11/5/2013 RC: "The Key to My Spellheart"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I assume this is a copy and paste fail?

erdana, sans-serif">
  • The one exception to the above is mana fixing. Fortunately, for this article you won't have to worry about this one—this deck is one color!
  • Oh, heeee. I love the idea of using Gatecreeper Vine and Axebane Guardian (along with a helping of other defenders) to ramp up to Colossus of Akros. That's an awesome plan. 

The Elite Arcanist-Triton Tactics deck is rather amusing as well. And I have to respect that Off To The Races deck for the blistering speed. I love Trait Doctoring as a repeatable Heroic source... yep, your submitters have some awesome ideas, Gavin :D

Hi, i was playing around a little with the Author's deck, just casually with some friends as i have been away from magic for a long time and I'm not very aquinted with the new cards/decks.

Was wondering what a good Sideboard would be for this deck? 

And what kind of decks that could mean trouble.

Thanks.

A little disappointed in the deck that was presented.  I don't really see how Spellheart is a very interesting card to build around.  But whatever, I guess.  The final product looks solid enough.

A couple of the ideas in the other submitted decks look awesome, though.  Elite Arcanist plus Triton Tactics looks amazing, although the Unicorns need replacement, probably by Izzet Keyrunes or Hidden Strings (or a mix of both?).  Too bad there's no good way to grant haste consistently in the format. :/  Guess waiting for counter backup before going off is going to have to be good enough.

Delnai wrote:

I assume this is a copy and paste fail?

erdana, sans-serif">

• The one exception to the above is mana fixing. Fortunately, for this article you won't have to worry about this one—this deck is one color!

Thanks for pointing this out! I'm not sure what happened there - the version I submitted had the correct wording.

antiee wrote:

Hi, i was playing around a little with the Author's deck, just casually with some friends as i have been away from magic for a long time and I'm not very aquinted with the new cards/decks.

Was wondering what a good Sideboard would be for this deck? 

And what kind of decks that could mean trouble.

Thanks.

I'd imagine if you were looking at sideboard options you would definitely want some tools for against control since your burn spells aren't as good against them. I'd probably play several counterspells - probably Counterflux (if it's within your budget constraints) and Negate.  Negate is only two mana, and Counterflux definitively answers cards like Aetherling. Your deck is already well set up against beatdown, but a few more cheap removal spells could be worth considering. You might also want an additional finisher like Aetherling (once again, if you can get them) to bring in against removal/Thoughtseize heavy decks. As far as bad matchups go, I would probably be worried about control decks more than beatdown decks - hence the sideboarding plan for them.

Hope that helps! 

I've been toying around with a very similar deck concept (as it appears many have).  Do you think it is a waste to say, cut a land and try and squeeze in some Quickens?  Mostly just to get some velocity going, but they also provide more triggers for the Pyromancers and more graveyard fodder for the Chimeras.  I know you couldn't add them in the article per your no new rare policy, but given that they are basically junk rares price-wise, do you think they would be a good fit?  Also, what about a copy or two of Cyclonic Rift (also rare, I know) to deal with invonvenient permanants that snuck onto the board while you were powerless?

im playing something similar, i replace the opportunitty with epic experiment (incredibly fun card that won me some games in the moment i play it), i got better results like this but i still have the opportunity in sideboard against control, replacing the experiment of curse.

Sign In to post comments