10/30/2013 UR: "The Ten Commanders"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Its always cool to see the flavor of these new legends and see how their abilities tie in. However I would like to have known what plane they were all from, even if its a new made up one we may or may not ever visit.

So,

Jeleva - Innistrad

Prossh - Dominaria

Shattergang Brothers - Ravnica

Derevi, Empyrial Tactician - Alara

and the rest are unknown? I support Vega_Z27. They don't feel flavorful enough if we don't really know their context.

I believe they purposefully left out the planes in order to not waste time on devising them and not to generate too much attention to what would have been throwaway settings. I think they did the right thing. Also, cases like Archos are awkward.

My favorite entries are Gahji, Nekusar, and the Shattergang Bros. Gahji's story is actually a story and does a good job of giving him personality beyond "Roar, smash!" Nekusar's is less coherent, but I like how his paranoid, overprepared selfishness fits his color combination perfectly. And the Shattergang Bros are a refreshing bit of variety, mere hired mercs in comparison to the more threatening dragons and assassins and genius tacticians.

Most disappointing is Prossh: He could be any Jund dragon. Was hoping for a more unique relationship with the Kobolds.

Fireballmage wrote:

Most disappointing is Prossh: He could be any Jund dragon. Was hoping for a more unique relationship with the Kobolds.

But Prossh isn't a Jund dragon: he's a Dominarian dragon, from Kher. This is a flavor column, so please respect that "jund" means something more than just an attachment to the BRG color arrangment.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Qilong wrote:

Fireballmage wrote:

But Prossh isn't a Jund dragon: he's a Dominarian dragon, from Kher. This is a flavor column, so please respect that "jund" means something more than just an attachment to the BRG color arrangment.

I mean that his personality, portrayal, and relationship with the Kobolds seems like it could belong to any dragon from the shard of Jund (Just replace Kobold with Goblin and change the setting). After an entire block of BRG dragons like that, I was hoping for something different.

Btw, this is the first time something -anything- in Ravnica has had three colors. Guildless were portrayed as monocolor in RTR block.

Fireballmage wrote:

Qilong wrote:

Fireballmage wrote:

I mean that his personality, portrayal, and relationship with the Kobolds seems like it could belong to any dragon from the shard of Jund (Just replace Kobold with Goblin and change the setting). After an entire block of BRG dragons like that, I was hoping for something different.

As I said in the other post on WotC's need to flesh these out, yes they are all effectively throwaway characters. They have no personality, no real story. The only character that has received any sort of "story" is Sydri and even then, her "aspect" is merely sympathetic.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Sign In to post comments