2/11/14 - ReConstructed: Infinite Aurelias

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Wait, I'm confused. Why does it only "hit for 3" each time (when not going infinite)? Doesn't Aurelia get in, too, *before* the triggers and the sac and all that nonsense? So...Felhide dude + Aurelia = 6? I think I'm missing something here.

lewis440lewis wrote:

Wait, I'm confused. Why does it only "hit for 3" each time (when not going infinite)? Doesn't Aurelia get in, too, *before* the triggers and the sac and all that nonsense? So...Felhide dude + Aurelia = 6? I think I'm missing something here.

Nearly - but not quite. Aurelia untaps, triggering Felhide. Felhide makes a copy of Aurelia... and then you sacrifice the original Aurelia, so it's no longer attacking. This leaves your only creature left attacking as the minotaur.

Hope that clears it up.

Cool note:

If you being blocked by a 3/X, the marking of damage by the minotaur will eventually stack up and kill the blocker. As long as it doesn't die from the block, you'll eventually crack through

Another thing to consider: A single 2/4 or higher can trade with your Spiritbinder on defense, as can any creatures with total power 4 or greater. That's not hard to scrape together when the deck only runs 4 pieces of removal. There's definitely an argument to be made for keeping in the Springleaf Drum for cases where you can't safely attack despite your removal, as well as adding a hardy or evasive threat (Kalonian Hydra is perfect for this, as it gets bigger every attack, so stacking damage is unlikely to kill it

Rules Nut Advisor

i ran this deck at FNM last night. went 2-2(1-2 both times though ;). i had bad draws a couple times, but when it runs, IT RUNS. went infinite a couple times, also had one game go really long, with 3 Felhide and 1 Hydra at 16 already on the board, dropped Aurelia, made 3 copies each Hydra, and swung for 2,048 damage(just counting the hydras). i also left the Fanatics in for some early game hits and won one game just hitting em for 4 each time. 

Im currently trying to tweak the mana curve but this was a super fun deck to play at FNM. the springleaf drum I sideboarded in because i needed to tap the Felhide without swinging or else he would have died, instead he stayed alive to copy the Hydra, so when they swing, the counters double seperately and make them big enough to take out blockers while keeping Felhide alive in case i had Aurelia to drop next turn. so the Springleaf Drum isnt just for mana(often times i had too much mana and not enough stuff to cast), it can also save your butt against big blockers, especially after game 1 when they see what youre gonna do with him