2/24/2014 MM: "A La Mode"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Wow, the first Rosewater article in a long while that I don't find all that interesting. Personally, I dislike looking at lists. Since this article is basically MaRo rattling off a list, it's definitely not my thing.

This article was really bad, like you said, just a list with very little detail for each thing, just barebones facts for most. And he even forgot Oveload, whcih is a variant of kicker, and Bestow,  Bloodrush, Bloodthirst, miracles, Landfall. Fail!

I had never seen the new artwork for Eternal Dragon before - it looks terrible compared to the original!  Like some kind of sad puppy with a long tail.

On the plus side, next week is Nuts And Bolts! Yay!

Yeah, my thougt when reading this was "filler."  It's long and may have taken a while to write, but there's not much that could be classified as any kind of insight.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Maro wrote:
We have yet to do any typecycling other than basic land since Veldaken Æthermage was printed, but the rules have been created to allow it.

Homing Sliver

kahtfish wrote:

Maro wrote:
We have yet to do any typecycling other than basic land since Veldaken Æthermage was printed, but the rules have been created to allow it.

Homing Sliver

Its still correct

Someone forgot to give Kodama's Reach errata to make sure it had Splice on to Arcane before running this article.  I fully expect the change to take place soon, though.

Looking forward to splicing it onto Feast of Worms!

Any minute now...

"If one is clearly the correct choice..." This is the problem with Siren of the Fanged Coast! If only it had cost

Aelvr wrote:

"If one is clearly the correct choice..." This is the problem with Siren of the Fanged Coast! If only it had cost

I can see going either way on that one--"Is losing my best creature worth it to stop my opponent from having a 4/4 flier?" can potentially be an interesting question. The problem is much more clear on Snake of the Golden Grove, IMO--I have never yet, not once, had anybody make it a 7/7 unless they had a removal spell in hand that they'd be using on it anyway.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

zammm wrote:

Aelvr wrote:

I can see going either way on that one--"Is losing my best creature worth it to stop my opponent from having a 4/4 flier?" can potentially be an interesting question. The problem is much more clear on Snake of the Golden Grove, IMO--I have never yet, not once, had anybody make it a 7/7 unless they had a removal spell in hand that they'd be using on it anyway.

Suppose your best creature is Wind Drake. If you pay the tribute, they get ahead by 4 power. If you don't pay the tribute, you lose your creature, they gain the creature, and they get a 1/1, so they get ahead by 5 power. If your best creature is better than a Wind Drake (quite possible if you're at the point in the game where they can afford ), the scales are weighted even further towards paying the tribute being a better choice.

It seems that, in most cases, it'll just be an Air Elemental, with the drawback of being only a 1/1 if the opponent doesn't have any even halfway good creatures.

I was hoping after the intro that we'd get an interesting article about how choice is used in Magic, but I guess we already got that in the 2-parter he linked to.Instead, we get a far-too-long list of far-too-short-to-be-interesting blurbs about things that anyone who regularly reads MaRo's articles knew already. Honestly, the most interesting part of this article for me was wondering how he'll grade it when he writes his next Hundred and Counting. I feel liike his recent streak of no dud articles has come to an end. Ah well, they can't all be winners.

Rules Nut Advisor