Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for January 2014

96 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic ArcanaCard of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of January, 2014.

I promise to consider caring about the M14 deck packs when WotC starts caring about giving me online multiplayer, considering that I paid for it (having paid the same amount as people who got non-Android versions and hence got online multiplayer).

Let's hope the Modern Event Deck isn't this years Commander's Arsenal, in terms of availability. 

Jeleva wrote:

Let's hope the Modern Event Deck isn't this years Commander's Arsenal, in terms of availability. 

I strongly agree with this sentiment. Commander's Arsenal was ridiculously low in supply, poorly publicized and costed far too much (especially after the secondary market's hyper mark-up).

Also, for $75 MSRP (right, because everyone's going to price it for $150+), the Modern Event Deck must TRULY be good (or I imagine many will be sorely disappointed, myself included).

Other than that, for the love of all that is holy and great about Magic, don't print it by the handful. Limited print runs are one of the most awful things about Magic (even worse than land/mana-screw and flood, and even mythic rarity, combined).

Sincerely & in absolute honesty,

~ Markov.Loremaster

To be honest I am really dissapointed. It is true it will be more or less the same price as the commander arsenal, but thinking from a more logical point of view Wizards is squeezing us too much already:

- Modern Masters was supposed to be less than 7US$. Where i live in Spain the cheapest u could get was 7.5€ (around 10 US$)

- This new deck will be 75US$ which will probably mean around 100€ in Europe. That is what a booster box can easily cost in preorder.

The main difference is that if Wizards can print 576 cards (1 booster box) for that price and get a huge benefit. I agree it is a company who has to earn money but i believe one day this is going to be too much. What will be the next? Legacy event deck?  300US$?

I have to admit that i would love to get these things, but being unemployed it is hard to save that much money for a deck. Which probably the "box" probided will be a lousy one like in the standard event decks. I am really sceptical about this and concerned about the geek community pockets.

Mutavault was worth at least 20-30 US$ b4 reprinting. Ok, now it has skyrocket but people could get it at a much cheaper price during M14 limited and u could open them in booster boxes. Same happened with Thoughtseize. Then just reprint staples in future sets bit by bit. If u have to reprint a Tarmo then do it in a large set as a RARE, not mythic rare. Since the modern masters release this format has doubled. What are the consequences? that instead of 200 people wanting Tarmo, fetches, vendillion, confidants, etc. Now u have 400 people wanting them. And the price of those cards have gone up on the secondary market.

I believe this is an overpriced product and Wizards is getting lots of money coz people will still buy them (just if the deck contains 2 fetches,  1 dark confidant and 57 lands). Will they realease the Jund deck (worth of 1000US$ or probably more)?

Dunno, I am very doubtful about this. I mean no disrespect in this message. If anything sounded too harsh is because i think players are being pushed too much.

Their concept of best cards for modern includes KAmigawa's Dragons. So I wouldn't expect too much from this deck. And anyways, it would cost  A LOT of money. And it would be hard to find. Wizard doesn't consider us European players, and that's a shame. 

A) Oh look. More high priced crap to promote a garbage format.

B) Oh look. More limited release cards you'll never use or see in hand of players who actually need them.

C) Oh look. The secondary marketters are going ot make even more money WotC printed just for them.

D) Hey Wizards. GFY.

E) All of the above.

CrownedClown wrote:

Their concept of best cards for modern includes KAmigawa's Dragons. So I wouldn't expect too much from this deck. And anyways, it would cost  A LOT of money. And it would be hard to find. Wizard doesn't consider us European players, and that's a shame. 

You realize that the Kamigawa dragons were in the set for Limited, right?  Because that was the most fun way to play Modern Masters (as someone who played every chance it was offered at the LGS and went to Vegas for the GP).  For Limited, the dragons were fantastic. This wasn't a set to increase the number of Modern bombs in circulation, it was a set to increase interest in the format overall (which it did) and bring down the price for a vast majority of cards (which it did).  Only goyf and Bob really saw an increase in price, and one could argue that Modern Masters actually slowed the increase from what it might have been.  Stuff like Manamorphose, Path to Exile, Vial, Ravager, and Kitchen Finks are much easier to find now.

Ertai87 wrote:

I promise to consider caring about the M14 deck packs when WotC starts caring about giving me online multiplayer, considering that I paid for it (having paid the same amount as people who got non-Android versions and hence got online multiplayer).

