12/19/2013 Feature: "UI and Everyone We Know"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of the feature article "UI and Everyone We Know", which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Thank you for this helpful update James.

erdana, sans-serif">You stated that "For this reason you can expect our major UI and UX improvements rolling out later rather than sooner."   erdana, sans-serif">I am sad to hear this (often repeated) message, but I agree that stability and responsiveness are the most important thing.

erdana, sans-serif">I hope one day we can have a client worthy of 2014/2015, and I wish you the best success with that.

And please, if you ever feel that you and your team are under-resourced to provide a client worthy of 2014/2015, please speak up to your managers.  Sometimes managers need to be told by their team "We need more resources".  It is often not the fault of employees that the product does not get delivered in the time or manner that it should, but rather the lack of resources allocated by the company.

erdana, sans-serif">Kind Regards,
Dwarven_Pony

I completely miss the point of this article.

It's not an introduction for Mr. Sooy, there is no biographical or professional history, nor any examples of his previous work.

It;s not informative, there's no detail regarding UI goals, UI team organization or methodology, no historical perspective on MOL UI.

Most of the article seem to be MAGIC artwork and and mention of MAGIC cards.  I don't see the relevancy to MOL UI development. Maybe I missed the jokes?

Turning to google, a half hour searching didn't show many results for Mr. Sooy, I didn't find any credits for any OL TCGs.  I prolly wasn't diligent enough in my searches.

Pretty much the only substantial thing I took away from this article is to not expect much near term UI improvement.

Thank you, Erik.

"Magic Online remains the best digital card game on the planet, and the Wide Beta client is the best expression of that, regardless of aches and pains we've encountered along the way. Why? Simply because it's Magic—the first, longest-running, most successful, and most fun card game every-which-side of the Mississippi."

This line of thinking will be MTGO's downfall.  The fun of the underlying paper game won't matter if technology changes out from under it.  MTGO needs to be brought into the 21st century.

This article was hilariously passive aggressive. Not-so-subtle subtext: "I didn't make this piece of crap, I'm stuck working with what we've got, and I have no idea when I'll actually be able to do anything to improve it, because we're stuck making sure the darn thing works at all first."

I'm beginning to think that having a week's worth of Magic Online articles was NOT something that the Magic Online team wanted to do.  I can just imagine the conversation....

Maro:  You guys are doing a week's worth of articles on the mothership.

Magic Online Team:  Uh, everything we're working on now is classified and the only thing we can really talk about is how last year was a dissapointment and we're trying really hard to make things better.

Maro:  Okay, that sounds great. Don't call us, we're going on vacation.

Okay, I'm sure it didn't really happen like that, but come on.   I love Magic Online and I'm not getting much of anything from these articles. 

GainsBanding wrote:

"Magic Online remains the best digital card game on the planet, and the Wide Beta client is the best expression of that, regardless of aches and pains we've encountered along the way. Why? Simply because it's Magic—the first, longest-running, most successful, and most fun card game every-which-side of the Mississippi."

This line of thinking will be MTGO's downfall.  The fun of the underlying paper game won't matter if technology changes out from under it.  MTGO needs to be brought into the 21st century.

Came on to say this.

Trumpetting the value of MTGO to the converted with such blanket statements is dangerous.

There are so many good digitial games from 2013 with so much more momentum.  I expect the 2014 MTGO review to be similarly in denial, and still treating Duels as part of their aquisitions strategy and not on-going retention.

IsgardTheTerrible wrote:

This article was hilariously passive aggressive. Not-so-subtle subtext: "I didn't make this piece of crap, I'm stuck working with what we've got, and I have no idea when I'll actually be able to do anything to improve it, because we're stuck making sure the darn thing works at all first."

I loved this comment!!  You really hit the nail on the head.

So basically the entire point of this article, buried deep in the middle of an entire page of nothing, is that they aren't going to fix the UI.  Woohoo.  Oh wait, this was exactly the same thing they've done every year for the past 8 or 10 years or so.  Same problem, same justification for not fixing it.

I honestly don't understand.  Anyone can see this program is incredibly outdated and subpar, and has been for years.  It can't possibly be a lack of profitability.  It's just a lack of will.  An incomprehensible one.  It makes no sense that WoTC wouldn't fund what is almost certainly their most profitable enterprise.  And if it isn't a lack of funds, then it must be a lack of competence.

No one can look at the kind of competition MtGO is seeing in Hearthstone and believe that there's any other explanation.