1/17/2014 TD: "Introducing Top Decks"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Brimaz, King of Oreskos has definitely improper mana cost. 3/4 for 3 CMC with 3 positive abilities is too much even for legendary mythic. Wizards, please do not try to spoil funny game of magic like that. Please make fairer cards like making it 3/3 or making it 4 CMC. Please remember how many times in magic history people attended tournament much less because of seeing everywhere literally same unfun decks with little variance. You are making sure that this creature will appear in every deck playing white and again forcing much smaller game variance than if it would be fairer card.

only slightly better than wilt leaf cavalier

spirit_of_blue wrote:

Brimaz, King of Oreskos has definitely improper mana cost. 3/4 for 3 CMC with 3 positive abilities is too much even for legendary mythic. Wizards, please do not try to spoil funny game of magic like that. Please make fairer cards like making it 3/3 or making it 4 CMC. Please remember how many times in magic history people attended tournament much less because of seeing everywhere literally same unfun decks with little variance. You are making sure that this creature will appear in every deck playing white and again forcing much smaller game variance than if it would be fairer card.

I dunno about it being that dominant. It still dies to every Doom Blade variant in standard, Supreme Verdict, Mizzium Mortars, etc

I realize "dies to removal" isn't necessarily an argument, but every deck in standard has a way to remove it.

aquariansword wrote:

only slightly better than wilt leaf cavalier

Yeah, barely. Maybe passingly a minor twinge above the par, though arguably below. Bloody thing ain't even an elf! I almost pegged this as Worst. Card. Ever. Then I noticed it was a Cat, and all was well.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
So, is this an admission that stopping Top Decks was a mistake? And the other Mike Flores project still isnt off the ground.

Great to see LSV writing regular articles! I'm no Spike, and I don't follow tournaments at all, but I've really enjoyed LSV's writing style for the Daily Deck Lists.

The card... I have to say my first reaction was like spirit_of_blue's. A 3/4 with three strong, synergistic abilities, for 3 mana? Seems a bit excessive. The legendary 'drawback' is the closest it comes to an excuse, and... it's not really enough for me.

But if you ignore the moneygrabbing power creep? Yeah, it's an awesome card. 

I like it all, except the name "Brimaz".  

The-D wrote:
So, is this an admission that stopping Top Decks was a mistake? And the other Mike Flores project still isnt off the ground.

I don't have a concept of what they're trying to do.

The automatic Mtgo reporting was neutered so we wouldn't get updated results of the latest online tournaments.

JVL was given a new column reporting results from the latest online tournaments.

Top Decks was cancelled since they didn't need a column about metagame shifts.

LSV is given a rebooted Top Decks column to talk about the latest metagame?

I don't get it, Trick.  What are you trying to accomplish?  What should I as a reader expect that's going to get me loading your site every day?

My kindest guess is that they want an invention column.  Reconstructed as Timmy deckbuilding, From the Lab as Johnny deckbuilding, and Top Decks as Spike deckbuilding.  That would explain why Flores couldn't do it, because his new ideas go to StarCityGames.  But if that's what they're going for, it's certainly unclear.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

EyeballFrog wrote:

spirit_of_blue wrote:

I dunno about it being that dominant. It still dies to every Doom Blade variant in standard, Supreme Verdict, Mizzium Mortars, etc

I realize "dies to removal" isn't necessarily an argument, but every deck in standard has a way to remove it.

Totally Fair Creature (2)(U)

Creature - Sliver (Ultra Mythic Rare)

At the beginning of your upkeep, you win the game.

20/20

Every deck in standard has a way to remove it, so it's fine.

actually, not every deck in standard has a way to remove that. It would need to be 6 mana and a 1/1 to hold water as a rebuttal (but notably, Brimaz does not actually read "win the game" any more than an active thassa)

VDZx wrote:

Totally Fair Creature (2)(U)

Creature - Sliver (Ultra Mythic Rare)

At the beginning of your upkeep, you win the game.

20/20

Every deck in standard has a way to remove it, so it's fine.

Red Deck Wins and Colossal Gruul beg to differ.

Goblin Artisans
a Magic: the Gathering design blog

This is the first time ever that I mention power creep in creatures. This card is imbalanced. A 3/4 body plus vigilance plus free creatures.

broken cards don't do the world champions  any favors in terms of prestige

they won because of broken cards.

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Oh cat's win

cool

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Sign In to post comments