Okay, I can't let this one pass. You paid a fraction of the amount for the platform knowing that part of the deal for that reduced price was a significant increase in the number of hardware vendors, which inevitably increases development costs, and are now complaining that because you paid the same amount for the software as someone who paid a platform premium, you don't get as much.

So effectively you expect more from them and are willing to pay less money. And for this incentive, you promise to think about maybe buying something.

Facepalm.

Glad to see so much support for modern. My only worry is that the format's popularity will increase to the point where the good cards' prices will increase accordingly.

_flatline_ wrote:

CrownedClown wrote:

You realize that the Kamigawa dragons were in the set for Limited, right?  Because that was the most fun way to play Modern Masters (as someone who played every chance it was offered at the LGS and went to Vegas for the GP).  For Limited, the dragons were fantastic. This wasn't a set to increase the number of Modern bombs in circulation, it was a set to increase interest in the format overall (which it did) and bring down the price for a vast majority of cards (which it did).  Only goyf and Bob really saw an increase in price, and one could argue that Modern Masters actually slowed the increase from what it might have been.  Stuff like Manamorphose, Path to Exile, Vial, Ravager, and Kitchen Finks are much easier to find now.

No, cards like the Kamigawa dragons, Doubling Season, Divinity of Pride and Stonehewer Giant were there to make the set more appealing to the casual crowd.

Now that you've seen Mogis, perhaps you'll remember Arissa and her act of bravery to save a young Iroan.

How is throwing a javelin at a fleeing creature brave. Not not heroic... but brave?

I just can't wait to see how well Mogis fits into my Minotaur deck.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Tokobot wrote:

Glad to see so much support for modern. My only worry is that the format's popularity will increase to the point where the good cards' prices will increase accordingly.

Fortunately, there's no reserved list for Modern. I get that MM was released at lower levels because they were worried about Chronicles II: Reserved List Boogaloo, but as long as we don't have a repeat of that clusterfuffle from a vocal minor... oh... teh internetz... ah well, at least we'll get to see which rares R&D wants to reprint in 2025.

But seriously, now it's proven that MM is actually good at getting people to play Modern, rather than just being a draftable FTV, everything I've seen suggests that they'll be releasing it regularly, and probably in higher quantities. After all, there's no benefit to Wizards in small quantities of highly marked up retail product, that's actually *worse* for them. The explanation they gave meets more of the facts than the paranoid fant... sorry, I mean insane consp... shall we say "fan theories"?

And it's not like Legacy, where reprinting some cards would literally mean someone lost thousands of dollars. (Yes, I know that some of the most popular Modern cards went up in value, but (A) a whole bunch of others dropped, and (B) we're talking about cards that were always going to spike in demand with Modern's popularity, unless Wizards lost their minds and papered the walls of stores with Tarmogoyfs. Also, we're not talking about Black Lotus money here, that's not even in the same bookstore, let alone the same page.)

I really hope that wizards learned something from the fiasco that was commanders arsenal and not do the modern event deck in limited quantity.  Without knowing any of the cards in it based on their recent track record it seems like a bad idea.

My prediction is that it will have mostly moderatly priced cards and then 1 or 2 cards (mabe jace or a pair of eldrazi) that werent in mm in it. This along with a low print run (which they will likely do) and the fact it wont be sold in big stores at msrp (walmart, target, ect) and the already too high msrp which is based on the second market prices for the cards instead of what the charge for other decks with the same amount of cards (duel decks, other event decks), will lead to rampant price gouging.

I predict the will initially sell for $200-$300 dollars and then decline quickly to settle at around $150-$175. this is just my prediction and could vary depending on the cards in it.

Please wizards, show that you learned your lesson from commanders arsenal and the large negative reaction it recieved and prove me wrong.

Just saw the video promo for Born of the Gods. The only thing missing at the end is the "neigh-ing" (is that even a word?) of Xenagos, or whatever passes for a satyr's maniacal laughter. It just didn't feel complete w/o it, IMHO :-)

mulen wrote:

I really hope that wizards learned something from the fiasco that was commanders arsenal and not do the modern event deck in limited quantity.  Without knowing any of the cards in it based on their recent track record it seems like a bad idea.

