1/21/2014 SF: "Leave the Sea Food"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"Octopuses"

...sigh.

JohnnyComeLately wrote:

"Octopuses"

...sigh.

Same reaction. But then I reacalled that these are the people whose literary guides eschew the use of "their" for the singular sexless pronoun.

That said, the card looks fun, in that it is an Wash Out variant with some value to it. Faster, or more flexible given its costs, than Cyclonic Rift, but also comparable to Kederkt Leviathan if you;ve got any of the aforementioned critters. Some people like their huge beasties decks. This card is for them

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

JohnnyComeLately wrote:

"Octopuses"

...sigh.

Sorry, what?  

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Amarsir wrote:

JohnnyComeLately wrote:

"Octopuses"

...sigh.

Sorry, what?  

He thinks the spelling is the incorrect plural for "octopus." It is, and it isn't. "Octopuses" and "octopi" are appropriate plurals, when it comes to English at least. The actual plural is "octopus." But don't expect English people to accept that foreign words have plurals that look just like singulars.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

That's what I thought he meant.

"Octopi" is actually the least correct.  "Octopus" stems from Greek, and pluralizing with an "i" is a Latin trait.  In the 1700s the self-appointed experts of the day tried to reform English to Latin structures, which is why we have unnecessary rules like how you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition or split an infinitive.  It was those people who created "octopi" as a word, but it's really just perverse.

"Octopus" and "octopuses" are both reasonale plurals, and if you want to be true to the Greek roots it would be "Octopodes".  But "Octopi" is a silly artifical construct and shouldn't be anyone's first choice.  However, regardless of pluralization we can agree that Magic needs more of them if it's going to be a supported deck type.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Amarsir wrote:

That's what I thought he meant.

"Octopi" is actually the least correct.  "Octopus" stems from Greek, and pluralizing with an "i" is a Latin trait.  In the 1700s the self-appointed experts of the day tried to reform English to Latin structures, which is why we have unnecessary rules like how you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition or split an infinitive.  It was those people who created "octopi" as a word, but it's really just perverse.

"Octopus" and "octopuses" are both reasonale plurals, and if you want to be true to the Greek roots it would be "Octopodes".  But "Octopi" is a silly artifical construct and shouldn't be anyone's first choice.  However, regardless of pluralization we can agree that Magic needs more of them if it's going to be a supported deck type.

Here's a nice discussion on the issue.

Brilliant card for casual players! I love the way Theros is bringing out the elemental, sea monster-loving side of Blue.

My own Quest for Ula's Temple deck uses creature-based scrying as much as possible, to increase the number of times you hit with the Temple. So no Mystic Speculation or Crystal Ball; instead it's time for Information Dealer and Descendant of Soramaro, which also help keep you alive during the early turns. I should probably add Omenspeaker in place of some of the Sage Owl / Augury Owls, as more Wizards helps power up Information Dealer.

alextfish wrote:

My own Quest for Ula's Temple deck uses creature-based scrying as much as possible, to increase the number of times you hit with the Temple. So no Mystic Speculation or Crystal Ball; instead it's time for Information Dealer and Descendant of Soramaro, which also help keep you alive during the early turns. I should probably add Omenspeaker in place of some of the Sage Owl / Augury Owls, as more Wizards helps power up Information Dealer.

Very good idea backed with logic reasons, but I would do alittle misconception and replace one of those two with Ancestral Knowledge for its effectivity.

All in all, it looks like very flavorful theme deck, which kind I like the most.

Poor Colossal Whale. He's all like, >KASPLOOSH< "I'm a badass, play me, blue players!" Then when Theros comes out with its awesome simic cards, it almost looks like he's going to actually be able to see play in some simic sea-monsters deck.

And then Whelming Wave. >WHOOOSH< "Wait, what? No! Augh!"

Edit: Just looked at all the past serpents on the gatherer. Yah, i totally don't want to bounce that Harbor Serpent I'm not running in my deck, but do want to bounce my whales. I know it makes sense for it to refer to serpents and not whales as far as flavor goes, but I guess I hope that Born of the Gods has some good serpents, esp. at the lower end of the curve.

Btw Qilong, English originally did use their as a singular sexless pronoun. It's only cause of a francophile grammarian that we don't use it anymore, so all the "illogical" bits of English are because we tried to be too foreign, not because we ignore them.

Octopuses? Octopi? Octopodes?​   http://boingboing.net/2010/07/27/octopuses-octopi-oct.html

What about fish?

Vianki wrote:

Octopuses? Octopi? Octopodes?​   http://boingboing.net/2010/07/27/octopuses-octopi-oct.html

Guys, it's clearly "Octopussen."

Sign In to post comments