Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for February 2014

44 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's  Magic Arcana Card of the Day , and  Daily Decks  features for the month of February, 2014.

Fated Retribution

"white, a blank page or canvus

so many posibilities" - Sondheim

Huh. I had no idea masticores were introduced in Mirrodin!

JohnnyComeLately wrote:

Huh. I had no idea masticores were introduced in Mirrodin!

The first Masticore was introduced in Urza's Destiny, predating Mirrodin by a number of years.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Sooo, is it just me, or is the perspective of Chromanticore's wings a little off?

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=378516&type=card

Ooo! Good catch! They are not all on Mirrodin! Masticore was on Dominaria, and molten tail  and Razormane Masticore are on Mirrodin.  It could be theorized that since these two planes are the only ones Masticores are on, and the only ones affected by the Phrexians (as far as I know) that Masticores have something to do with phyrexians? 

FTV: Annihilation... Let's start speculating:

Value Cards (in terms of current price tag): Damnation, Devastation, Guan Yu's 1,000-Li March, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn (It's called Annihilation after all)

Possible other Creatures: Myojin of Cleansing Fire, Myojin of Infinite Rage, Massacre Wurm, Novablast Wurm, Child of Alara, Bane of Progress

And other Stuff: Oblivion Stone, Jokulhaups, Wrath of God (Kinda has to be in there), Decree of Annihilation (Just like there probably is an Eldrazi in the Set, this card should be a no-brainer), Final Judgment, Fracturing Gust, Elspeth Tirel, Black Sun's Zenith

I know there are a lot of other possibilities. What do you think should/will be included?

It's noteworthy, that most cards in the Mass Removal Category don't come with a giant price tag. That's a good thing imo. Maybe stores stop charging ridiculous prices for FTV sets if there aren't too many random money cards in there.

I'd expect to see All Is Dust, Armageddon and either Nevinyrral's Disc or Magus of the Disc. I bet Damnation is in there. Possibly Apocalypse, probably not Apocalypse Chime.

BorosGreengrocer wrote:

I'd expect to see All Is Dust, Armageddon and either Nevinyrral's Disc or Magus of the Disc. I bet Damnation is in there. Possibly Apocalypse, probably not Apocalypse Chime.

I agree about All Is Dust, a money card I missed. I don't think Magus of the Disk will be in there though, since it is kinda bad. Also I'd agree about Nevinyrral's Disk if it hadn't been in FTV Relics.

Spoiled art looks like Plague Wind

alvin_maker wrote:

My guess would be Savage Twister

Or maybe Hurricane, since it only seems to be affecting the birds in the art.

Not all "weapons" have to be mass removal, guys. This doesn't need to be about just one form of creature sweeper or MLD spell. You can have some other brutal cards that were popular because they were, well, Weapons. Skyship Weatherlight was the weapon, for example, and one could argue so was Vindicate.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Why even bother posting the "MSRP" on things like this? No way this gets sold anywhere near that, and a good portion of us are just going to complain later.

Jeleva wrote:

Why even bother posting the "MSRP" on things like this? No way this gets sold anywhere near that, and a good portion of us are just going to complain later.

You'll have to search a bunch of hobby shops in that case. At least 2 of the hobby shops around me always sell at MSRP. One is a HobbyTown USA, which is a national chain. Maybe finding stores like that will help you find these collections at MSRP. 

kahtfish wrote:

Or maybe Hurricane, since it only seems to be affecting the birds in the art.

My guess would be Maelstrom Pulse, or maybe Savage Twister, the artworks just seems to indicate a gold card rather than mono. What do you think?

Art reminds me of sulfuric vortex

alvin_maker wrote:

khatfish wrote:

My guess would be Savage Twister

The first thing that came to my mind was sulfuric vortex. Not sure it qualifies for this set, but I'm not sure many of the cards they've included in past FtV's qualified either(I'm looking at you FtV: Jace and Jank).

Yeah, Damnation was in from the moment I read the name of this FTV, lol.

My first thought for the art was Hurricane, but then I was like, "But it doesn't look very green...or is it red? But it doesn't look very red, either." Idk. Still could be Hurricane. The mage at the center seems to have a vaguely green aesthetic to his garb to me. (Red mages seem to wear less--less clothing is less to catch on fire, I guess, lol.)