My prediction is that it will have mostly moderatly priced cards and then 1 or 2 cards (mabe jace or a pair of eldrazi) that werent in mm in it. This along with a low print run (which they will likely do) and the fact it wont be sold in big stores at msrp (walmart, target, ect) and the already too high msrp which is based on the second market prices for the cards instead of what the charge for other decks with the same amount of cards (duel decks, other event decks), will lead to rampant price gouging.

I predict the will initially sell for $200-$300 dollars and then decline quickly to settle at around $150-$175. this is just my prediction and could vary depending on the cards in it.

Please wizards, show that you learned your lesson from commanders arsenal and the large negative reaction it recieved and prove me wrong.

Maro has already told us the event deck will be reprinted as often as is necessary to meet demand.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Mtg the movie huh? I don't know about everyone else, but my first reaction was this. There's a good chance that after I rent this movie at my local library (I'm not paying money to see Jace), my reaction will still resemble my first reaction.

#MTGMovie

Just one question: Does Simon Kinberg play Magic?

Not: "Is he going to learn the game?" or "Did he ever see someone play?" or "Will the game be explained to him in great detail?"

Just: "Is he one of those guys who are looking forward to February 1-2?"

I don't expect him to be a tournament player of course. Kitchen table would be enough or maybe even better.

I don't know whether to be excited (First Class and DoFP) or scared beyond belief (Transformers, GI Joe, and Battleship). The Magic universe is large enough where Kinberg can get away with anything, but i'm kinda afraid the storyline is going to be horribly cliche. It doesn't help that i can't help picturing a magical ripe off of Transformers. A dorky teenager awakes his spark, and he gets caught up in a war or conflict of some kind. Not to mention, they will probably give him a old wise mentor to teach him his spells. Sorry, but i just don't trust Hasbro with a movie script.

On top of all the cliche-ness. The protagonist is probably going to be atleast aligned to white, while the antagonist is going to be aligned black. I doubt they are going to give the hero the ability to rip the souls out of people, or just out right killing them, with a spell. Not when they are marketing it to kids anyway.

I'd go see a magic movie if there's a good promo card that comes with the ticket.

Urzon wrote:

I don't know whether to be excited (First Class and DoFP) or scared beyond belief (Transformers, GI Joe, and Battleship). The Magic universe is large enough where Kinberg can get away with anything, but i'm kinda afraid the storyline is going to be horribly cliche. It doesn't help that i can't help picturing a magical ripe off of Transformers. A dorky teenager awakes his spark, and he gets caught up in a war or conflict of some kind. Not to mention, they will probably give him a old wise mentor to teach him his spells. Sorry, but i just don't trust Hasbro with a movie script.

On top of all the cliche-ness. The protagonist is probably going to be atleast aligned to white, while the antagonist is going to be aligned black. I doubt they are going to give the hero the ability to rip the souls out of people, or just out right killing them, with a spell. Not when they are marketing it to kids anyway.

You do realize that there are really only about 6 plots out there when you break them down to that level. The one you described is called the "hero's quest". It's been in use sice Gilgamesh was written, and humainty hasn't gotten tired of it yet.  We keep telling the same story over and over.

I'd have to wait to see the previews before I make any judgment calls.  It could end up good or really bad depending on the story and characters.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

rabbimoshie wrote:

Urzon wrote:

You do realize that there are really only about 6 plots out there when you break them down to that level. The one you described is called the "hero's quest". It's been in use sice Gilgamesh was written, and humainty hasn't gotten tired of it yet.  We keep telling the same story over and over.

The Hero's Journey is so ingrained in the history of our world, almost every culture has some form of it. The Odyssey, a source of "inspiration" for the current block being rolled out, had such a story at its heart. You can even find it in the Tarot: the Major Arcana describes, in order, the Hero's Journey. Joseph Campbell called this the monomyth, because it was so prevalent:

Joseph Campbell's Monomyth: The Hero's Journey

It is also part of the known three act system, and is one of the oldest examples of the Rule of Three: The first act being the seapration from the known, the second is the journey through the unknown, and the third is the return to the known, following the climax. Most stories are, ultimately, distillations of this, with "twists" of various elements.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

rabbimoshie wrote:

Urzon wrote:

I do realise that, but with Hasbro's style and level of story writting, i'm afraid that the plot might be a bit barebone. Which is what i meant about the magical ripe off of Transformers. It was a Hero's Journey, but the plot was so lacking; it basically boiled down to giant alien robot cars and big explosions. Hopefully, Hasbro gives Kinberg a bit of freedom when it comes to the story, and he gets the chance to flesh out the characters and plot. I would hate to see the Magic universe has get degraded to card board villains and big magically explosions.

