11/25/2013 FTL: "Offense and Defense"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I have been running a precursor golem deck for a while - it's white/blue so I didn't include Sigil's Blessing (which I like by the way), but I did include Shadow Rift, which makes your army essentially unblockable and easily draws you 20+ cards in the process. I know there are more cantrips that can be used, but it's a casual deck at best, so I decided to stick to the one.

I like the "Can't touch this" deck.  However I am surprised that Idyllic Tutor was used over Enlightened Tutor.  While it is true that Enlightened Tutor gives the opponent a chance to remove the enchantment you find, the methods needed to remove it are not many.  Also, ET can be played at the end of their turn so you have mana to cast the enchantment on your turn instead of having to pay 3 to find the enchantment and wait until you can cast it on the nest turn.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

awwwww, no arena fight?

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Excellent article. Thanks!

On another MTG site I am active on we have been discussing Precursor Golem and copy effects. If we understand the rules correctly the math on copy effects is a litle wacky and varies from the simple C=P(N-1)+1 formula that you gave once you have more than one Precursor out. The first copy effect resolves as you said giving you a total of 2 Precursors and 6 vanilla golems. The second one however has some interesting results because of how the stack works.

• Cacling Couterpart is cast targeting a vanilla golem. It goes on an empty stack.
  • Two Precursor Golem triggers go on the stack above it. Stack bottom to top is CC - Precursor trigger - Precursor trigger
  • Top Precursor trigger resolves putting 7 copies of Cackling Counterpart on the stack. Stack bottom to top is CC-Precursor trigger-CC-CC-CC-CC-CC-CC-CC
  • The 7 Cackling Counterpart copies resolve putting 5 vanilla golems, and 2 Precursor Golems which put 4 more vanilla golems into play. You now have 4 Precursor Golems and 15 vanilla golems, one of which was the original Cackling Counterpart target. Stack bottom to top is CC-Precursor trigger
  • Next Precursor trigger resolves putting a copy of Cackling Counterpart onto the stack for each golem besides the original target that could now be targeted, making 18 copies. Stack is now 19 Cackling Counterparts each targeting one of the golems
  • All 19 Cackling Counterparts resolve putting 15 vanilla and 4 Precursor that put 8 more vanilla into play. You now have 8 precursor Golems and 38 vanilla golems.

For non-copy spells you can always use C = P(N-1)+1, so for Sigil Blessing you have 8(46-1)+1 = 361 copies making each non targeted golem 380/380 and the total damge to be done 17,466 If my math is correct and my understanding of how the triggers would work on the stack is too.

Edited because my math wasn't correct.