3/19/2014 LI: "Setup Cost"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Great article. Good to name this idea. I've always called a high setup cost "needs a lot of help," but that's not very succinct, lol.

I particularly like your pointing out the idea that you kind of spend the rest of the draft a little paranoid after picking a high setup cost card. I've certainly had that gut feeling before without really connecting the idea that if I don't want to feel that way all draft long, I shouldn't take those kinds of cards.

Also, I totally dismissed Aspect of Hydra until I watched Loading Ready Run break triple BNG draft by putting it on Charging Badgers yesterday, lol. So it was fun to see that card featured here.

maybe I'm just bad at Magic, but this doesn't make sense to me.  A 2/2 flyer for 1WW is fantastic, but a 1/1 flyer for 1W is completely unplayable?  When both have the exact same heroic ability?  And in limited, where that 2nd white mana symbol could be an issue?

Thunderous Might is unplayable?  In a red aggro deck it's not uncommon to drop a rakdos cackler on turn 1 and ash zealot on turn 2.  Follow those up with a legion loyalist and put thunderous might on the zealot and you're swinging for 10 on turn 3.  That may not be earth-shattering, but it's certainly playable.  Admittedly in limited it's not as consistent, especially with all the Born of the Gods creatures with only 1 red in their casting cost, but I still wouldn't say it's useless.

having creatures in your graveyard in limitted is not that hard

"born of the gods" has upped the creature eliminate

InDesignKat wrote:

maybe I'm just bad at Magic, but this doesn't make sense to me.  A 2/2 flyer for 1WW is fantastic, but a 1/1 flyer for 1W is completely unplayable?  When both have the exact same heroic ability?  And in limited, where that 2nd white mana symbol could be an issue?

Thunderous Might is unplayable?  In a red aggro deck it's not uncommon to drop a rakdos cackler on turn 1 and ash zealot on turn 2.  Follow those up with a legion loyalist and put thunderous might on the zealot and you're swinging for 10 on turn 3.  That may not be earth-shattering, but it's certainly playable.  Admittedly in limited it's not as consistent, especially with all the Born of the Gods creatures with only 1 red in their casting cost, but I still wouldn't say it's useless.

A 2/2 flyer, by itself, is a 10 turn clock. If you get a few hits in and leave the opponent at 12, if you then play the Wingsteed Rider they have to draw an answer soon, even if you don't have anything which targets it. A 1/1 can be almost completly ignored; to go back to my previous example, if you cast it after having reduced your opponent to 12 with other creatures they can ignore it for an awfully long time (assuming you don't trigger heroic in the mean time). The WW in the cost is annoying, don't get me wrong, but even if you cast it on turn 5 with another 2 drop in your other colour your doing fine most likely.

In regards to your second point, this is limited. Rakdos Cackler and Ash Zealot are not in the set, and even if they were, they're not commons. In BTT, you can't really rely on having enough good 1 drops, and I can't recall any 2 drops which are CC at common.

not a terrible article....but it looks like it took about 15 minutes to come up with the idea, and write the whole thing..

i guess this might be informative for new drafters, but to anyone who's been playing limited for a while it's all very obvious stuff.

Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Winner: dberry02
Pac-Man
Round 1: Fallingman
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
I just love how focused the YMtC community is.
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
really no need to be so bitchy.
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I'm immortalized too as long as no one deletes this post!
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
You're a whole damn city.
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
batman is a jerk in all of my dreams
mafia is fun so play it
Sign In to post comments