Come on, we all know this is going to be the Dungeons & Dragons movie but with "Moar Jace".  It's going to suck so much.  I can't wait!

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Amarsir wrote:

Come on, we all know this is going to be the Dungeons & Dragons movie but with "Moar Jace".  It's going to suck so much.  I can't wait!

You hit the nail on the head of what most people are afraid of. 

It could be really good or really bad depending if they use premade magic lore, or do some hollywood crap where they try to represent actually playing the card game into the movie (see peg shaped bombs in battleship). I just hope the gear the movie toward adults, because if they make it to appeal toward kids or young teens its going to suck (see star wars episode 1).

I saw star wars 7 times in the theator

an interesting point is there were many things to notice in the detail in the background and the music score

Hardware Wars

Of course a buddy flick super fantansy would be distinct from other current super fantasy productions.

Scary Movie is a franchise and magic is ripe with parallels

Matt_Holck wrote:
Scary Movie is a franchise and magic is ripe with parallels

And it has Wayans!  Another nod to the D&D movie...  ;)

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

What is The Nothing - The Neverending St

Pokemon created interest in pet rocks by casting the hero(planes walker/player?) as the trainer

The Dungeons and Dragon Movie

is that band still around?

open with sinbads seveth voyage

that is good

the characters fell in and out of focus like players making it some weeks and not others

This movie is fun because it really shows how much effort the writers took into acquiring the best script possible, the best director, despite having (marginally) decent actors for some of its roles and even some very good ones for others (Jeremy Irons' performance was great in its hamminess, as was Bruce Payne's Damodar in this and especially in the sequel). I've watched them all because of how corny they are, how enjoyable they are when taken out of the context that they are ever meant to be seriously good. And that's sorta reflective of my perspective on all but the very earliest of Magic: the Gathering's novels. Everything after the Ice Age series of novels is just basically bad, dimestore novel tripe. No offense to the writing abilities of many of these writers, but they are short-form specialists, where context isn't all that necessary. But long-form writing takes a different set of skills that WotC hasn't exactly been known for.

Go ahead, Wizards, see if you can get Brandon Sanderson or any of a host of other fantasy specialists who excell at both medium-form and long-form writing to help you cleanse your script of your usual "polish." Have them pen out the basic structure of your story, characters, and plot twists, and then when you are done plugging all the idiotic phrasing you need to make it "feel" Magic, have them go back in there and take it all back out. The problem with some of these stories is that the writing requires the reader to be told about the quality of the universe at every twist and turn. D&D suffered because you were inundated with nerd terms left and right; they were never used when necessary, nor were they opted out from when the reader could tell what was happening by the rogue picking a lock or a wizard wiggling his/her fingers. It is not necessary to have your characters explain the concepts to the audience at every turn if you can clevery use the action of the sequence, the transition of scene to scene, or special effects to demonstrate the transition.

Perhaps, unlike some detractors, you will need to present it as a "coming of age" story, one where a youth is taken under the wing of a mentor who then teaches that youth about controlling the chaotic principles involved. The audience is being engaged in the lore behind the franchise by the set-up premise of the eduction of a young planeswalker. (And god, please, can we have these be women? Can it please pass the Bechdel test for its first full 30 minutes? I am sick of this pairing always being old man and young boy.) That said, there are many ways to go about disabusing the audience -- your audience, and the market for the cards -- that the set up is required.

Scenario.

Location, a card store, in the modern era. It may take place on a world much like our own, a plane much like our own, but different; no one has to refer to the world as anything, as no one on their own world tend to do so (as on this planet, the names for the world are the same as the general locality in which your culture arises: the world, the planet, Terra, Earth, the land, etc.).

A girl is learning to play Wizardry: the Happening, a popular and lucrative card game, and is engaged in the dialogue that happens between many players with her best friend, also a girl. She is fun, careful, loving of the experience of gaming. She likes to win, but she revels when her friend wins, too. Queue conversion about how "you are so red" or "you are too green to be calm." They tease about the silliness of the name since there was never a Wizardry: the Something Else. You are being introduced to the terminology as the camera shows you their fingers holding appropriately colored (and designed) cards. But circumstances lead this young woman to realize she is different when, whilst leaving the store after a fun day gaming, she is hit by a car. The spark awakens, and she traumatically planeswalks away.

