12/6/13 - Latest Developments: Developing Devotion

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

This is going to sound more harsh than I mean it to, but i felt this article lacked depth and insight.  Yeah, devotion is better with more of it.  We all got that instantly.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Who said blue is always a control color?

I know who didn't. Wizards XD

Every color gets a CMC4 god? Let's make the blue one CMC3.
Aggro color red gets Goblin King and Goblin Chieftain at CMC3? Here blue have Lord of Atlantis and Master of The Pearl Trident
Wild Nacatl banned in Modern? Here blue have Delver of Secrets
Need to shake up Legacy with a powerful creature? Why not give it to blue, the color of powerful creatures? True-Name Nemesis

For me, the one thing that they knocked out of the ballpark was the Gods and their weapons, so flavorful, so original, so effective.  The Gods cycle of Theros is almost as ground breaking as the initial introduction of Planeswalkers in Lorwyn.  Everything else in Theros, meh.  As a draft format, meh.

this article has not answered what for me is the most basic question: Why was white shafted so badly? Green has devotion creatures if great strength, though bad current positioning. Blue has one of the best in Master of Waves. Black has a merchant who cuts hard deals. red has a minotaur who can blast the face off your opponent. And white has an evangel that is basically just a far worse master of waves and much slower, and really its only other option is to try to use nykthos to spamm heliod tokens. Why was white decided as the color of terrible devotion, and one of the least played current colors?

so ramp is combo ?

gruulsmash wrote:

this article has not answered what for me is the most basic question: Why was white shafted so badly? Green has devotion creatures if great strength, though bad current positioning. Blue has one of the best in Master of Waves. Black has a merchant who cuts hard deals. red has a minotaur who can blast the face off your opponent. And white has an evangel that is basically just a far worse master of waves and much slower, and really its only other option is to try to use nykthos to spamm heliod tokens. Why was white decided as the color of terrible devotion, and one of the least played current colors?

Devotion is primarily (meaning in commons / Limited) in black and green. Then come red and white, both with only one uncommon not counting their God. The red one turned out to be interesting while the white one has an obvious design, a Limited build-around that may or may not work. Blue is the least devotion-centric, because it only has one mythic apart from Thassa. However, development thought that blue devotion was tricky, and that they needed support, so they pushed Thassa and Master of Waves.

It's not like they decided white to be the only bad devotion color from the start. And green's not really that good, to be fair, in Constructed.

"Standard is shaping up to be a great format, with devotion being an important part of many different decks. It's also important that devotion isn't the only thing that you can do. We like making lots of exciting new things, but we work to make sure that any given thing isn't so powerful that nothing else is worth doing. Given the success of Esper Control, white beatdown and other non-devotion decks, there are plenty of options in Standard."??????? Standard IS devotion right now. It's not diverse or creative. What about heroic and monstrous? 0 heroes and 2-3 monsters used in competitive standard and none to the extent of the RBU devotion bombs. Which is fine. It's okay. Devotion was too powerful but there are 2 sets in Theros Block left to support diversity and to un-screw white. An article celebrating a balanced mechanic and a healthy format, though? That's a bit presumptuous...
Oops, and bestow! See I even forgot a mechanic. That hardly seems like the result of a balanced set. Any more I missed?
Sign In to post comments