I want this thing to just be a box o' solid board wipes. Board wiping might just be my favorite thing to do in the game, lol. It's one of the things that actually pulls me over to EDH rather than just drafting all the time. (The actual draft itself is my favorite thing to do that isn't really part of the game, technically, since it all happens before the die roll ever takes place. Yes, yes, I'm using a particular, narrow definition of "game" here. Get over it.)

Anyway...FTV: All Board Wipes All the Time sounds like an awesome product to me.

A "fun" deck? With so many high priced chase rares?

Ahahah, idiot...

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

From the Vault: Annihilation predictions:

A/B/U: I predict either Armageddon, or nothing. Nevinyrral's Disk has been in the Vault AND Commander already- it IS a perfect fit for the theme, but it's been reprinted twice now. I don't know if any cards can be put in From the Vault: more than once, but Nevinyrral's Disk would maybe be the first.

Arabian Nights/Anitiquities/Legends: Nothing Eligible, I believe.
Ice Age Block: Again, Nothing Eligible.

The Reserved List really isn't affecting this one very much, but of note is that the cards that Destroy All Permanents from "X" expansion all don't qualify, and Apocalypse Chime, for one, would have been hilarious to see but impossible.

Weatherlight Saga
Mirage/Tempest Block/Urza's Saga/: I don't have these memorized, but the likelihood of anything fit for "Annihilation" not being rare...I think again, nothing to see here.
Masques/Invasion Block: Vindicate. They have 15 cards only, and they can't give us too many cards Pre-6th or Pre-8th Edition.

Mirari Story
Odyssey/Onslaught/Mirrodin Block: Decree of Annihilation for sure! They've had Decree of Pain in a few things already, Plague Wind quite possibly.

So: Armageddon, Hurricane, Vindicate, Decree of Annihilation, Plague Wind that's five.

Modern
Kamigawa/Ravnica/Time Spiral Block: Final Judgement for sure! I don't know if there's anything else but I feel I could missing some serious ones. Razia's Purification? Oh! Damnation!
Lorwyn/Shadomoor/Shards of Alara: Violent Ultimatum is distinctly possible. I DON'T think Child of Alara is likely. Novablast Wurm? Who knows? There should be something from L/S but Idkn.

M10-M14
Zendikar/Scars of Mirrodin                All is Dust to represent the Eldrazi and Colorless mana, Lux Cannon
Innistrad/Return to Ravnica
Theros
=====================================================================

Armageddon   (White)      Plague Wind  (X)                  Obliterate (Red!!!)
Hurricane  (Green)           Final Judgement (Exile)       All is Dust (Colorless)
Vindicate   (Target)          Damnation (!!!!) (Black)        Lux Cannon (Artifact)
Decree of Annihilation     Violent Ultimatum (Gold)     *Something Lorwyn
Divine Verdict (Blue)         ???                                     ???

Zeniths and Beacons- plausible?

Damage, Tuck,

Wizards is creative, but on purpose, they try to be as predictable as possible. too.

They will have at least 5 of my 15, I'm sure of it-- there is not a lot that can be said for the "Annihilation" Theme. Artifacts, "The Abyss"-type Vortexes, and Wrath-effects in general are going to be the main content, though they probably will include more Creatures than I did.

That Legacy deck is just asking to get hit with a Blood Moon.  There just must have not been anyone running BM or the counterspell suite kept them from coming in.  Deathrite Shaman can work too if it was out beforehand and lands were in the graveyards.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

animedude3000 wrote:

Jeleva wrote:

You'll have to search a bunch of hobby shops in that case. At least 2 of the hobby shops around me always sell at MSRP. One is a HobbyTown USA, which is a national chain. Maybe finding stores like that will help you find these collections at MSRP. 

I was able to preorder 2 Modern Event decks for MSRP thanks to somehow getting on mailing list for a card shop I'd never heard of, so strange things can happen. I imagine being back stateside soon and not deployed will help out some as well. In the past though, even the local stores I'd frequented marked up the FTV releases.

Very much enjoyed the Manticore article, Ms. Bruenderman, hopefully we'll see more in the future. Also, thanks for the word you put in on the site itself.

Temple of Silence is my current favorite.

