2/26/2014 LI: "Pay Up"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Nice one. I agree on all counts.

Nessian Demolok seems actively bad. If your opponent has anything that you want to destroy you're not getting it. Considering that these kinds of cards are usually pretty good, your 6/6 might not even matter by then. The question is usually going to be whether you want to pay 5 mana for a 3/3 that blows up a land.

It might be pretty good just by those numbers, but I'm not going to be picking it high. Seems unplayable in constructed.

As for the Siren: That guy seems great to me. If you're using it to steal a 2/1 that not only means you're up two cards, it also means your opponent doesn't actually have a threat in play. Finally, a 4/4 flyer is great for 5 mana. This guy is easily my favorite card in the set.

Remind me to pair Oracle of Bones up with Boulderfall. Since nobody is going to be paying tribute, it seems like a nice combo :D

I'm not sure I see one half of Pharagax Giant as being so obviously more powerful than the other. I wish Marshall would have said which side it was that seems so transparently better. This seems like one that's highly dependent on the state of the game to me.

@Drecon84: (too lazy to quote)-- When were you ever unhappy to get an Acidic Slime in limited? I know the lack of deathtouch makes a difference, but it's bigger as a partial compensation, and there are going to be more targets for it than usual in the format. (I've wanted to kill an Aqueous Form more times than I really want to admit to. I keep losing to that stupid one-mana card, lol.)

@lewis It's not that one side is always more powerful than the other, it's that in any particular case, the difference in what you get always makes it clear which you should pick.

lewis440lewis wrote:
@Drecon84: (too lazy to quote)-- When were you ever unhappy to get an Acidic Slime in limited? I know the lack of deathtouch makes a difference, but it's bigger as a partial compensation, and there are going to be more targets for it than usual in the format. (I've wanted to kill an Aqueous Form more times than I really want to admit to. I keep losing to that stupid one-mana card, lol.)
You're missing the point. Acidic Slime is great because it's Naturalize when you need it, and a 2/2 deathtoucher even if you don't need to blow anything up.

Nessian Demolok is a Naturalize exactly when you don't need it. When your opponent has Aqueous Form is precisely when you won't get to blow it up. You'll get a 6/6 for 5 mana instead, which is fine, but not what you needed. And when you need a 6/6? You'll get a 3/3 and blow up a random land or an Aura that's not accomplishing anything any more.

The situations will be rare in which it would be devastating no matter which choice the opponent makes; that's why the cards will never be as great as you hope. It will always be the worse of the two possible options.

Sign In to post comments