1/24/2014

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

My feeling is that the set won't impact Standard very much. Except for Eidolon of Countless Battles which seems admittedly powerful enough to see play if the metagame is not too hostile to it, I don't really see the other constructed-playable Bestow cards Sam is talking about. MAYBE Herald of Torment in a black aggressive deck. This is, in my opinion (at first glance, I can very much be wrong), the most low-powered, least impactful set in a good many years. I am under the impression that less than 10 cards will have a true impact, and among those are the 3 scry dual lands, which are nothing special but will end up having the most impact of all just by making those color combinations more solid. There's also some new cirmcumstancially good removal spells for black and red, but they're just more options for the same function, killing guys, they're not especially exciting or archetype defining. I like Brimaz, King of Oreskos a lot, but otherwise, quite the miss for me. No problem, they can't all be stellar.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

this set is observing the mechanic of the game and triggering off action

heroic, inspire

bestow mechanic could hit both if the creature must tap for an ability

NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

MadMageQc wrote:

My feeling is that the set won't impact Standard very much. Except for Eidolon of Countless Battles which seems admittedly powerful enough to see play if the metagame is not too hostile to it, I don't really see the other constructed-playable Bestow cards Sam is talking about. MAYBE Herald of Torment in a black aggressive deck. This is, in my opinion (at first glance, I can very much be wrong), the most low-powered, least impactful set in a good many years. I am under the impression that less than 10 cards will have a true impact, and among those are the 3 scry dual lands, which are nothing special but will end up having the most impact of all just by making those color combinations more solid. There's also some new cirmcumstancially good removal spells for black and red, but they're just more options for the same function, killing guys, they're not especially exciting or archetype defining. I like Brimaz, King of Oreskos a lot, but otherwise, quite the miss for me. No problem, they can't all be stellar.

Yeah, I think the same. This set feels weak. "Eidolon of Countless Battles" won't make it into constructed, certainly not now. There is only so much space for cards in the 3 drop department of a WW deck, and Brimaz, Reckoner and a few others are just better.

What is the really sad part is the small amount of interesting common cards. Today I bought a box of New Phyrexia (an expansion I messed during my hiatus from the game), and boy: That's a set! At least 2 dozend interesting cards, distributed from common to mythic.

So sometimes I wished WotC wasn't all about "conserving design space" in BGN but also tried something interesting - like the things Sam mentioned at the start.

Sign In to post comments