Something I noticed looking at today's Arcana (Temple art) is that the art often features two colours strongly - but often the wrong pair:

Abandon: Wx (actually RG)

Deceit: WB (actually UB)

Enlightenment: WU

Malice: BR

Mystery and Plenty: both GWU

Silence: BG (actually WB)

Triumph: UR (actually RW)

Obviously, on the actual card, the pinline gives away the correct colours, but still...

M:tG Rules Advisor

Hm. Interesting to see all these and really focus on them for a change. Taking a closer look, I'm wondering what's up with the Temple of Enlightenment concepting...because nothing says white/blue like burly men unloading heavy cargo from a ship?? Also, Temple of Plenty doesn't seem all that plentiful unless you like om-nom-nom on some cypress trees. (Don't actually do that. Every time I brush up against my apartment complex's cypress trees, my fingers blister for weeks afterward.)

Even Temple of Triumph seems kind of empty. Ironically, Temple of Abandonment--the one that puns on the red/green god having absconded--is the one with the most humanoids by far. Temple of Silence is still by far my favorite. There at least, the emptiness makes sense. I'd never noticed the pile of goods in the lower left corner before, so that was interesting to see in the blown-up version.

The figures are a cool idea. The execution...

The Pop! Vinyl figures are okay. The style isn't really my thing, but they're adorable and match each other well enough (Ajani stands out a bit in having a more detailed face).

The 6-inch figures? Where do I begin? They range from okay to really standing out, and they don't seem to be in proportion with each other. Liliana's head is way bigger than everyone else's, and Garruk seems to have completely different proportions than the rest, including what looks to be the tiniest head of all, outside of what's appropriate for his unique girth. The detail and paint look okay, but the whole set just looks really awkward to me. I don't know if I should be happy or annoyed that they killed off my favorite Planeswalker before coming up with this idea.

Gurrak has very grey skin... Also Nissa is included for some reason.

I'm hoping these Funko figures do well, because I would actually consider buying a 6 inch Sorin and/or Vraska if they're made later.

Megadog wrote:

Gurrak has very grey skin... Also Nissa is included for some reason.

I'm guessing that's supposed to be Garruk, the Veil-Cursed?

DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT

Now that that's out of my system...

The Pop! Vinyl figures do look kind of nice, I can see getting the female 'Walkers and Ajani (major Cat person), but the real stars are the Legacy Collection figures. I'll be wanting to grab all of those, I think.

Please don't make them harder to collect by making variants or vendor exclusive figures.

Megadog wrote:

Also Nissa is included for some reason.

Poor Nissa, nobody likes her...

Why not Tamiyo?

What? No Sorin Markov vinyl toy?

Freedom's just another word for nothing-left-to-lose. - Kris Kristoferson (sung by Janis Joplin)

Jeleva wrote:

Megadog wrote:

Also Nissa is included for some reason.

Poor Nissa, nobody likes her...

Nissa is the best looking figure of the bunch. she just needs a better card, mabe she'll get one in m15.

O.O

niiiiiiiiiice.

I wonder what the "removable accessories" will be?

I wonder if they'll make a version of Chandra with light-up hair. XD

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Sigh... I wish they'd never cancelled the ReSaurus line back in the early 2000s. I would have loved to get a Juzam Djinn and Serra Angel. But then Hasbro gobbled up WotC, and they were going to do their own figures, with Sengir Vampire and Erhnam Djinn (among others). This would also never appear in stores, for whatever reason.

So now there's going to be figures based on the Planeswalkers. They look a lot less interesting than the ones they were going to make so long ago.

Sooo...new Nissa confirmed for an upcoming set, amirite? Maybe one that's not so "PLAY ELVES OR GO HOME".

I guess maybe Funko wants things in groups of 6 for some reason, but the choice of Nissa as the 6th (coulda been Gideon, Sorin, someone else we've seen more recently) seems super suspicious.

Also, LOL Garruk LOL "Don't mind me...I'm just standin' here...totally NOT representing my colors. I let Nissa do that for me these days. Yuuup." You'd think Garruk was the artifact planeswalker from his clothes.

They generally ship in cases of 6. Kinda like booster boxes. 5 square and/or rectangular objects leave a lot of unused space in a package.

But, on the other hand, apparently they have plans for Nissa.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Flyheight wrote:

O.O

niiiiiiiiiice.

I wonder what the "removable accessories" will be?

I wonder if they'll make a version of Chandra with light-up hair. XD

Chandra with goggles she can actually wear!