12/3/2013 RC: "The Most Fun I've Had in Modern"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I've been playing Mono-Green devotion in Modern since Nykthos was available online.

Genesis Wave is wrong. Wave < 6 is terrible in the deck, and once you're casting Wave >= 6, you've got 9 mana spent.

For 9 mana, you can just win with Tooth and Nail.

http://deckstats.net/decks/8607/39889-green-devotion

Is "Ondøej Z.'s Tokenswarm" deck missing Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx?

No offense, but this is just Modern Genesis Wave-Elves, which has been on the casual scene of Modern since forever except replacing Elves with cards that are actually more expensive in terms of dollars, and probably worse.  I actually think I like Elves better for casual because Elvish Archuid is just better at producing mana than any other creature, much better than Lotus Cobra, and is .25 versus all of those mythics that cost an arm and a leg.  The only real addition I see is Garruk + Nykthos, which is totally value, but could just as easily fit into an Elves list.

One card that you may consider is Realms Uncharted.  I have an unnatural love for this card.  I'm not sure if this is the deck for it but it is basically a Gifts Ungiven for any deck that has 4 different lands that it wants, except that it is green, and costs 1 less, which is absolutely outstanding if you think about.  It doesn't even matter how your opponent splits if you have Eternal Witness.  If it were me I would replace the Sylvan Scrying and Harmonize for more Realms and more Witness.  Sylvan is good but Realms does it twice.  Harmonize is also a good draw 3 for 2gg, but Realms is at worst a draw 2 for 2g, and at best a tutor for the two specific cards  that you need.  Realms can produce awkward splits if you are looking for Nykthos specifically, but is still a decent card draw engine at worst, and with Eternal Witness is the nuts.  It also opens up a minor Life from the Loamengine, which is another thing that I have tried to real results.  Frankly, I don't know why Realms doesn't get more love as I truly consider it to be a cheaper, green Gifts in the right deck.  In other words, the nuts.