2/5/2014 LI: "Born of the Gods Early Spotlights"

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

The other form of removal that was completely absent from Theros was a tapper, a creature that you could use to repeatedly tap your opponent's creatures. These have been a mainstay in Limited Magic for a while. Why didn't we see any in Theros? While I don't know for certain, I assume the same logic was applied to tappers that was applied to Pacifism effects. If people were going to go on a bestow binge and stack two or three Auras on one creature, they couldn't really let us ruin all that fun with a tapper.

Ephara's Wardenis a card, and it's not like it was completely unlpayable. True it was a sidebord card at best (I only ever boarded it in for RW mirrors) but in the situations where you wanted her, she would do good work. Really if you look at the card it has alot of the same restrictions most of the removal spells in Theros have; it's only effective against creatures that cost less than 4-5 mana.

PureLiquidAwesome wrote:

The other form of removal that was completely absent from Theros was a tapper, a creature that you could use to repeatedly tap your opponent's creatures. These have been a mainstay in Limited Magic for a while. Why didn't we see any in Theros? While I don't know for certain, I assume the same logic was applied to tappers that was applied to Pacifism effects. If people were going to go on a bestow binge and stack two or three Auras on one creature, they couldn't really let us ruin all that fun with a tapper.

Ephara's Wardenis a card, and it's not like it was completely unlpayable. True it was a sidebord card at best (I only ever boarded it in for RW mirrors) but in the situations where you wanted her, she would do good work. Really if you look at the card it has alot of the same restrictions most of the removal spells in Theros have; it's only effective against creatures that cost less than 4-5 mana.

He was pointing out there were no tappers in the set to punish Bestow battleships. A 2/2 bestowed with a 1/1 or vice versa is not that difficult to beat without a tapper.

Besides, now we know why Ephara's Warden is actually in the set: to tap your own inspired creatures.