Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for March 2014

31 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's  Magic Arcana Card of the Day , and  Daily Decks  features for the month of March, 2014.

Trick, I believe you meant to say "the Faceless Butcher effect". As Oblivion Ring hits any permanent and Banisher Priest does not.

...Why does the FNM Tormented Hero promo have dripping ichor eyes?

Is it just me or does it seem like Clash Packs are just repackaged duel decks?

rabbimoshie wrote:

Is it just me or does it seem like Clash Packs are just repackaged duel decks?

They are dual decks.  However, they likely aren't themed like the duel decks.  They didn't say, but the decks are likely made with cards from the set or block instead of through the history of magic like the duel decks are.

Hopefully the win percentage of the decks is around 50/50 as they claim.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

New Duel Deck is Duel Deck.

ThePlant wrote:

New Duel Deck is Duel Deck.

New duel deck is a way to introduce the core set in a more interesting way than intro packs.

All the Duel Deck/Clash Pack comments I came here to make have been made.

The Clash Pack is an outstanding idea!  I learned most of the game rules by playing the 9th edition 2 player start-up kit, and I've never understood why that didn't come with every core set.

A Duel Deck is not a new player product, it's too complex and realistically unplayable in any format where it's legal. Look at Jace vs Vraska. Counterspells that throw your cards all around the zones, three different Illusion flavours, Instant Speed steal, mill, and to top it all off, Suspend, which effectively adds a new zone to the game. What a new player learns from a Duel Deck is that they don't understand this game and it's no fun to lose to people who know what they're doing. This is a very different product. "Are you new to the game and want to play it with your family? This product not only provides you with that, but if you do enjoy it, you can use the cards to build a deck you can take to that local event." Sold. Double sold. Slightly resentful that this wasn't available when I started playing with my wife. I mean, if it's a Duel Deck because you can Duel with it, we can also label two Intro decks stuck together as a Duel Deck. But the experience and intended audience are completely different. This seems like a really strong idea. If it comes in Black (and that's Dark Garruk on the promo), I will windmill slam it for teaching purposes.

tcg_researcher wrote:

...Why does the FNM Tormented Hero promo have dripping ichor eyes?

He's sad because he just realized that his flesh is imperfect and he must rebuild his body with glorious machinery ... but his plane is stuck in the bronze age.

I really like this Arcana. I don't think the slides have ever been highlighted before, and they're an important part of PT coverage.

I'm particularly fond of the Birthing Pod slide. I started playing just before Splinter Twin rotated out of Standard, so I had always kind of chalked Modern Kiki Pod decks up to "It works kinda like that and I'm not going to figure out exactly how." I missed that slide during coverage, so good to see it here now. However, I do think I understand this much correctly--you can't Pod a Phantasmal Image for a Restoration Angel. Step 3 doesn't work. I'm curious what that's meant to be--Image into 2nd Exarch?? Do those decks even run two copies of any of the pieces you Pod for?? Idk.

I think Noah Bradley's kind of in an experimental phase right now. Things haven't generally been as crisp and well-composed as his first cards for MtG--which, admittedly, were (mostly basic) lands and thus have a different aesthetic, but I think my point stands. Drown in Sorrow is pretty awesome, though, and I hadn't looked at it much before. Ultimately, though, I'd like to see a return to more conventional compositions; chopping the card up into four quarters doesn't do it for me.

lewis440lewis wrote:
I'm particularly fond of the Birthing Pod slide. I started playing just before Splinter Twin rotated out of Standard, so I had always kind of chalked Modern Kiki Pod decks up to "It works kinda like that and I'm not going to figure out exactly how." I missed that slide during coverage, so good to see it here now. However, I do think I understand this much correctly--you can't Pod a Phantasmal Image for a Restoration Angel. Step 3 doesn't work. I'm curious what that's meant to be--Image into 2nd Exarch?? Do those decks even run two copies of any of the pieces you Pod for?? Idk.

The Phantasmal Image is copying Deceiver Exarch (see Step 2), so you can Pod it for a Restoration Angel.

I can just imagine the back-and-forth Jeremy Jarvis had with Dan Scott over Future Sight.

Jeremy: "So we're looking for something that shows a passage of time. Like, we can show the different phases of the moon... "

Dan: "... as a glowing eye in two different ghostly skulls in the sky!"

Jeremy: "... yeah. And we can have a tree that is showing the seasons passing by..."

Dan: "... replacing its leaves with ravens, and place a floating fetus in front of it?" 

Jeremy: "... Sure. Great."

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I like the art.  To me it does a good job of portraying visions of the future, as opposed to passage of time.

But I admit it would have been an interesting pitch.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I really dig the new Future Sight. It reminds me of old abstract cards like Time Walk (in concept; better art quality of course). There hasen't been enough of that kind of art on cards lately.

Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com

New Future Sight is beautiful!  I am blown away by the composition.

It's nice to see that after 20 years of yet another burn spell / yet another kill spell / yet another bear, there's still new and exciting art on M:tG cards.

I don't think that BUG list is really that surprising. Zvi and Flores have always talked about how all of Magic just boils down to cards and mana. There have always been "big mana" control decks that don't have a lot of disruption but just try to ramp and play bigger bombs than its opponents. The listed deck is actually a pretty sweet one, it has a lot to do in the early game. Kiora is the new piece that enables it to go big in the late game. I'm not really a fan of the Primordial, although I can see how its just a cheaper Artisan of Kozilek or a Zombify with a body, which is fine. I think the real engine in the deck, as you stated, is Cyclonic Rift/Reap Intellect. I've always been a fan of Reap Intellect in casual and think it is a lot more powerful than people realize. If you can ever resolve it for more than 6 mana, it's a game changer, ripping the opponent's hands to shreds and sometimes taking out their only real win conditions so I'd probably prefer to see 3 rather than 2. Anyway, it seems viable as a list.

I DIDN'T KNOW KIORA HAD A PACKAGE. (That must be why her hips are turned away in the art, to prevent obscenely showing Kiora's package.)

The BUG deck is basically just bant control that tops off the powerful mix of spells and walkers with reap intellect instead of sphinx's revelation.

Any other questions?

Lol, Jace and Vraska working together. "And who's this merfolk chick?" "Beats me."

Pi Day? Bah! Pi sucks! Save it for June 28: Tau Day. Be part of the change!

I reject the notion of 14.3 being Pi Day. However, this whole month is Pi Month. That won't happen again for another century.

Re: the novella

The post could use a mention of the author.

Most pleasing on the novel, I no longer have the desire to play the game but the novels provide me with a way to still indulge on some of the story lines.

Fascinating verbiage on the history of Æ.  I never knew it was called an "ash".  I also never knew how to type it before...Æ...Æ...Æ...Æ...Æ  =DDDDDD

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

That Chromanticore deck is hilarious and awesome. I love that Sylvan Caryatid + Axebane Guardian + a Forest and a Temple can cast the 'Manti. Delightful.

I want to love the new Divination art so badly, but every time I look at it I kind of twitch over the fact that apparently William Murai doesn't understand how waists and ribcages work.

More importantly... Anger is not a verb.

An Incarnatio, I'll give you that, but not a Verb.

WotC_JohnS wrote:

This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's  Magic Arcana Card of the Day , and  Daily Decks  features for the month of March, 2014.

Urza?

Sign In to post comments