Witness: Chaos, as the twisting interstices that connect all planes of existence are shuffled by at blinding speed; she is blazing among countless realities, with no understanding of what she sees. A familiar scene arises; a room appears across her vision, and she seizes upon it as order amongst chaos, and she is there. Queue scene change to the introduction of the story's premise, the overarcing situation into which the girl planeswalks, as a wizard -- a planeswalker in disguise -- and her inhuman companion, using mocap technology and artfully acted out skills not unlike Andy Serkis's performances in Rise of the Planet of the Apes and the Lord of the Rings, sense the disorder of the plane as a new 'walker has appeared. But this planeswalker, unused to her power, is now setting about her in chaotic fashion, causing destruction. So she must be stopped ... and trained.

This is a golden opportunity to introduce the concepts of mana, attachment to mana, and the twisting of it into spells and summoning aspects, much as the wizard's companion was summoned. Introduce the concepts of the planeswalkers fragility but also near god-like power, and the need to keep this identity secret. And for once, show that black mana arises from corruption and death not gone to lightly; but that balck mana is not equal to evil, but can be cleansed by its uses and application. From selfish desires, to unlimited potential and output. Make it stem from graveyards of no peaceful rest and places where things go to decay. Do not make a Louisiana marshland your concept of Black mana. More Dark Ritual sources, less Toxic Deluge sources. The wizard-planeswalker teacher can then introduce our young woman to the concepts by showing her (magically) the past students, not all planeswalkers, who have gone on to specialize in other aspects of mana, including the passive order of the white fields and open spaces; the calming but relented push and pull of the boundless oceans beneath boundless clouds; the boiling potential of giving things up of the self to gain greater future potential; the unbridled forces of fire, which must be fueled by discipline and attention; the endless cycle of death and rebirth and the overencompassing aspects of growth, to endorse rather than exclude life. Our young girl can even think of Darwinian evolution for the latter.

This one's a freebie. You can use this concept, if you ever see this, and I release this as CC-BY. Have at it. But whatever you do, don't make the same mistakes you make with your own writers, or your past ventures. Some of the D&D books are very well written, the novels by Weis and Hickman -- two well-regarded authors -- among them. Go for that style, and not this garbage you peddle nowadays as "Magic novels." (Apologies to Jenna Helland, Doug Beyer, and the rest, as I know you mean well.)

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

thanks

Arranging driving pricipals into 5 colors creates a map over which difference and simularities can be drawn

Jane and the Dragon - Knight Light e can be explored.

In the beganning, there was only amplitude along rods

white light and black shadows danced on cave faces

Then music declared there was more than just shadows

that imaginations could render frequency.

Of harmony, light coned to red, green and blue

and the old way of the twin must reckon with the triplets.

Kind of reminds me of Elesh Norn...

Qilong wrote:

This one's a freebie. You can use this concept, if you ever see this, and I release this as CC-BY. Have at it. But whatever you do, don't make the same mistakes you make with your own writers, or your past ventures. Some of the D&D books are very well written, the novels by Weis and Hickman -- two well-regarded authors -- among them. Go for that style, and not this garbage you peddle nowadays as "Magic novels." (Apologies to Jenna Helland, Doug Beyer, and the rest, as I know you mean well.)

Considering what you just submitted for review, I'd be real careful what I termed garbage. I mean, kudos for putting your idea out there, but... y'know what, nevermind.

Anyway, the new Gold token looks cool, is it the first artifact token ever?

The Hive

Alpha

: Creates one Giant Wasp, a 1/1 flying creature. Represent Wasps with tokens, making sure to indicate when each Wasp is tapped. Wasps can't attack during the turn created. Treat Wasps like artifact creatures in every way, except that they are removed from the game entirely if they ever leave play. If the Hive is destroyed, the Wasps must still be killed individually.

deworde2510 wrote:
Anyway, the new Gold token looks cool, is it the first artifact token ever?

It's the first non-creature artifact token I think of. You could cheat out artifact tokens by using followed footsteps on animated artifacts, or by turning enchantment tokens into artifacts with Mycosynth Lattice, but I think this is the first that starts as a token artifact that isnt' a creature.

Gild is the first card to create a noncreature token that is not a copy.

Sign In to post comments