the set, but not have the associated tokens. Or is this post just listing the new tokens, and are the others implied?

That hydra token is adorable and the enchantment snake token is gorgeous!

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I like the selection except for the Arcane Spyglass. At least visually, Extraplanar Lens would have fit better for me. (Probably there are others more on-theme, but I'm not too well-versed in Magic history.)

The Tempo Twin deck from today could probably include Delver of Secrets somehow.

Sign In to post comments