1/13/2014 Feature: "Divine Inspiration"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Devign Inspiration", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

How do you talk about Pain Seer and not mention that it's a variation on Dark Confidant? #Bewildered

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Qilong wrote:

How do you talk about Pain Seer and not mention that it's a variation on Dark Confidant? #Bewildered

Uhhh...

The paragraph right before the card:  "My idea was that a Dark Confidant variant would help out lower-curve decks, but not replace Underworld Connections in a deck that wanted to go bigger with its mana costs."

Iamwinterborn wrote:

Qilong wrote:

Uhhh...

The paragraph right before the card:  "My idea was that a Dark Confidant variant would help out lower-curve decks, but not replace Underworld Connections in a deck that wanted to go bigger with its mana costs."

Derp. I was reading how he was mentioning comparisons to a vanilla common, as if they were ever going to be comparable for what they do in Limited.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Chris Dupuis, if you're reading this, I'm a big fan of your boardgames, and I hope that your style comes through in this set.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I missed when Black got a Grizzly Bears to begin with - I had better start paying better attention to Core Sets .

New Dark Confidant will inspire a new raft of Modern or Legacy combo decks, I expect - any repeatable card draw probably will.  It's only slightly worse than Ad Nauseum, although it's a creature and can block, so in some ways is better.

Black actually got its first Grizzley Bears in Innistrad.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

they look healthy

He specifically mentions "more cards that help you get your own creatures tapped," instead of untapped? Colour me surprised, especially when he mentioned blue is one of the colours that is getting the most Inspiration cards.

Blue plays the role of meta magic.

Cards that deal with the mechanics of the game system and deck.

So new abilities often start in blue.

Jamas wrote:

He specifically mentions "more cards that help you get your own creatures tapped," instead of untapped? Colour me surprised, especially when he mentioned blue is one of the colours that is getting the most Inspiration cards.

I think you'd want more ways to get your inspired creatures tapped so that their abilities can trigger when they untap during your untap step.