1/22/2014 UR: "Cowardice of the Hero"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Cool story, bro.

Seriously, I like it.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I like it when a story is not all black and white but has some characters in it that have both good and bad qualities, it makes it much more realistic. So I really liked this story, look forward to reading more of your work!

However I do think there is a slight inconsistency in it; nothing major, just a slight thing but I figured I'd just mention it anyway:  First you say "When I was a little older than eight years my mother remarried." , then you say:  "When I was ten when my mother married him and, at the time, I didn't hate him." , now you could argue that ten is a little older than eight but at that age I don't think that two years counts as 'a little' so I think that first sentence should read ten instead of eight since you mention the age of ten several times in the story.

Haha, I didn't know which column I read and was really confused by the first sentence.

"I hate the man who married my mother." Say what? Oh, uncharted realms. Okay.

Very well written. Deeper than usually I feel. Damn shame a 5/3 Haste for 4 isn't a big deal at all.

PS: also, when I read Cowardice I was thinking of the card, which is an all time favorite of mine. I wanted this to be an article about a functional reprint ;_;

I've been really enjoying the recent Uncharted Realms.  They stand out so sharply in comparison to the light and clearly aimed at young adult books and digital novels we've had in recent years.  The struggles in these Uncharted Realms articles feel "realer," to me, because they're based in human emotions and everyday struggles, even though they're set in a fantastic setting.

Keep up the good work.

This is an amazing Tribute design. It's the first one where the true cost of not paying the tribute is unknown.

3rdTurnAvenger wrote:

Haha, I didn't know which column I read and was really confused by the first sentence.

Very well written. Deeper than usually I feel. Damn shame a 5/3 Haste for 4 isn't a big deal at all.

PS: also, when I read Cowardice I was thinking of the card, which is an all time favorite of mine. I wanted this to be an article about a functional reprint ;_;

Really? Looking at the competition, 5/3 hasters generally come with quite severe drawbacks (most of them die at end of turn).

I mean, when you play this guy, he's either going to trade for something or your opponent's going to take a Lava Axe to the face. And then he's going to trade for something. So they've really got to think hard about paying that tribute cost.

And I would be really, really, hesitant about holding back those +1/+1's. Firstly, even if I do, he's still a mono-red Spike Jester, and if I couldn't deal with a 5/3 this turn, I probably can't deal with a 3/1 much better. And also, he's now carrying the most expensive non-permanent spell you can get your hands on, in whatever colour you like. I mean, in Theros Limited, that's currently Boulderfall, but I'd take a free Boulderfall just before I attack with a 3/1, that seems deece. And in Standard, I'm dropping some seriously scary stuff. Turn 5 Rise of the OH GOD DIDN'T I KILL YOU ALREADY when I've been the beatdown? Yes please tasty.

But what I want for this deck is something from the Fated Cycle, because you'll get the Scry 2 value. If I happen to be holding that single Fated Infatuation I placed in my mono-red deck because I'm the Timmiest Timmy in all of Timmytown, I clone the Oracle and you now have to make the tribute decision all over again. I mean, I can't be holding another ridiculous spell in hand, right? RIGHT? FEAR ME.

Also, the story was awesome. More like this please.

deworde2510 wrote:

3rdTurnAvenger wrote:

Really? Looking at the competition, 5/3 hasters generally come with quite severe drawbacks (most of them die at end of turn).

I mean, when you play this guy, he's either going to trade for something or your opponent's going to take a Lava Axe to the face. And then he's going to trade for something. So they've really got to think hard about paying that tribute cost.

And I would be really, really, hesitant about holding back those +1/+1's. Firstly, even if I do, he's still a mono-red Spike Jester, and if I couldn't deal with a 5/3 this turn, I probably can't deal with a 3/1 much better. And also, he's now carrying the most expensive non-permanent spell you can get your hands on, in whatever colour you like. I mean, in Theros Limited, that's currently Boulderfall, but I'd take a free Boulderfall just before I attack with a 3/1, that seems deece. And in Standard, I'm dropping some seriously scary stuff. Turn 5 Rise of the OH GOD DIDN'T I KILL YOU ALREADY when I've been the beatdown? Yes please tasty.

But what I want for this deck is something from the Fated Cycle, because you'll get the Scry 2 value. If I happen to be holding that single Fated Infatuation I placed in my mono-red deck because I'm the Timmiest Timmy in all of Timmytown, I clone the Oracle and you now have to make the tribute decision all over again. I mean, I can't be holding another ridiculous spell in hand, right? RIGHT? FEAR ME.

Also, the story was awesome. More like this please.

Herein lies the problem. You're contrasting a Lava Axe with a Rise of the Dark Realms. In EDH/Modern, that Axe will be constrasted with Tooth and Nail, Time Stretch, etc. So it's either 4 mana repeatable Axe, or it's the worst thing you can imagine in the game. In a smaller, more tight game, or where the damage potential is equal to you winning the game, either mean death. But early on, or with a full lifetotal, the Axe is better. If the opponent suspects you'll have Rise or one of the actually GOOD Fateds, then he'll take the Axe because that's the better of both worsts.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

I'm actually friends with the author, Matt. The reason he loses in commander all the time is because he uses a sliver deck with every alpha dual land in it, lol. Everyone immediately targets him.

My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.