12/9/13 - Featured Article: Typhoon Haiyan Charity

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of the feature article Typhoon Haiyan Charity, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Not that donating shouldn't be its own reward, but I was just thinking that you (WoTC) could raise a LOT of money for any charity at will by printing up an exclusive promo [legacy staple] and sending one out to people for every X dollars donated.

"Every $100 donated gets you a foil Force of Will"  - you'd have lots of $400 and $800 donations instantly.

While I do completely agree that getting the word out is very important to help, especially a month later (this is around the time when donations are needed the most), I completely agree with ElvishSniper's stance. Actions speak much louder than words. Getting WotC or Hasbro to take the initiative and proactively raise money themselves would be the best way for our community to help. I was just thinking of dollar donations from the company for direct help when reading the article, but I actually like ElvishSniper's idea even more. The reserve list be damned for this occasion; it seems completely trivial compared a country that got hit with an earthquake a few weeks before the typhoon and needs as much help as possible. This is the time when WotC could raise a significant amount of money and really help its PR that has been suffering so much lately. 

It seems inappropriate that Flores' article comes here, but I guess no one made a new "featured article" thread for it.  So I just want to say:

The flashy moments someone topdecks Lightning Helix are great. But the real genius to this game is when a player figures out what his or her outs are and plays to them. If someone has a four-outer he or she is going to miss most of the time. He or she isn't going to hit it and you are never going to think about it.

This is why I love Tom Martell.  A great player who talks about actual great plays.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I'm interested to see what your new column will be. 

Sign In to post comments