1/24/2014 TD: "Staying the Course"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Animar want!

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

With that phrasing I guarantee people will think playing off the top doesn't count as a land drop.  This is why the phrase "as if it was in your hand" is useful, because it lets you know other limits are still in place.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Amarsir wrote:

With that phrasing I guarantee people will think playing off the top doesn't count as a land drop.  This is why the phrase "as if it was in your hand" is useful, because it lets you know other limits are still in place.

The amount of loops this game jumps through because players don't know X or Y is amazingly large. Of course, the issue is that some players are made to feel stupid when another player takes advantage of more complex rules knowlede, and that right there is the stop for WotC.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)